RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Scratch building 105" WS S Connie L-1049 (Pics added) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/4538333-scratch-building-105%22-ws-s-connie-l-1049-pics-added.html)

Props4ever 02-15-2012 11:51 PM

RE: Scratch building 105

You got that right!, it sure is like that n every scale aircraft is different in its own ways n have there own different methods of build that can be taken as different n newer challenge. There are definitively similarities also from one to another too.

I thinking on getting this Hitec 5985MG servo for my elevators. I think these have more then enough torque that will ever be needed for this model. http://servocity.com/html/hs-5985mg_servo.html

Flap build update:

Going to make light leading edge, add hard balsa blocks at locations where hinges will be, but before this, i need to add couple more ribs where flap's tilting actuator will be glued in the body of the flap.
I'm also thinking on getting 1/16" thick G10 sheet to make these newer tilting actuators from. I think making these actuators from G10 will be good move, light yet super strong, instead of getting these made in aluminum...

Props4ever 02-18-2012 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Last night i was going to glue top skin of the flap #1 but had to stop due to lack of enough fiberglass skin sheet for flap #2. I'm going to make add top skins of both flaps together so if i need to change something with in the structure, i can easily do on both flaps at one time.

I just did my layup for second fiberglass sheet using 2 4oz cloth sheets together one on top of another. Both are 45 degrees to each other. To make these sheets i use 2 1/2" thick glass panels. I layup on one panel and compress it with another glass panel by sandwiching layup in between to form a nice even sheet. This time after the layup i used peel ply cloth to soak up all the access resin, this way only needed resin will remain on the layup. I learned this from B1B Bob, lets see how it turns out after resin gets fully cured and sheet is formed....

Props4ever 02-18-2012 02:40 PM

Went to LHS yesterday to get few items, i bought 1/4" x 1/16" x 36" CF flat strip to use as rear spar for flap #2, small robart point hinges for the CF slider support rods, 1/32" x 4" x 12" aircraft grade ply sheet to make inner formers to make mounts with wingtips. Later tonite i will work on both tips tanks on there inner guts and then will layup them with satin fiberglass cloth and zpoxy lamination resin. Hopefully by the end of this long weekend, both flaps and both tip tanks with tip mounts will be done.

Props4ever 02-19-2012 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New fiberglass sheet is now ready for use, it's fully cured, trimmed all set for usage...

To show the difference between older and newer sheets, i have placed a section on older on top of new sheet. This new sheets has same strength as older one yet it's alot lighter in weight.

So needless to say, peel ply stuff really works!

Props4ever 02-22-2012 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Flap build is progressing at slower pace. For some reason i'm just not feeling good health wise, mostly due to such a crazy winter we have. It's like in the morning you have 3" of snow, mid day its slushy n by nite it's clear as if snow never happened!
Some times temp is 6-7C, then it drops to double digit in -Cs, just freaken crazy weather!.

Had to shorten the chord length of the ribs, as they were 1/4" too long. All ribs were cutt off at front n the re sanded into leading edge shape again. Taped top skin on the structure to see how fully built flap would look n operate in the flaps bay hooked up to newer actuator, results were positive with manual movement.

Started making the leading edge by gluing 1/2" x 1/2" hard balsa square stocks cut to fit in the spaces between certain ribs, rest will get leading edge made for 1/16" balsa sheeting curved into shape.

FlyerInOKC 02-23-2012 06:54 AM

This will be a beauty when you are finished. My father in-law worked for the airlines and the Connie was one of his favorites.

invertmast 02-23-2012 08:41 AM

Why not just install the 1/2" sq balsa continuously done the flap LE then have the ribs butt up against it. The 1/2" balsa will then act like a spar as well giving you a stronger flap.

Props4ever 02-23-2012 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Why not just install the 1/2'' sq balsa continuously done the flap LE then have the ribs butt up against it. The 1/2'' balsa will then act like a spar as well giving you a stronger flap.
Thomas, it's all about the weight saving, not much but still want to save what ever n where ever i could.
I will also add fiberglass on the leading edge, that will give me good strength. I'm also going to make fiberglass LE sockets also as i did on elevator trims and glue the sockets at the LE location in both flap bays.

Props4ever 02-23-2012 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Leading edge is done on first flap panel. Now all i need to add couple more ribs besides exact location where flap's tillting actuator's airfoil part will be glued in the flap's body.

I used plainer to shave off access balsa from the blocks till they were roughly close to the shape needed, then sanded the curve smooth. Flaps is perfectly flat and strong.

Slow Low 02-23-2012 10:09 PM

Nice work Sammy.

Props4ever 02-23-2012 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Slow Low

Nice work Sammy.

FlyerInOKC
This will be a beauty when you are finished. My father in-law worked for the airlines and the Connie was one of his favorites.

Thanks James and FlyerInOKC for kinds words and appreciating my work, i have come long ways on this project, i need all the encouragement i can get to finish this model now.
I'm sure with your help it will get done real soon.

FlyerInOKC 02-24-2012 07:58 AM

DROOL! [X(]

Props4ever 02-24-2012 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Back to finishing up ailerons trim tabs.
Well, for now right aileron and it's functioning trim tab assembly have been complete with couple of hinges installed. Just need to make it's mechanical hook up for functionality.

As for the 2nd flap panel, a fellow modeler gave me really cool idea, he make his flap ribs out of fiberglass sheet, so now i will be making ribs for second flap panel from my fiberglass sheet.
I will see if single layer rib will be enough or couple layered up will be better for strength and durability. Also if there will be substantial weight increase if 2 layered ribs are used....

Props4ever 02-26-2012 07:31 PM

Looks like RCU is back up to it's lightning fast loading speeds up again, Great and thanks RCU admin !...

Started to work on big 1/4 scale Mustang for next few days, doing it's repairs and getting her flight ready now, should be back on Connie soon as Mustang is ready to go for touch up paint!

King George 02-28-2012 12:49 PM

JUST SPENT THE LAST 2 1/2 HRS GOING THRU YOUR THREAD TO FIND YOUR FLAP ARRANGEMENT. WILL YOU BE SHOWING YOUR LINKAGE ARRANGEMENT? HELPING A FRIEND BUILD A EC121 SUPER CONNIE WHICH HE WAS A NAVIGATOR. i HAVE A BUILD OF A RS-14 FIAT ON RCSCALEBUILDER. USED A TORQUE ROD HAD QUIT A FEW PROBLEMS BUT FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT. YOUR IDEA FOR SPLIT FLAPS IS A MORE DIFFICULT BECAUSE OF HEIGTH RESTRANTS. YOU NEXT POST WILL BE VERY HELPFUL. I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THIS BUILD WONDERFUL JOB.
KING GEORGE

Props4ever 03-01-2012 02:26 PM

Hi K George,

Yes i will show it step by step how i will get the flaps on the model for all to see, im glad n happy that you like my build and can make use of my techniques for urself and ur friend's benefit. What scale is ur friend's EC-121 model?

Anyone wants to see first ever landing of B787 Dreamliner on Canadian soil !!, i just got back from the airport and made a video of B787 landing here at CYYZ at 1341 hrs today 1st March 2012....

King George 03-01-2012 04:57 PM

It is 132" we will be watching appreciated.
King George

Props4ever 03-01-2012 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: King George

It is 132'' we will be watching appreciated.
King George

That's a Don Smith S Connie or EC-121 with that wingspan...Some built pics would be great to see his build.

Sam

Props4ever 03-03-2012 01:42 AM

Back to work!!!

As of tnight, i have already cut 6 new ribs for flap number 2 out of fiberglass sheet. Cutting these individually and then sanding there edges one by one exactly same, is nothing less then making them out of wood!
Hopefully this weekend will see both flaps structurally complete. Pics will come soon.

Props4ever 03-03-2012 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Flap #2 has now started.

First 6 ribs were made at 4am today, rest 4 were made juss now. I made one extra just in case i will need it.

Next step will be to make interconnecting notch for the rear CF spar to interlock with the ribs.

Tell you one thing is for sure that making these 1 at a time is no different then making ribs out of balsa wood!...takes same time to trim and sand into exact same shape n profile.

Note for Admins: I tried to make this very post on here at 4pm today, now it's 1024pm here in Toronto. Picture upload crashed and i wasn't able make this post!!!

Props4ever 03-04-2012 07:06 AM

Just found out that Winch Servo that i bought for the flaps has been returned to the sender!!
Now is suppose to express mail it or deliver it to my place.....
Once i get it, i will be able to it up on the mock up n test every thing on it first as old school ways of building
airplanes..

Props4ever 03-05-2012 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Started making notches for the CF spar around 830 pm, was done doing that till midnight. Then did dry assembly of all ribs, spar on the lower skin panel.
By 2am all ribs were glued to spar with slight negative camber on TE. I it's 348am all rings are fully glued to the lower skin panel including LE negative camber.

Props4ever 03-05-2012 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After flat assembly was fully dried, i lifted it to see how straight n level would it's skin would be, well VOULA!!!!

It's perfectly straight n level!....

Props4ever 03-05-2012 02:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
-Both flaps in there bays of center wing section.
-Left flap in it's bay close up
-Right flap in it's bay close up

Both flap panels together...

Props4ever 03-05-2012 07:39 PM

This site is really going KOKO now, tried to log in 4 times and it crashed!!!!

The way things stand at this point of time, i don't think this model will be ready in April but i'm working on it to get it done soon as i can. Whole model will first get covered with aluminum foil, one panel at a time and then upper half of the fuselage and all
3 fins will be painted white and rest will stay as bare aluminum....just this metal covering process will take a while to get done properly....