RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Scratch Built Cartoon Cub Model (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/9494340-scratch-built-cartoon-cub-model.html)

robotronski 02-10-2010 09:38 PM

Scratch Built Cartoon Cub Model

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of my latest creation. Its is an all balsa cub that has a 38 inch wingspan and weighs 475 grams with a 7.4 2000mAh lipo installed. Battery alone is 102 grams. Had to use that size battery for nose weight as it is such a stubby plane. The tall fuse allows for an internal cargo bay that I use to drop a plastic cheapy parachute guy from the dollar store. It flys great at slow speeds and all the guys call it the "Flying Pork-Chop" I call it the Chub-E-Cub. It was quite a project to frame up as it is mostly 1/4 sticks all over the place. Has a servo actuated sliding hatch on the bottom for the chute drop and a magnetic hatch above for battery access. It even has white led landing lights below the motor where the cowl curves upward. Its does not like too much wind due to all of the side area. No ailerons as they are not needed for just simple fun flight. Rudder has plenty of control as it is. Landings are fun and I use a bit of down elevator once I touchdown to keep it planted on the runway.
[img][/img]

BMatthews 02-13-2010 03:42 PM

RE: Scratch Built Cartoon Cub Model

Nice little design. With clear windows instead of the parachutist it would also make a superb side view only camera model for casual aerial photography. Maybe a second fuselage for a different option?

Any pictures of the fuselage framework before covering?

robotronski 02-15-2010 07:49 PM

Sorry, I took zero pix on the project, wish I did now. Look close and you can see the shadow of the diagonal 1/4 inch sticks as the fuse tapers towards the tail. I am now building a 3-D super light airframe and am taking some good photos this time. Have 640 grams of thrust and foresee an all up flying weight of around 440 grams so far.

I like your camera idea... I already have a 2.4GHz wireless video link leftover from a Heli Camera project. Video only, no stills.

Yuu 02-16-2010 10:12 AM

How about posting a drawing of the fuse outline and tail feather outlines for those who "can't draw a line to save a picture"? I guess I could fake together a 38" Cub style wing.... or use one off a crashed project.

robotronski 02-17-2010 10:09 PM

Man I wish I had more info to pass on for construction help. The wing has a flat bottom airfoil I drew up from scratch. I made the CG balance at the highest point of the rib profile and I always scratch build my wings with the main spar at the CG. Makes balancing a real no-brainer for a homemade wing. I've found that anything will fly with an attempt of a decent copy of an airfoil of almost if it isn't grossly out of balance on the CG and the plane is light enough to start with. I am currently obtaining my Phd in aerodynamics from the TLAR school of aircraft design (snicker...)

I will try to take an upload a few detailed photos on a sunny day in the future.

Thanks for the interest.

BMatthews 02-18-2010 01:53 AM

Straight on side view with a ruler or yardstick sitting along the center line would be fantastic. Same for as flat on a top view as you can manage. Toss in a few key measurements of the wing and stabilizer spans and chords along with the fin/rudder height and width and folks that can fake it should be able to more or less come up with something. I'm keen enough on this that I might even CAD up something really basic from the dimensions. Oh, don't forget the width and max depth of the fuselage so we can duplicate the pork chopnessly depth of the profile.... :D The shadows or light bleed through on the side pictures show the uprights pretty clearly as you said. And with the wing press down one panel to a table and measure the dihedral at the other tip.

robotronski 02-18-2010 08:16 PM

I found a tracing of my 2nd fin/rudder. During the tail construction,upon review, I decided the 1st tail I had completed from balsa just did not appear to have enough area so I went about 17% bigger and am glad I did. . The plane has plenty of rudder authority and has good ground tracking with rudder only. Tail wheel is a free-castering setup, and is not connected to the rudder at all. Drew it up in a pencil outline and still have it today.

Need to get it scanned somehow...

Also, found my original template for the airfoil I drew up.

It's been a while since I've scanned/uploaded much stuff so hope ya'll go easy on me if when I screw it all up...

BTW, I have a bad itch for a "PHAT" A6M Zero really nagging at me at the moment. Would be super light and have ailerons.

robotronski 02-19-2010 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some Pix I shot today. Nice day, no rain or snow !!!

[img][/img]

robotronski 02-19-2010 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Overall Height Profile...

[img][/img]

robotronski 02-19-2010 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Framework seen through monokote film...

[img][/img]

robotronski 02-19-2010 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Elevator [img][/img]

robotronski 02-19-2010 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rudder[img][/img]

robotronski 02-19-2010 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bottom Profile, this thing is really quite thin. Width across bottom is much less than at wing mount (tapered profile, wedge-like)

[img][/img]

robotronski 02-19-2010 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cargo Hatch[img][/img]

robotronski 02-19-2010 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fuselage Interior view
[img][/img]

robotronski 02-19-2010 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Motor Compartment

Maxx Product Outrunner _ They make the best motors by far, you do get what you pay for here...

[img][/img]

BMatthews 02-20-2010 12:16 AM

Yah know.... you CAN attach more than one pic to a post, right? I think you're just trying to up your post count.... :D

I know they all appear at the bottom after the text but just add a numbered list for descriptions.

robotronski 02-21-2010 04:14 PM

Would love to upload more than one at a time, but the words for todays lesson are " Iffy and Dial-up". Poor connection times out sometimes in the middle of an upload and I so I chicken out and do one file at a time every now and then...

I live in the sticks here... But I do have an awesome field to fly from as a result. I'll take that over a high speed cable modem any day!

BMatthews 02-22-2010 04:44 PM

Ah, gotcha! :D Carry on and sorry for the quible. I'd all but forgotten that there's some poor souls that are still struggling along with dialup. It's amazing how "high and mighty" us high speeders can be.... :D

robotronski 02-25-2010 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, at least these are faster than my internet connection...

[img][/img]

Look in the back and you can see an huge 8 foot Telemaster wing in progress.

And yes, its a Ninja 250 !!!!!