Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Help me... lost my Seamaster

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Help me... lost my Seamaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me... lost my Seamaster

Finally got my used ARF Seamaster flying off the water and man it flies great. Then evidently my plastic cleavis on the elevator broke and into the trees she went. I got to have another anyone know of any ARFs out there anywhere. I live on a lake so I got to get another.

Jim
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
goirish

Default RE: Help me... lost my Seamaster

at least you got to retrieve yours. Mine is at Davey Jones Locker. Brand new 70 4 stroke on it.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
cubfloater

Hate to hear that. I was thinking that I could have banked it toward the water but if I did I think I would have lost it too instead of shreading it. At least I got most of the parts to examine and see what still works. I only had an OS 46 2 stroke on mine but is a good engine. Next one if I can find it will also have a 70 4 stroke on it. Sorry for your loss!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Crash-RCU

Check out the Neptune for a replacement, pretty close copy of a Seamaster and you can still get them.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, Maxford USA carries the Neptune.

http://www.maxfordusa.com/neptuneboatplanev2.aspx
Old 03-01-2011, 02:10 PM
cubfloater

I'm sure the Neptune is a good plane but I'd really like to get another Seamaster. Even if it's another used ARF. I'll guarantee to replace any old potenially weak parts however. If I can't find one I'll try the Neptune. Need to locate some swap meets. Think I just missed one last weekend.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Neptune is identical in the outside, but built much stronger
Old 03-04-2011, 06:31 AM
cubfloater

Well bust my buttons... my flying buddy has one new in the box he said he'd sell me. Forgot he had one. Thank goodness for hoarders! Wonder how much I got to pay him for it?

Jim
Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM
FlyCrashRebuild

Is it a kit or arf? If a kit make sure you cut out 2 or 3 sets of balsa before yo build it so you can build more in the future.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
FlyCrashRebuild

ORIGINAL: goirish

at least you got to retrieve yours. Mine is at Davey Jones Locker. Brand new 70 4 stroke on it.
Is the water shallow enough to send a scuba diver in to look for it? That would be an intersting recovery attempt if you know anyone who dives.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:18 PM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

Here is one for sale

Ace Seamaster - 40 ARF
Item No: 726503
Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 AM
OntAeronut

ORIGINAL: FlyCrashRebuild

ORIGINAL: goirish

Is the water shallow enough to send a scuba diver in to look for it? That would be an intersting recovery attempt if you know anyone who dives.
Even if the water was say less then 100 feet deep, if there is any current at all, even a small amount, the plane could be anywhere in the lake. Air pockets trapped in the plane/motor etc will keep it slightly bouyant and allow the currents to take it along for a ride on the bottom of the lake. I have gone under looking for full size boats, motors and snowmobiles and you would be amazed on just how far away from where it went in it can be.

If you know someone that does dive, I would suggest if they can, go take a look for it. You may get lucky.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 AM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: cubfloater

Finally got my used ARF Seamaster flying off the water and man it flies great. Then evidently my plastic cleavis on the elevator broke and into the trees she went. I got to have another anyone know of any ARFs out there anywhere. I live on a lake so I got to get another.

Jim

Sorry about the loss of your Seamaster.

Hint: Save up all those plastic clevis' that come with ARFs and when you get a bunch, give them to some one in your club that you don't like. Your planes will thank you and you can chuckle to yourself when the guy plants one.[sm=72_72.gif]

Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: 42etus

Jim

Sorry about the loss of your Seamaster.

Hint: Save up all those plastic clevis' that come with ARFs and when you get a bunch, give them to some one in your club that you don't like. Your planes will thank you and you can chuckle to yourself when the guy plants one.[sm=72_72.gif]

That's not very nice.

Pete
Old 05-24-2011, 03:41 PM
cubfloater

Well I finally bought the Seamaster from my friend and what a friend he is. He would only take $100 for it! Now my next question is and this is the first time it has ever happened with at least 20 planes or so but I thought those things were nylon not plastic. So I have a good 10 to 12 nice planes with them on them. So what do you guys use (for clevices that is)? Metal? Do I need to change them all? Are some better (nylon) than others? I'd hate to lose my 100 hour Astro Hog to a plastic cheap part! It's getting old now too like 7 years or so sitting in the sometimes hot garage. Thanks for any imput.

Jim
Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Oberst
Banned

Well I finally bought the Seamaster from my friend and what a friend he is. He would only take $100 for it! Now my next question is and this is the first time it has ever happened with at least 20 planes or so but I thought those things were nylon not plastic. So I have a good 10 to 12 nice planes with them on them. So what do you guys use (for clevices that is)? Metal? Do I need to change them all? Are some better (nylon) than others? I'd hate to lose my 100 hour Astro Hog to a plastic cheap part! It's getting old now too like 7 years or so sitting in the sometimes hot garage. Thanks for any imput.

Jim

I haven't had a problem with the nylon on some of my ARF planes Jim, but I do like to use Sullivan Clevises on most of my planes and I slightly widen the holes on the nylon control horns. I get attatched to all my planes ARF and Kit, and if your planes mean anything to you like mine do to me, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your push rods and clevises. I use a small lock nut to keep my clevises tight on the rod. Now if your Sullivan Clevises threads don't fit your stock rods, then I would order rods that would have the same thread the clevis has.

Some ARF aircraft do use a cheaper nylon or plastic. If you even suspect that it's not very good, then I would replace it.

Good luck!

Pete
Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
cubfloater

Thanks and I'm dumb cause what broke was the part attached to the control surface. I can't even remember what they are called. It broke off just below the holes. I've never had a cleavis to fail. And I guess it could have broken from the crash but since I had no elevator I just assumed that was what broke but guess it could have been a bad servo or something then while going through the trees broke the part off. It was still attached to the servo. So actually they might be fine. Now that I just thought through this I need to check that servo. Can't remember if I did or not after the crash. Just assumed the broken part was the culprit. Thanks for your input.

Jim
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Oberst
Banned

Thanks and I'm dumb cause what broke was the part attached to the control surface. I can't even remember what they are called. It broke off just below the holes. I've never had a cleavis to fail. And I guess it could have broken from the crash but since I had no elevator I just assumed that was what broke but guess it could have been a bad servo or something then while going through the trees broke the part off. It was still attached to the servo. So actually they might be fine. Now that I just thought through this I need to check that servo. Can't remember if I did or not after the crash. Just assumed the broken part was the culprit. Thanks for your input.

Jim

No problem Jim. It's rare that a control horn or clevis would fail like that on its own. The only clevises and control horns I wouldn't use is from Kyosho, Nitroplanes or CMP, they are pretty bad in the quality department. But Great Planes, Hanger 9, E-flite, TopFlight, Seagull, KMP, ESM, Aeroworks and Maxford the stock clevises and control horns are usable just to list a few.

I would check the servo and I would also check your wiring for any short. If you hand turn the servo arm on the suspected damaged servo, and if you feel anything out of whack, then I would rebuild or replace that servo. Then I would check the servo by radio if it seems to feel OK.

It's fun playing the FAA to find out what went bad after a crash. I had a crash with my Neptune Seaplane this last week in front of 50 or so people. It was my engine that was the issue and I'm getting rid of it. Super Tiger is not what it used to be and it looks like I'm only dealing with O.S. and Saito for now on. I might buy a Perry Carb for that Super Tiger later on, but right now I'm pretty mad at the quality of that engine. The only reason I have the engine is because it came with the plane when I bought it.

Pete

Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

Stock full sized servos are so cheap now, I generally just trash them once they have been in a big crash. It's pretty wierd to have a control horn just break like that. I would check the others to see if they are brittle or something. Nylon horns should not break like that even in a really bad crash. The idea of it breaking in flight, for no reason is pretty hard to see. I would look to a dodgy servo or something. My 8U futaba radio, in PCM mode will enter lockout if the ch7 servo is moved to more than 120% of normal travel in one direction. If I set it to 119% everything works fine. No Idea why, and it's not a range issue, a non PCM RX does not have the issue. Almost caused a crash when I was paning the camera on my Neptune II. Strange combos of events can sneak up on you, and when something goes wrong, it's hard to figure out what happened.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: lupy

Stock full sized servos are so cheap now, I generally just trash them once they have been in a big crash. It's pretty wierd to have a control horn just break like that. I would check the others to see if they are brittle or something. Nylon horns should not break like that even in a really bad crash. The idea of it breaking in flight, for no reason is pretty hard to see. I would look to a dodgy servo or something. My 8U futaba radio, in PCM mode will enter lockout if the ch7 servo is moved to more than 120% of normal travel in one direction. If I set it to 119% everything works fine. No Idea why, and it's not a range issue, a non PCM RX does not have the issue. Almost caused a crash when I was paning the camera on my Neptune II. Strange combos of events can sneak up on you, and when something goes wrong, it's hard to figure out what happened.

So true.

I try not to go cheap on the servo's for fear that more might go wrong with them than the name brand. I only own JR and Hitec and have a few old classic Futaba's in my drawer. It seems that I get a few years without a crash and think I got this hobby licked, then I have a year with nothing but bad luck and I'm back feeling like a newbie. (Call it Karma)

I'm rebuilding the original Neptune for a Fall-Winter project. I ordered a the new Neptune V2 yesterday and heard that they made the modifications to improve the original version. When I called Maxford they told me that the original Neptune had defects and one of them is that the wing lacked support and only had 2 thin pieces of ply as a spar for strength to keep the 2 wings together. My wing broke right at the spar, so Maxford sold me the V2 at dealer cost. They didn't have to do that, but I guess they really do value their customers no matter how long we are off the warrenty.

My Neptune is the best plane I've ever flown, and heard that the V2 is the same. It's fun trying to land, they just want to keep flying! I have to force my plane down to get it to want to land in the water. LOL

I just ordered my O.S.46 AX for the Neptune V2 yesterday and I'll be running a Master Airscrew 10x7 3-blade and will be using a 2.5 Tru-Turn with it. I'm going to have flaperons on the V2. I had it on the original Neptune, and it helped me get out of glassy water without having to make any wakes to help get it out of the water.

Pete