Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Yokosuka E14Ys "Glen"

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Yokosuka E14Ys "Glen"

Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 PM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokosuka E14Ys "Glen"

I would like to find plans and info on this seaplane if it is possible. Any help would be appreciated. I was the light 2 person Japanese float plane launched from submarines and the only Japanese plane to make an attack on the US mainland during WWII.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Yokosuka E14Ys

There is a book, I actually have it. "War Planes of the Second World War, Floatplanes, volume six." By William Green, published in 1968.

Tiny book unfortunately, but great info text and also a tiny 3 view drawing.

May I ask, why that particular aircraft?

My guess is you'll have to draw your own plans from a good three view.

The wings are swept back Hershey Bar type, that is, no taper.

Anything on Google? Try this link.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/Nippon/backdoor.htm

Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

This is a good source for 3-views also http://www.the-blueprints.com/frontpage/
Just put "Glen" in the search box,there are five different images there,, if you join (free) you can download full size pics

good luck

Old 11-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

I picked up a book titled Japanese Submarine Aircraft by Tadeusz Januszeweski. It had a whole chapter on the Glen along with 1/72 3 views & cross sections.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 AM
chistech

Man, you guys are fast! I thought this plane would make a unique float plane and a nice companion to my buddy's Rufe that he will be building this winter. I kind of like the oddities of this plane like the "stuka" type ailerons/flaps, the mono-coupe type cowl, two seat configuration, different tail group, etc. I've never drawn my own plans so that would be a challenge. I have a cousin who is a Boeing exec. Maybe there is someone there who could take the drawings and make a set of plans! I'll have to ask him. I know he's told me in the past that a lot of the engineers fly RC and design their own planes. He is in the strategic defense department so I know he wouldn't do it himself. Does anyone know if this plane has ever been modeled and flown?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
scale only 4 me

Ted, I have these plans on the way,
http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2108
I'll be enlarging to 70" span, figure a 120fs or small gasser will do, I'm sure there will be a lot of re-engineering to do

Hardest part on that Glen I see is the Cowl and Canopy, the rest could be kit bashed from a pt-17 or other round fuse/straight wing kit??

good luck
Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
chistech

Hey, that's a pretty nice float plane too. The size is OK for me. When are you going to build yours? Maybe we can build two together, two different sizes and put both on a thread here! Then I could copy you again, Kingfisher, Jemco Hellcat, and now the M6A1! On the canopy, I'm in the packaging machinery business and I picked up a used skin packing machine from a customer. Skin packing machines have a top heater element and a vacuum table on the bottom. The plastic sheet is held firmly in a frame platen and then heated. Once it is at the proper temp then you bring the platen down and the plastic gets vacuumed over a plug. It has a 18"x24" platen so I can use it to make nice big canopies with the right plastic or multiples at the same time. Luckily we have a local plastic company the has the proper type of plastic for canopies. The machine is big enough to make a 7-8" draw. Could make plastic cowls with it too. I need to do a small repair on it and then get it fired up. Then I'll need plugs to test it out. I'll let you know as I bet you could always use a canopy for something.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 PM
scale only 4 me

Well I hope to get the cl-415 finished first, currently cutting tail section ribs and waiting on a balsa order,, but I do have a bad habit of putting that project on the back burner.

I just ordered the plans last weekend and when I get them and the enlargements I'll let you know.
If we did do the same size then we could use the same Molds/Plugs, the nice thing about the M6A1 is I' pretty sure the cowl is built into the fuse,, no seperate cowl needed
We'll see when I studdy the plans

It is funny how we both think of a sub based sea plane at the same time. I've been eyeballing the M6A1 for years
Old 11-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Darren40
My Feedback: (2)

I'd be interested in plans for a Glen as well, in the 65-70" span range ideally. The cowl, being a radial would be very easy to make. Its similar to a Norseman cowl I built awhile ago except tapered to the rear, but that's no problem. The canopy would also be very easy to make a plug for. I made one for a Aichi Val recently and its almost identical. However, I've gathered a lot of plans over the years and haven't run across this one yet.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM
chistech

It seems the "builder" in all of us leans towards doing something different. Even my Kingfisher painted in the scheme is different and that's why I like it more than the standard wartime version. (funny that scheme was like your original scheme too) If I'm going to build something now I want to go to the pond and not have someone else with the same thing. On the sub based float plane it happened because a guy in our club sent me the story of the Oregon bombing and it was all about the pilots and the "Glen". The minute I saw it I thought it was so different there couldn't be many with it. Maybe in model form it doesn't fly well and that is why there isn't any plans available. Someone had to have tried it down the road. Maybe it's too ugly for the masses! I'll keep looking and if I can come up with some sort of plans then it's just a matter of enlarging them to what everyone needs.
On the M6A1, I suppose if had had a bigger one that would be OK too. Building the same size would make things easier.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Using this 3-view, I can draw perimeter lines and lines over the lines you see in this 3-view.

I can then scale the drawing to any size quit easily and draw it on paper. All my scratch built projects are generally from my own drawings, done ecactly this way.

If there's enough interest?

Plus all the models could be different sizes. I'll also be glad to send this 3-view to anyone. You could print it out and scale your own drawings. The JPEG is at 300 dpi's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74306.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1530735  
Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: chistech

It seems the ''builder'' in all of us leans towards doing something different. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
On the M6A1, I suppose if had had a bigger one that would be OK too. Building the same size would make things easier.
Well,
I finally got the plans and had the enlarged, took longer than I hoped, but Im not ready to stat another project yet anyway.

I guess I should have done more research before i picked these plans, the outlines look fine, but the construction is mostly foam core covered in glass (not balsa sheeted), even the fuselage is shown using 3/16 foam w foam formers. A lot can easily be changed to balsa and cutting foam cores is easy, but it's a funny keel center built have at a time flat on the table. It's going to take major reengineering to make these plans a typical built up wood design