Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Northstar

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Northstar

Old 08-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Out in the Stix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northstar

Hey Guys,

I am currently building a Northstar by Balsa USA. I am wondering which is the best way to waterproof the fuselodge/hull? The directions say to strengthen the bottom with fiberglass tape but will that also waterproof it?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2003, 02:51 AM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Default northstar

Hi,
I'm building one for a friend. I built up a keel by using a half inch square stick along the mid line of the hull. I then used 3/32 balsa to sheet it to the outer edge. This made a boat hull with a small keel. Before I sheeted the keel I used a 3/4 forstner bit to put about 15 holes in the bottom of the hull. After sheeting I used expanding foam to fill the void. In addition I painted epoxy & alcohol inside the entire hull. I also used goop around the pushrod tubes.

I think that good overlaps on the covering & not installing landing gear will go a long way in keeping dry. We will see

Ps. I built the keel to support the weight of the fuel tank that I mounted where the servos were supposed to go. I moved the servos up to the next forward area. Should limit the amount of weight I will need.

I never understood the tank in the rear. When you first take off your plane will be severely tail heavy. The only accommodations I had to make were to build a cradle for the tank, add really long fuel lines & install a perry pump.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Out in the Stix

Default Northstar

Okay thanks rockhouse.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:53 AM
ayarpee
My Feedback: (15)

Default Northstar

Rockhouse, I am impressed. I just finished a Northstar but have not flown it yet. It does seem bizarre to have the fuel tank so far back. I just fiberglassed the bottoms and did it like they say. No wheels, careful covering with overlaps a lot. Will see. Let me know how they fly.