RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   model airplane news may 2010 shoestring racer scratch build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/9604289-model-airplane-news-may-2010-shoestring-racer-scratch-build.html)

doxilia 05-02-2010 07:46 PM

RE: model airplane news may 2010 shoestring racer scratch build

Slightly larger versions...

28%

http://modelairplanenews.com/ME2/dir...9929919B3FC423

http://www.topnotchkits.com/index_files/TN_Kit5.htm

41%

http://modelairplanenews.com/ME2/dir...7821662A62EA7B

I'll probably do a 20% of this design eventually (45.6" span).

David

doxilia 05-03-2010 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Mooney_driver

I went down to the local store to buy the May MAN today but as luck would have it, the June issue is out and the May issue is gone. Does anyone know of a chain that keeps magazines on display past the display date on them? I do not have a local hobby shop even remotely close so that is not an option.

The Shoestring sound like a nice plane and wanted to give it a try.

Thank you.
Jim,

I just sent you my full size plans via email. You might want to read this thread from the top. It sounds like you might have missed my first post which contains reduced versions of the plans.

David.

PigHeaded 05-03-2010 10:30 PM

Hello,

I have finally started mine. Iwont be any where near as fast as doxilia. But I will post as I make progress.

Here I have printed out doxilia's parts list
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/...ing/PartsS.jpg

And then I went out to the only hobby shop in the area and stocked up on some balsa and plywood.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/...g/woodpile.jpg

Here is my rough cut parts pile. I still need to cut lighting holes outand sand them to final shape and then I will start glue-up. I have used 2 sheets of 1/8-36" balsa sheets and 2 sheets of 1/16-36" sheets of balsa. I also used some bits of 1/8 plywood. I still need to cut out the cheeks and pants.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/...parts-pile.jpg

I am in the process of locating all of the small pieces. I decided that for a model this size I am not going with a plastic canopy. Iwill just get some pink foam and shape and hollow. I can't wait to see doxilia's finish look.

I am glad to see so much interest in a free plan. I have a ton of these small plans, but this was the first one that caught my eye and made me want to build one. I hope to see more of these types of plans. If this keeps up, I might have to renew my MAN subscription.

Thanks,

Jerry</p>

doxilia 05-04-2010 10:31 AM

Hey Jerry,

those plans look cool! Where did ya get them!? [8D]

Rather than lay both the fuse side and the doubler templates on separate sheets, I first cut my fuse side. I then used that as a template to produce the other fuse side and the doublers which are merely cut short. You can then spray glue the doubler template on to the taped doublers (together) and make the cutouts. Once those are done, align the four stack as it will be built and tape together and sand lightly to uniformity.

Identical sides/doubler pairs are key in producing a straight fuse... In the past I've taken shortcuts and saw the unsatisfactory results. F2 may also need some trimming to suit the tristock on the bottom.

If you have a fuse jig, of course use it, otherwise, it is helpful to lay a single long top stringer between F1 and F4 and back to the fuse rear to align the fuse. Of course, the stringer has to be straight. Further, draw center lines on all formers and build over a straight line on your table. Before you glue any of the formers in, make sure the nose and tail are held together in alignment. The bottom sheets will lock everything in place.

1/16" balsa is tricky because it doesn't offer any inherent self-aligning properties - it just stays wherever you've applied slight pressure.

David.

Chemac2 05-04-2010 10:38 AM

Hello All,

We, (my brother and I) will also be attempting a scratch build (our first!) based on the MAN shoestring plans. We have been following the thread and are excited at the prospect of putting together this model.

David, could you e-mail us a copy of your CAD plans? I did send you a PM with a similar request but am not sure if it went through. My e-mail is [email protected]. I will take some pictures of our projectand post as we progress. Looking forward to news from others on their endeavors as well.

Regards,

Dave &amp; Ken
Denver, CO

doxilia 05-04-2010 10:54 AM

Dave,

sent them about 1/2 and hour ago.

David.

jimm 05-05-2010 02:31 PM

Great build! I have been looking at the plans as well. I would like to get a copy of your CAD plans if I could.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

doxilia 05-07-2010 11:01 PM

So what's happening guys? Any further progress?

I confess I haven't. Can't find the inspiration to get some simple covering ordered (and work has me loaded lately...) Maybe this weekend.

David.

Wollie 05-08-2010 01:52 AM

Hi doxillia

Have just read your thread and this has always been one of my favourite racers, but have never really got myself to build one of these. Would you be so kind as to sending me a copy of your CAD plans I would really like to try my hand at a "Shoestring". My e-mail is [email protected]

How far are you actually from test flying yours? Would like to see some pics of it actually flying and if you could give some sort of pilots flight report.

Great building thread, looking forward to the final pics and good luck with your flight test.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Regards

Wollie

doxilia 05-09-2010 10:06 PM

Wollie,

thanks for your comments but I should point out this is not my thread - I just happened to contribute a little more since I got a head start.

My build has actually stalled temporarily as I am in the middle of a work contract. When I get back to it, I will have covering in hand, and I expect it will go pretty quickly at that point. As far as the build goes, all that's really missing are the cheek cowls (one is made) and fairing them into the fuse and wing top. The fairly easy covering job could be done in an evening but the canopy area, some of the nose and the wheel pants will need to be painted which is a little more time consuming and requires good weather. Believe it or not, it is May 9th and it snowed here today! Yesterday it was 22C and sunny. Don't ask about the weather pattern 'round here!

In any event, I hope to have her finished quickly when I get back to her. I have four other models on the work bench which are also close to completion so I'll have to decide which to attack first. I'm a bit of a classic pattern buff so I'll probably prioritize those first (two scratch builds 40" and 48" span and two kit builds 52" and 64" span). As inspiration to finish the Shoestring (which technically is my 7 year old son's), I'm looking forward to your builds! :D

I hope everybody to whom I've sent plans (or otherwise) will show their work on the thread. Of course, assuming angry_elvis doesn't mind making this a "social build" thread!

By the way Elvis, are you building one?

David.

Chemac2 05-10-2010 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

We have started on our project and so far things are going pretty well. We are using primarily the original plans from theMay MAN issue. However, we are also using the plans prepared by Doxilia for reference and clarificationwhen applicable. David, you should note that I did send a replyto your e-mail with your plans attached, but it was kicked back to me as "undeliverable" for some reason.

Anyway, attached are some pictures of ourbuild so far.I know the pictures on this thread and others have been a great help in sorting out various details when building. Has anyoneelse made some progress?

Dave &amp; Ken

doxilia 05-14-2010 10:46 PM

Dave, Ken,

good stuff. Keep the posts coming. It might be easier to view your photos if you post JPG files rather than PDF's - just upload what is dumped out from your camera.

How's the progress coming?

David.

walker737 05-24-2010 04:12 PM

Sig does not make the landing gearblanks anymore (gb-002). Where can I find these blanks or what are you using for a replacement?
Building two plan built Shoestrings at once (son and daughter need one each!).

Joe

doxilia 05-25-2010 10:46 AM

Joe,

sounds like a fun project. The kids really take to the bright yellow and red colours.

Try this for LG:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ920&P=7

I happened to have a set that was sent to me with a bunch of accessories that worked to a T. Check the measurements. If it's close, it will work fine.

Guys, show us some more pictures of your builds!

David.

walker737 05-30-2010 12:56 PM

David,

Thank you for the landing gear tip, ordered from tower today.

How is everybody sheeting the Shoestring. This is my first model I have sheeted with compound curves. This model seems a little sensitve to wetting balsa and bending around such a small area. Should I just cut strips and sheet it that way? Open to suggestions

Joe

doxilia 05-31-2010 01:58 PM

Joe,

glad that helped.

Sheeting fuses takes a little practice but size is really not that much of a factor. The technique is the same regardless of size although you can "plank" a fuse deck if you're looking for additional strength in the nose of a larger 40 or 60 size model for example.

This method might help. Measure the length of the fuse deck that needs to be sheeted (lets take the rear of the fuse as an example) and cut a piece of 1/16" leaving about 1-2" oversize. You need this because when you apply the sheeting to the top of the fuse side, the grain will run parallel to it and the sheet will curve so that it will end up shy of the front - make sure that doesn't happen. Once you've measured where the front and rear of the piece should go to cover the fuse half, use some wood glue along the edge and apply the sheeting end on to the fuse side top. Use plenty of masking tape to pull the sheeting snug against the side insuring there are no gaps (sand beforehand if needed).

When the glue is dry, wet the balsa side with plenty of warm water (or ammonia solution - e.g., windex) and when the sheeting is very pliable, bend it over the formers to create the deck. You're basically molding the balsa at this stage. Make sure that when you wet the sheeting the water doesn't get inside the fuse or on to the formers - you want these to remain dry. If you hold the wet sheeting in place over the formers with some wraps of tape, it will dry in position and will naturally curve to the desired contour when the tape is removed.

Before removing the tape, mark the front and rear location where the sheeting intersects the mid point of the top stringer. Draw a line with a straight edge between the two points and then carefully trim the sheeting with a #11 blade making sure you don't cut through the stringer. This will leave you with a "custom" piece of deck sheeting.

At this point, after removing the tape, you can add wood glue to the former tops and along the top stringer (half of it only) and roll the sheeting on to it again holding it down with tape. The first half is easiest because you can add, spread or remove the glue as needed since you have access to the inside. The second side is a little trickier because you won't but just make sure you have glue where needed.

When you cut the second piece at the top along the stringer be careful again not to cut through and try to make the joint between the two sheets as clean as possible. If needed, you can always add a little filler to the seam afterward, let it dry and sand the entire deck smooth after everything is dry.

This should help get the fuse top sheeted with three pieces per half (front, wing and rear) and it will also be lighter than using a bunch of unsightly strips (less glue).

David.

Chemac2 06-01-2010 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK...... we've made some progress. Included are some more pictures. Still need to finish landing gear and a few other things then, ready to paint/cover.

David, Did you ever finish yours?

cuban68 06-23-2010 05:08 PM

any one still have these cad plans i got my plans made thru staples thur my digital edition of man mag but like the way doxillia put them for cutting onto balsa any help would be nice thanks i ve asked several folks on this post for these cads from doxllia but no replies anyone help would be nice [email protected]

doxilia 06-24-2010 09:54 PM

Hi Enzo,

I received your email, PM and post above. I just sent you the plans which are 5 MB in size total (3 sheets). I hope they are not too large for your email account to receive.

Happy building! David.

walker737 07-04-2010 05:27 PM

This is my first electric airplane.  Could someone please give me some advice on what motor to use.  I don't need a system that will go so fast it will peel paint or do 3-D, just a nice balanced system for sport flying.  I would also like to use lipos.  Also do not want to break the bank....I'm building two at the same time.  The local hobby shop wants to sell me the latest and greatest.  Recommendations would be appreciated.<div>
</div><div>Joe</div>

doxilia 07-05-2010 10:25 AM

Joe,

post #41 makes some suggestions on a suitable motor. Power suitable for leisurely sport flying would be about 100-120W/lb. Given this model should weight between 16 and 20 oz., a 100-160W motor should provide ample power on a 7" prop. What you need to keep in mind is the size of the prop that you can spin and what kind of thrust can be developed with it. I think you will find that the thrust and torque generated by small electric motors far exceeds that of equivalent glow engines back in the day.

As far as batteries go, 3s lipos in the 1000-1500 mAh range should be suitable. Mail order hobby shops abroad sell these at a very good price. You will want to pick up 2 or 3 of them along with a good balancing charger.

David.

vic101 01-14-2011 09:28 AM

Hi David,

This is such a good loking plane and your cad work is excellent.

Would you mind sending me a copy of the dxf files if youare still happy to email them? My address is schroedervic "at" gmail.com (No problems with the size of the email.)

Many thanks!

Vic

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Hi Enzo,

I received your email, PM and post above. I just sent you the plans which are 5 MB in size total (3 sheets). I hope they are not too large for your email account to receive.

Happy building! David.

kestrel0222 01-15-2011 03:44 AM

NICE work!!!! I absolutely love this plane!!!! One of my all time favorites!!!!!

doxilia 01-15-2011 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Right,

well the time has come for me to post these for all posterity directly on the thread. Too many requests. As this thread becomes active again, I am oh so tempted to go back to the drawing board to produce a 25-32 size version. I just need to get my head around the FW, hatch system so that lipo's can be swapped easily. The hatch would go down with dowels in the front and magnets in the back - basic ARF style (not that I've every flown one).

I have a few designs to clear off the drawing decks first though.

If anyone who has my plans (well, Pat's plans re-drawn in CAD...), or has built a l'il Shoestring, and has some thoughts, recommendations on the larger version, please do post them!

Here are the plans for everyone - enjoy!

1) Fuse Plan
2) Wing Plan
3) Parts Plan
4) Fuse Formers Sheet

David.

P.S. Thanks to all who have expressed interest in my plans - I hope you're enjoying your Shoestrings! If and when I get the 25-32 version done, I'll be cutting that with laser for anyone who may be interested.

doxilia 01-15-2011 10:33 AM

Vic, Tom,

thanks for the kind words but the credit belongs squarely with Pat's simple and beautiful design.

How many people would be interested in a 30 size version? Would be very similar in design concept with a couple of mods to keep it light.

David.