RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   cardboard airplane plans! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/5852392-cardboard-airplane-plans.html)

triplej 05-14-2007 09:18 AM

cardboard airplane plans!

1 Attachment(s)
Title says it all:) I built a glider out of cardboard, it is designed to look similar to the f-22 space shuttle and YF-23... its good looking and flys verry well considering its wing is just a flat pice of cardboard! you can (probly) use depron for a lighter airframe and put a motor on the back but i made it as a hand lanch glider built with cardboard! you may also use it for a slope plane, i have not tryed that though.

i drew it up on MS paint so it is not a scale drawing and the words are spaced funny, so it may take more then a skimming to understand it all! the basic measurements and anges are listed so you should be able to make the plane without alot of dificulty, if you have any questions please to ask!

Also, the plane is made from corogated cardboard with a little "cereal box" cardboard mixed in. i used CA glue to tack the pices together and white glue (elmers) to actuly glue everything together. use a VERRY thin layer on bouth serfaces alow to dry till tacky then press together, after it is dry run a bead of glue along it to make it strong and give a smooth look:)

you can use these "plans" or give em away! i realy do not care as long as you dont make money off my work! have fun, experiment and tell us what you did and how it effected the flight performance or "look" of the plane!

frednjess 05-14-2007 09:27 AM

RE: cardboard airplane plans!

Ought to be fun until it rains. [>:]

triplej 05-14-2007 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well... JUST BUILD IT OUTA COROPLAST! :eek::D

LOL...

Anyway here is some pics

BMatthews 05-17-2007 10:52 PM

Out of depron in a smaller size this could be a fun electric as well.

Well done!

triplej 05-18-2007 10:18 AM

:D thanks for the kind words... maybe sombody would make some REAL plans (hint hint...?);)

stewmeat95 02-13-2010 02:10 AM

I just made this. Do you use yours as a free flyer? or is it RC? Also how much did yours weigh? This is my first ever homemade plane..........wait this is my first plane ever! Any tips or help for the first flight?

Tall Paul 02-13-2010 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Expect to be disappointed.
These specialty models require some experience to be flown successfully.
I've built a few flat planes from foam board and Depron foam, some of which are fliers, and others are miserable failures.
The exotic looking types like the F-22 and F-117 were the m.f.'s.
The flying wing and delta flew very well as gliders.
Stick with conventional layouts for your first efforts, and you'll be a lot happier with the results.

stewmeat95 02-13-2010 01:17 PM

Yeah i was excepting that. Just need to hook up the elevators and ill try it out. Wish me luck, ill report back

BMatthews 02-15-2010 12:25 AM

To borrow a phrase from our own Dick Hansen "if it's light enough it'll fly well". This definetly applies to anything model sized with a delta wing. Paul, I suspect the MF's were that way because of the weight added by the extra structure that served no purpose other than window dressing. Granted such a design won't be superb as an aerobatic model but if it's light enough and has some significant degree of power it should do well.

dfljk;h 06-07-2010 05:52 PM

I made your plane to your very specifications and it wont fly AT ALL. so could you give me some suggestions on how to make it work.

dfljk;h 06-07-2010 05:55 PM

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;"><ul>[*]<span style="font-size: -webkit-xxx-large; text-decoration: underline;">qwerttyuuiop[phfvgfhjklu;ilkkjhfgdfgsfju,5e  </span>:)[youtube][/youtube][/list]</blockquote>

BMatthews 06-07-2010 10:21 PM

Dfl' the designer hasn't logged onto RCU since sometime back in 2009. So you need to depend on us to help out I guess.

Just what is it doing besides the rather generic description of "not flying at all"?