Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

New Grumman G-44 Widgeon ARF electric seaplane from Electrifly/Great Planes!!

There is a new electric ARF seaplane coming that is the answer to a long held dream...Electricfly is releasing a BEAUTIFUL 51" wingspan rendition of one of my favorite full scale amphibians of all time, the Grumman Widgeon!

A very nicely done red, white and blue color scheme, nice hull design and engineering, same power system based on the 950KV electric motors as their popular PBY electric seaplane, MUCH improved motor mount design. Fiberglass hull, plastic nacelles (based on past releases, but could be glass) , plastic tip floats, built up balsa flying surfaces.

Pictures and link below. According to a source at Fly R/C, who is doing the first kit review, the suggested street price is 179.99. Sadly a lot higher than the PBY, but we all know the cost of doing business in China and the cost of transportation, materials and other stuff is increasing.

It is not in the Tower catalog, yet. As of mid August,Tower has mentioned a mid Oct release.

I have official dibs for the first kit that arrives at my LHS and they are doing a nice discount below the street price...

The only way this could have been better would have been for Electrifly to release a 60" Grumman Goose...

http://electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1151.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu60035.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1647912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40221.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	1647913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp35265.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	1647914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wp41474.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	1647915  
    Electric Coolhunter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Grumman G-44 Widgeon ARF electric seaplane from Electrifly/Great Planes!!

Yea, we got to see this beauty at "Watts Over Owatonna" 2 weeks ago. They wouldn't fly it without water, but it sure looked sweet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr50842.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	1647917  
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

RE: New Grumman G-44 Widgeon ARF electric seaplane from Electrifly/Great Planes!!

Heard about that sneak preview...we have been discussing the new Widgeon since July 30 over on RCG and I thought it was high time it was better known about over here!
    Electric Coolhunter

Tower is now taking backorders on the electrifly Grumman Widgeon...annouced arrival date is mid October, but we all know how THAT can work out.
    Electric Coolhunter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW!

I never thought I'd get excited over an ARF.

I'm in! Where do I sign up?
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

WOW!

I never thought I'd get excited over an ARF.

I'm in! Where do I sign up?

My hobby shop already has my order and I am promised the first one in town.

The model is not yet on the Tower web site as of now, but I heard that you can call in with the kit number and order one, now.

Kit number and specs from the Electrifly web site below.

SPECIFICATIONS
    Stock Number: GPMA1151
    Wingspan: 51 in (1295mm)
    Wing Area: 373 in2 (24.1dm2)
    Weight: 4-4.5 lb (1810-2040 g)
    Wing Loading: 25-28 oz/ft2 (76-85g/dm2)
    Length: 36 in (915mm)
    Requires: Radio system with a minimum of 4-channels; 4 micro servos; (2) 28-30-950kV outrunner motors; (2) 25 amp ESCs; (1) 3500mAh 3S 11.1V LiPo battery
    Electric Coolhunter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Video has been up for a while now:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mep8Sdm1rPo[/youtube]
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice intro

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Sink Rate
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a quick note to comment on the setup shown. I initially built the Widgeon as per the manual with the water rudder and was very pleased with how effective it was. Unfortunately, our local water flying site has quite a bit of vegetation as you can see, and soon enough the Widgeon was trailing a multi-species pennant. While it didn't seem to noticeably affect the handling, the looks did suffer. I do nearly all of my float flying from shore instead of a dock or boat, so I removed the water rudder and programmed differential thrust into my Futaba 10C as you can see in the video. Honestly, the water rudder gives tighter turns than shown and if weeds are not an issue for you the stock configuration works very well.

As for the review, that issue is off the press and subscriber copies should be in the mail now. I think the on sale newsstand date for that issue is right after Labor Day. It won't be hard to spot, the Widgeon is on the cover.

Thayer Syme
    Executive Editor, Fly RC Magazine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info Thayer. I was wondering about that differential thrust. That is pretty cool.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm in on this, but the flots look a bit goonie. That is, it looks like there's a "flat" going down the center where they are joined.

Tayler, what say on that?

Tayler, do you want to part with your's now that your all done with it?

I asked first.

Charles
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Charles,

I am not sure who you are asking, but since I have one I will try to answer. Yes, the tip floats have a raised center spine. It feels to be about 3/32 high. Sorry, I didn't feel like finding a ruler to measure it.

Thayer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thayer,

Sorry I spelled your name incorrectly.

Saw the article BTW. Nice Mag, you do a good job with it. Certainly doesn't look like the "Old Days" Mags.

Were ypou around in the Old Days?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am still south of 50, so no, I wasn't around during the old days.

Thanks for the kind words on the magazine. It is a lot of work, but also fun. Can't really ask for much more than that.

Thayer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone get their Grumman G-44 yet?

Charles

Anyone get their Grumman G-44 yet?

Charles
    Nope and no one will for a while, yet.....Tower currently shows the release date is sometime in late Sept at the very earliest. My money is on mid to late October, based on past performances...

It would be an exceedingly rare event for a new ARF to make it to market early.
    Electric Coolhunter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know if I can hang on that long.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tower offered no discounts on the G-44 Widgeon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's not unusual. Why offer a discount on something that is in high demand?

By the time it gets here, tower might have some Christmas quantity buy discount codes that could cover it.
    Electric Coolhunter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thayer's video.

See how he used each prop to turn the thing.

are all water twins set up this way?

How does he do that with his TX?

Charles

Thayer's video.

See how he used each prop to turn the thing.

are all water twins set up this way?

How does he do that with his TX?

Charles

A good number of twin seaplanes with computer radios have been programmed to have that feature. The second throttle is placed on an aux channel and is slaved to the throttle channel and each throttle channel is mixed to the rudder channel. Most capable computer radios with several P-mixes can be set up to do this.
    Electric Coolhunter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The planes are in stock at tower!!
    Do it right the first time, or not at all!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast