Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Seaplane ARF's

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Seaplane ARF's

Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM
m1morrow
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seaplane ARF's

My Brother And I are looking for 2 .60 size ARF's

These will be our first "wet" planes but we are both experianced pilots. I have a OS 91 Surpass and a Webra 61 blackhead 2 sroke for power. Ihave my eye on a GP(if Ican find one) or a Notro Planes Seawind. My brother likes the Top Flite Cessna 182. I'm thinking the 91 for the seawind and the 61 for the cessna. I'm looking for scale performance for both planes.

I have seen people ask about good floats for the Top Flight Cessna But I have not seen a review or pictures of the plane with floats. I'm sure it has been done successfully. Any other ideas besides a Cub?

I'm probably going to trow floats on our tower hobbies .46 trainer before we fly the others also.

Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seaplane ARF's

Try the Thunder Tiger Cessna with the Thunder Tiger Floats, Tower has them
Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: m1morrow

My Brother And I are looking for 2 .60 size ARF's

These will be our first ''wet'' planes but we are both experianced pilots. I have a OS 91 Surpass and a Webra 61 blackhead 2 sroke for power. I have my eye on a GP(if I can find one) or a Notro Planes Seawind. My brother likes the Top Flite Cessna 182. I'm thinking the 91 for the seawind and the 61 for the cessna. I'm looking for scale performance for both planes.

I have seen people ask about good floats for the Top Flight Cessna But I have not seen a review or pictures of the plane with floats. I'm sure it has been done successfully. Any other ideas besides a Cub?

I'm probably going to trow floats on our tower hobbies .46 trainer before we fly the others also.

Thoughts?

Not sure. I have the Maxford Neptune V1 and V2. They say you can run up to a .60 but I had hardly had any room larger than a .55, plus a .55 is way too much engine for my planes. I do however have a Super Tigre .51 on the V1 with a Perry Carb and Max Muffler. It has the power of a .60 and I can still swing a 10x7 3-blade prop with a Tru-Turn.

I just started flying off of water last Spring, and it has brought the excitement back in me with this hobby. It's good to fly and do a variety of things- keeps the hobby fresh IMHO.

I explained to Maxford that it would be in their best interest to come out with new ARF Float or Seaplanes, there doesn't seem to be much on the market right now anywhere. I guess not many people in this hobby has tried flying off of water or has a interrest in doing so. It's too bad, I have a lot of fun at these float fly events.

Pete

Old 06-24-2011, 04:44 AM
nilsreinert123

I have the nitro planes Seawind with a 0S 75 two stroke ,and it is a very fun plane which i have had a lot of flights on after completing it this spring.

When airborne i can fly easy at half throttle. But it is good to have power during take off.

You have to learn the right trick to take it off and land it, but after i have learned it i have not had any problems, its a safe flier. See the last page of the nitro seawind thread for right CG and take off techniqe ! ( i did not get it of the water before i got the CG right and learned the take off techniqe)

It takes some time to build it right, and i have the servos for the elevator, rudder, and throttle in the front area using gold-n-rods. And have buildt the aileron and flaps servos into the wing.

Also i have used a rubber seal around the canopy and wing ends to make it as water proof as possible , because in the transition to planing a lot of water sprays on to the wings. (Be sure that the engine pylon is rigid, i have supported it with two aluminium bars from the firewall down to the fuselage.)

Go for the nitro seawind! If you do it right you wont be dissapointed!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: nilsreinert123

I respectfully disagree. The Seawind is NOT a good choice for a first seaplane! While it flys extremely well, it is for experts only on takeoff and landing.

My first choice would be the Seamaster or Neptune, but as was mentioned, neither is really a 60-size.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 AM
nilsreinert123

it is my first seaplane ,you never learn to fly a seawind with a trainer anyway, jump in it!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I realize that. It's just that you should try something a bit more forgiving for your first time out.

Do yourself a favore and do a search on RCU for the seawind threads and read up on it first
Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 AM
nilsreinert123

If you can fly 60 size warbirds ,scale planes with flaps it should not be too difficult. as i said , as soon as i learned the knack i have not had any accidents
Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Oberst
Banned

I have the nitro planes Seawind with a 0S 75 two stroke ,and it is a very fun plane which i have had a lot of flights on after completing it this spring.

When airborne i can fly easy at half throttle. But it is good to have power during take off.

You have to learn the right trick to take it off and land it, but after i have learned it i have not had any problems, its a safe flier. See the last page of the nitro seawind thread for right CG and take off techniqe ! ( i did not get it of the water before i got the CG right and learned the take off techniqe)

It takes some time to build it right, and i have the servos for the elevator, rudder, and throttle in the front area using gold-n-rods. And have buildt the aileron and flaps servos into the wing.

Also i have used a rubber seal around the canopy and wing ends to make it as water proof as possible , because in the transition to planing a lot of water sprays on to the wings. (Be sure that the engine pylon is rigid, i have supported it with two aluminium bars from the firewall down to the fuselage.)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I respectfully disagree. The Seawind is NOT a good choice for a first seaplane! While it flys extremely well, it is for experts only on takeoff and landing.

My first choice would be the Seamaster or Neptune, but as was mentioned, neither is really a 60-size.

I realize that. It's just that you should try something a bit more forgiving for your first time out.

Do yourself a favore and do a search on RCU for the seawind threads and read up on it first

I agree with MinnFlyer on this one. The Neptune V2 from Maxford is more for the advanced builder, but handles in the air like a trainer. Take offs and landings are very easy. The one I almost completed now (The V2) is almost as bad in the quality department as Nitroplanes. But buying ARF's is a hit or miss thing, I can't say that all Neptune V2 are bad because of one bad airplane. The directions are horrible, so if you have a lot of building experience then I'd say go for it.

I have friends that have the Seamaster and they said it was a very good plane, so I'll take their word for it.

The Seawind (Nitroplanes or GP) is not a good begginner plane, I've seen a couple crack up on landings and is not all that forgiving. I actually would feel more calm landing a DR1 to tell you the truth, and anyone who has flown a scale DR1 can tell you that it is very unpredictable and not pilot friendly. The Nitroplanes Seawind are also prone to cracking and need a bit of re-enforcing. The Neptune's, again however handles like a trainer, and it is very stable. It wants to stay in the air and I have to some what force it down a little to make it land. It does loops, rolls, spins, hammer heads, stalls and fly's inverted quite well.

If you are to buy any Nitroplanes it's best to strip it all down and build it from the bones up. The reason why Nitroplanes is so cheap is because they slap them together from the factory in China at a high rate of speed, and they have no quality inspection. Out of 3 Nitroplanes I've played around with, you can't use the hardware that they give you and all 3 the quality was very bad. But again, I couldn't use the hardware on my V2 Neptune either. (Matter in fact I was missing a bunch of items)

On the V1 Neptune I could use the hardware and the quality and the directions was a little better than the V2.

IMHO if you want a better chance in the quality department I'd stay away from Nitroplanes! There are 1,000's of Posts and Threads discussing how bad Nitroplanes is right here at RCU and RCG. But people can't resist a great bargan, and think they know better then become disappointed that they can't fly their planes right out of the box because the quality is so bad, or they have problems finding parts and or, the customer service is nil etc.

So if I were you if anything, I'd start out with the V1Neptune and re-enforce the wingspar, or the Seamaster. Again it's not for a .60 even though they say you can use one.

http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=55

JMHO

Pete
Old 06-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Oberst
Banned

Double Post
Old 06-25-2011, 05:27 PM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

I have a foam seawind, while it flies like a little dart in the air, it makes landing and taking off much more of a chore than I like. With suden power, the seawind will rotate and nose in. If it skips on landing, it's tricky to save without stalling. The seamaster clones like the Neptune are much longer, so they don't pitch over as fast. If I come in too hot or steep and skip, I can just bliip the throttle, pull up and come around again. The seawind also has a pretty high wingloading, this makes it fast, but it won't float around on landing. If you like the seawinds looks, it's a cool seaplane. Just not a good first seaplane. Look at the videos, you will almost never see someone screw up landing a seamaster, but there are plenty of wild landings and take off videos with seawinds. Seamaster owners aren't better pilots, it's just a much easier plane to land and take off with. If I set my elevator trim just a little high, I can take off and land hands off with my neptune.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM
hugho

You can't go wrong with the Seamaster. I've built three: the .25 size, the .45 size and I scaled up the drawings to make a 1.20 size. They are all good flyers.
Good luck,
HughO
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to look at the Thunder Tiger ( modelfly ) Cessna 177. I've had them and they are great with a 90 4 stroke or a 60 2 stroke. Their floats are just right for this plane. The only thing that you may not like is they are all plastic and if repairs are needed it takes a bit more thought to repair. It flies just like a trainer. ENJOY !!! RED