Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Radical Idea

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Radical Idea

I've got a Yamaha WaveRunner and I've been considering the Great Planes Seawind seaplane for a while since I live on a lake, but I decided against the plane for no reason in particular, it just didn't seem exciting enough for me; no 3D etc.

Well I was out on my jet ski the other day and I was giving a friend of mine a chance at the driver seat while I sat in the back. Back there it struck me; the passenger could be flying a seaplane or driving a RC boat to race the driver of the jet ski. I would just need to waterproof my transmitter.

Are there any seaplanes or boats out there that could keep up with a 60-70 mph jet ski?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Radical Idea

ORIGINAL: nick_onelove

I've got a Yamaha WaveRunner and I've been considering the Great Planes Seawind seaplane for a while since I live on a lake, but I decided against the plane for no reason in particular, it just didn't seem exciting enough for me; no 3D etc.

Well I was out on my jet ski the other day and I was giving a friend of mine a chance at the driver seat while I sat in the back. Back there it struck me; the *passenger could be flying a seaplane or driving a RC boat to race the driver of the jet ski. I would just need to waterproof my transmitter.

Are there any seaplanes or boats out there that could keep up with a 60-70 mph jet ski?

That's the kind of thing that gives the FAA ammo to take control over the AMA. What if the plane that's being flown hits another boat or person? If you are a AMA member then you would know that that kind of thing is not allowed because of safety issues.

If you decide to do it anyway just think who you might be hurting later on if some thing should go wrong.

Bad idea!

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow I didn't even consider that.

On the other hand, I live in a rural area with no local RC clubs within a 200 mile radius. There are very few people on the lake at any one time and the lake is huge, the largest in California.

I could find a secluded area of the lake and have like 6 acres of open water to myself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are many planes and boats that can far exceed 70mph.

Now is this something you should do?

Very Bad Idea!

Ditto Oberst

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nick,

Please be extremely careful if you go ahead with this scheme. There are a lot of potential downsides which not only can cause you grief and problems, but issues which can impact the overall flying community as a whole.

If you look on You Tube, someone has posted a video where he is flying from a moving boat.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, you're right, I'm a complete and total idiot. And unoriginal to boot! Thanks for letting me know in such a calm, constructive, and non-condescending way. 

Your nauseatingly thick air of superiority really opened up my mind to what you had to say.

I guess its true what they say: you really do catch more bees with vinegar, don't you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nick,
    it's more like you catch more sharks with forum posts than blood in the water.

I think the 60-70 MPH part of you plan is definitely pushing the bounds of safety though,, As you know a lot can happen at that speed on the water.

About 15 years ago a buddy and I took my boat to lake Mead,, It was my bachelor party weekend in Vegas baby,, He brought his Goldberg Cub to fly,, he flew it while I drove the boat 35-40 mph,, it was very cool as the plane was right there next to the boat as we scooted along the lake,, I wish I had video,, Good times

Good luck,, be safe
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't really think it'd be that dangerous as long as a little care was taken. You'd be surprised how fast the little electric Seawind is. I fly over a local lake here and mine is as fast as most things on the lake though no where near 60-70mph, maybe 50-55 tops?.
    Revver #125, Pico Owners Club #3
    R/C Anonymous. My name is Evan and I have not flown for 14 hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry double post
    Revver #125, Pico Owners Club #3
    R/C Anonymous. My name is Evan and I have not flown for 14 hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nick,

Please accept my sincere apology for the original post. I had no business posting such a piece of garbage, particularly when the source of my frustration was something totally unrelated to your project.

I have revised and edited the original post and I hope it is more acceptable to you.

Meanwhile, to give you an idea about how serious things have become, every time the President comes to town (LA) the AMA posts a NOTAR which effectively eliminates model flying for the duration of his visit plus a few hours. The field where I fly has a strict altitude limit and we are regularly visited by Airport Cops who threaten to shut us down for the slightest of violations. Meanwhile there is one local news chopper who loves to fly low over the field and complain if he even sees a model anywhere near his flight path. Basically if there is an incident involving a model, no matter what the circumstances, the modeler is at fault.

Once again, my sincere apology,

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for the apology Bob, I fully accept it and really appreciate it.
    Andbelieve me, your guys' point has been made; I don't plan on trying anything like this anytime in the near future.
    If I ever do it will be on the largest lake in California (Clearlake), on a weekday when the lake is almost deserted, with a small electric plane or boat, and at no where near the speeds mentioned. I would also use a cheap-o RTF transmitter so that if it was dropped I'd be out all of 15 bucks or whatever. But I don't think thepotentialfun that could be had quite balances out with the risk-factor.
    I'm sorry to hear they're such air Nazis where you live. I fly over my walnut orchard and the aforementioned lake which its located on; far from getting in trouble, theSheriff'sboat routinely comes to watch and try to get a chance on the sticks lol.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A bad day at the Basin Bob?? say it aint so,, I miss that place ,, miss living in Westchester too,,
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nick,

Back to your original question what plane? The little Seawind EP is a nice little flyer and could probably keep up with a fast jetski if you put a high Kv motor on it. The problem is the under some lighting conditions the color scheme blends into the background and it becomes hard to see. www.modelaero.com, makes a model called the Polaris which is a small, foam version of the Northstar. With the "hot" setup mentioned on the website the Polaris could keep up with almost anything on the lake. Since it is a "kit" it can be colored in a way to stand out against almost any background. Both of these models weigh less than 2 lbs. The little Seawind is pretty much limited to touch and goes plus basic aerobatics; the Polaris can be set up with a 1.5/1 thrust/weight ratio and guys are reporting some pretty crazy flying with it.

The big brothers to both of these models, the 71" Seawind (no longer available) and the Northstar (Balsa USA kit) both have been clocked at over 100mph with the right setup. Would probably outrun the Sheriff's boat. All four models do well with electric power, but the Northstar weighs about 6 lbs and the Seawind is on the order of 10 lbs. Spare battery packs are sort of heavy.

If you find the video on You Tube of the guy flying from the boat you will see that occasionally he needs to rotate 360 deg to follow the plane which is flying both the the front and rear of the boat he is flying from. If you were on a jetski this would be tough; you would need to be accomplished enough to keep the plane in front of you.

Scale,

Back in the old days, say 20 years ago, I don't ever remember the basin being closed for the President to visit town. The 30-40 nm limit they put in (measured from Lax) is pretty restrictive. The Van Nuys Airport Cops are either a lot more vigilant or there are a lot more people provoking them; they seem to be showing up a lot more often. Add to that the fact that at least 2 or 3 times a year someone crashes a jet and burns off the brush on surrounding landscape as the fire dept. practices putting it out and you are starting to get the picture. At least the guy who used to sit on the road and access the 72 Mhz frequencies to randomly crash planes is gone. I guess that is one of the benefits of 2.4 gig.
    On the other hand, there are a lot of good days too. With the Solar system the club put in for the recharging stations fuel is free if you fly electric.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nick,

You're in the wrong hobby.
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am? Damn, I guess the thousands I've spent on my huge fleet of helis and the untold amount of hours I've spent flying and training on the sim are all for nothing.

I was just getting comfortable hovering inverted, but I guess I'll take up knitting instead, thanks for letting me know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trying knitting will develop better hand coordination for flying RC

If the plane is small and light enough will not be more dangerous than a park flier being flown in a public park.

Check the link out of some guys having fun doing something very close to your idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIxi19qWYOI
    Lnewqban - "God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much." - Elbert Hubbard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, something like that video was all I ever meant guys, a small electric park-flyer. I even mention the Great Planes Seawind in my OP.

If ever do something like this it'll be next Summer and probably with that Polaris, it looks just about perfect. And like I said; it'd be on the largest lake in California, on a deserted weekday, with a cheap RTF transmitter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bob93447

Scale,

Back in the old days, say 20 years ago, I don't ever remember the basin being closed for the President to visit town. The 30-40 nm limit they put in (measured from Lax) is pretty restrictive. The Van Nuys Airport Cops are either a lot more vigilant or there are a lot more people provoking them; they seem to be showing up a lot more often. Add to that the fact that at least 2 or 3 times a year someone crashes a jet and burns off the brush on surrounding landscape as the fire dept. practices putting it out and you are starting to get the picture. At least the guy who used to sit on the road and access the 72 Mhz frequencies to randomly crash planes is gone. I guess that is one of the benefits of 2.4 gig.
    On the other hand, there are a lot of good days too. With the Solar system the club put in for the recharging stations fuel is free if you fly electric.

Bob
    Yes,, Post 9-11 a lot has changed, I've watched the antics from afar,, LOL ,
    and the Little Korean guy's name was/is? "John Kim" (It wasn't random,, he knew who he was shooting down,,, talk about an ugly period in So Cal RC aviation)

Good luck,, I hope to come out again soon,, maybe I'll see ya there

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wondering why Nicks in the wrong hobby. He asked an honest question. I say go for it. Ive done it safely. you dont have to go 70 on the jet ski. I wouldnt do it on a crowded sunday, tryng someting new is allways fun, good luck