RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Hughes H1 Racer plans? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/9221041-hughes-h1-racer-plans.html)

speedy72vega 11-01-2009 07:53 PM

Hughes H1 Racer plans?

Does anyone know of a source to find plans for the H1? I would love to build one of these planes in a 50-60" W/S. The only kit i've seen is the Maxford H1, but it's a bit small.
If anyone knows of plans, or anyone who makes a kit in the size I mentioned, I would greatly appreciate a steer in the right direction, Thanks.

P.S. I would also like to build the XF11 too, any info on plans for that would be appreciated also.

fritzke 11-03-2009 08:11 PM

RE: Hughes H1 Racer plans?

Dumas kit & Model Airplane News, Nov 1963 (Walt Musciano design, CL, heavy-ish construction.)
A good start for your own plans though.
Dave

speedy72vega 11-03-2009 11:06 PM

Thank you very much Dave, I'll look into that. It looks more and more like i'm going to have to draw my own plans from pics, I can't find any plans anywhere. I'l just have to try to take dimensions from 3 views, but even finding good clear pics is hard. I've found some pretty good pics of Jim Wright's full scale replica, I'll probably use those pics. It's a shame he died in that plane, was an amazing replica.

beepee 11-04-2009 03:56 AM

Speedy,

Short wing version or long wing? Hughes had it configured with both. I have a great 3-view with both wings, but the book it is in is in very deep storage.

Good project!

Bedford

CoosBayLumber 11-04-2009 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: speedy72vega

Does anyone know of a source to find plans for the H1? I would love to build one of these planes in a 50-60'' W/S. The only kit i've seen is the Maxford H1, but it's a bit small.
If anyone knows of plans, or anyone who makes a kit in the size I mentioned, I would greatly appreciate a steer in the right direction, Thanks.

P.S. I would also like to build the XF11 too, any info on plans for that would be appreciated also.
(Got sticky keys on keyboard here, so excuse teh misspellings as they don't all go down)

I can remember that Bill Northrop of Southern Nevada had listed a few model A/C plans in his booklet of the Hughes racer. He is getting up there in the age catagory today, and you may need to write to him then. He does however have a wonderful memory. Same with the folks over at Aerodyne plans.

As for the XF-11 I got the story in an old edition of some magazine, but doubt you will find anything on it for a while. Someone pointed out to me the errors in the movie recently.

Wm.

speedy72vega 11-04-2009 08:33 PM

beepee, at this point, either version would do. I could probably modify the long wing to the short and vice versa, as I found a website that lists the NACA numbers for both.

CoosBayLumber, Thanks for that info! I will do some research and see what I can come up with.

Everyone's help is GREATLY appreciated. I have always bin a big fan of HH, most people don't realize the contributions he made to modern aviation.

JL1 11-09-2009 07:57 PM

Jim Pepino plans had an 80" H-1. ( I have a set) According to the precicion cut kits website the plans are now owned by Service now owned by Henry Budzynske 540-336-1492

speedy72vega 11-09-2009 10:06 PM

Thank you JL1, I appreciate the help.

nicoladestro 12-18-2009 08:23 AM

Hi.Have you an email address of Henry Budzynske ? I nedd a J. Pepino plan. Thank you
Nicola

ARUP 12-22-2009 12:01 PM

Paul Matt has drawings of both versions which could be used to generate plans.

yyk1966 12-28-2009 12:42 PM

[link=http://www.vth.de/shop/warenkorb/artikel-einzelansicht/5271/df4f37106a60c2de1335b39da8923136.html]1:4 scale [/link]

Daniel_M 12-28-2009 01:01 PM

CoosBayLumber, what kidn of errors are you talking about for the XF11? I hear that in the movie it's a huge r/c model of the airplane made by Aero Telemetry Corp.- so if you're talking about erors which would prevent the plane in the movie from flying...:eek:

Just my two cents,
Daniel.

Super_Chief 12-30-2009 04:40 PM

Does anyone know of a source to find plans for the H1? I would love to build one of these planes in a 50-60'' W/S. The only kit i've seen is the Maxford H1, but it's a bit small.

PM sent

speedy72vega 12-30-2009 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: yyk1966

[link=http://www.vth.de/shop/warenkorb/artikel-einzelansicht/5271/df4f37106a60c2de1335b39da8923136.html]1:4 scale [/link]
Thanks yyk, do you know if there's any way to translate the site to english? The link takes me to a site thats in German, I think. That would be the perfect plane for me!

ARUP, do you have any contact info for Paul Matt?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the help.

Aastan 12-31-2009 03:55 PM

If still looking for plans visit this site: [link=http://www.profili2.com/eng/plans.asp]Plans[/link]
Search for "Racer". It has a free download of the H1B in electric. Could be converted and scaled up.

Ken Kehlet 01-05-2010 12:53 PM

:)I own the Harold Osborne Plans and Scale Drawings. ;)I have the Hughes H-1 Scale Drawing 1"=1' showing the ~31.75" Long Wing and the 25" Short Wing Models in FIVE (5) Views. Drawing size is 42" wide and about 64" Long. I can make copies, I own all the Original Harold Osborne Master Drawings, everything from Rubber Power to 42% Scale.

[:o]Except the one (1) R/C Plan that Osborne drew of the H-1 that appeared in Scale R/C Magazine many years ago. That R/C Plan had about a 55" wingspan. It may still be available from Bob Holman.

Send me an e-mail or PM and I will send you my 9 Page Plans and Drawing Listings.[8D]
Regards,
Ken

racingjeff1 04-04-2010 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
61" wingspan H1 racer built from plans, coverted to electric power, weighs 8lbs RTF. The plans are from uncle willies website. It is an extremely difficult plane to build, as there are errors in the plans as well as details that need to be changed to reflect current retracts. The biggest issue is the CG is marked over an inch too far back, which basically made for a very interesting first flight. The plane is very fast and a handful to fly, but looks great in the air.