Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

New seaplane from horizon

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

New seaplane from horizon

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:25 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New seaplane from horizon

I just got this from a friend at horizon they are taking preorders and it will be released in october . Get your debit cards out men. lol joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2SvBza7wlI
Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New seaplane from horizon

Looks like a bath tub toy.

They will still sell plenty!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:14 AM
joebahl

Its bigger tham most of them and i cant fly the big one all the time.lmao
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13213.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1641972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89009.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1641973  
Old 07-30-2011, 11:40 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Looks like a bath tub toy.

They will still sell plenty!
It always amazes me that when i post a new small plane or a electrict one i get coments like this .I go to 4 different sites and have flown for 35 years nitro ,gas and now electrict planes . Competed in AMA when i was younger in pattern and pylon at the muncie ama flying site. I am now building big sea planes but its just fun to fly a new plane even if it is a smaller one. I still have rubber powered ones from my early youth . So i guess if some think that only flying BIG planes realy makes you a model builder or flyer then you realy dont like flying any planes like i do and most real good modelers do . I have a friend building a 25% beech starship with two 85cc da motors in it . I sent him this video of the new seaplane from horizon and he sent me a email back that he had just preordered one. PS i get all my graffics from callies graffics she is the best.lmao joe
Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Had everything from hobby king foamy PBYs to a Balsa USA's 1/3 scale Cub flying today, and of course my 15 year old os2u, we all had fun.

I'd buy one of those things,, it would be perfect for the pond at the park,, awesome
Old 07-31-2011, 03:58 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Had everything from hobby king foamy PBYs to a Balsa USA's 1/3 scale Cub flying today, and of course my 15 year old os2u, we all had fun.

I'd buy one of those things,, it would be perfect for the pond at the park,, awesome
You got it scale only for me ,i load up every thing that fits in my van when going to water funflys . I have a sig 1/3 scale cub on floats but i have not flown it in 6 years ,maybe i will get here sprused up this winter . I like this new horizon hobbie seaplane cause they are starting to think about us seaplane guys for a change. I hope they keep making some more in the future. joe
Old 07-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess it's not for me because it's electric. Wish it was for Glow or Gas, it doesn't seem to be enough Glow ARF Seaplanes on the market anymore.

Pete
Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 PM
scale only 4 me

Pete, you should try it,,
I have a GWS Zero that I tried very unsuccessfully to convert to a Rufe,, and a 30" Ultimate and they are the most fun for the dollar of any planes I own. amazing how much fun the hobby is when you're not worried about breaking a $1500 plane,, ;-)
Old 08-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Pete, you should try it,,
I have a GWS Zero that I tried very unsuccessfully to convert to a Rufe,, and a 30'' Ultimate and they are the most fun for the dollar of any planes I own. amazing how much fun the hobby is when you're not worried about breaking a $1500 plane,, ;-)

Eh 10 years in the hobby, I think I did and didn't care for it. Electric planes are too toyish and not my style. I started on electric and moved up to Glow. There will be a point and time I'll move to gas. But I love the smell of glow exhaust, the sound and I don't mind the slime. Matter in fact cleaning is part of the fun and tradition. I have a micro electric helicopter I play in my house with?

Pete
Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
chistech

Watching that video it shows one with flaps. Is that a real aircraft as it appears so? I just ordered a Dynam PBY from Nitro planes just to fill that gap you all are talking about. I'm not a big fan of electrics but a few planes, especially a float plane with a little size, (52") is OK with me!

Here's the Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KybT...eature=related

Off water: They have a video on the Nitro planes site of it flying off water.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
scale only 4 me

Ted,
A guy had one of those on Sat.
http://www.cmac.org/photo_files/2011...1%20F5781.html

It flew well off the water, and looked nice. Like the other PBY foamies,, water getting in the hatch was still a small issue,
Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 AM
chistech

I think that PBY is of a different manufacturer. Hey, nice shots and a nice place to fly. Hopefully me getting to these other local float flies I'll be able to find some more nice flying sites. Our club's pond is really nice with big sky and even bigger parking/ beach area. I would like to get used to smaller areas so I'm comfortable flying my Kingfisher in those tighter areas. It will let me go anywhere with confidence.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 AM
scale only 4 me

Now that I look closer,, You're right,, the markings are different,, oh well,,, that one flew nice
Old 08-03-2011, 04:19 PM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

The video switches back and forth from shots of the real Icon to the model. A little deceptive, but at least in some of the shots, the model looks very real. Maybe that was the point. This is a cool little plane, but they must be feeling a little crowded given all the other versions that popped up over the last couple months. At around $275 for a 52" wing plane, they are also nearly the most expensive, but if it's PNP, then there will be a market. I hope they have waterproofed the electronics or they will be getting a lot of them back.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Guess it's not for me because it's electric. Wish it was for Glow or Gas, it doesn't seem to be enough Glow ARF Seaplanes on the market anymore.

Pete

Get the Icon A5 airframe only kit from Horizon or your LHS and convert it. I bet a .10-.15 glow would fly it fine. Lots of folks successfully convert electric to gas.

However, if you equate all electric models as being to toy-like, you need to brush up on what can be done these days in .40 to .60 to .90 to giant scale electrics. Not toylike at all.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

Pete

Get the Icon A5 airframe only kit from Horizon or your LHS and convert it. I bet a .10-.15 glow would fly it fine. Lots of folks successfully convert electric to gas.

However, if you equate all electric models as being to toy-like, you need to brush up on what can be done these days in .40 to .60 to .90 to giant scale electrics. Not toylike at all.

True. But I don't like Lipo's, seen a few catch fire. I too am not a fan of electric planes as seaplanes. A little moisture and poof! The thing with electric planes is the frame has to be lighter than glow or gas planes. I haven't flown one scale electric plane that handled realisticly. Plus I haven't seen electric motors be able to swing a actual scale prop either to a 1/5 to 1/4 scale and larger.

My glow Fokker DR1, Fokker DVII and 1/5 scale Extra 260 fly very realistic and has weight to it. The 260 has a 1983-1984 O.S. FS1.20 Before Surpass (Looks like a Saito) in it, I doubt a electric motor can put out the same horsepower and torque. Plus I can fly longer and I don't need a speaker to simulate engine sound.

You electric guys have to keep your batteries on charge to keep flying. Me, I just fuel up and go and I have the great 4-stroke sound to go with it. I'd rather have a seaplane that was designed for glow or gas, not designed as a electric and me converting it take a tiny glow engine. The lowest I'll go is a .40.

Same with the glow engines. Take a O.S. 55AX, it spins the same prop size as the older .60 engine. The new O.S. AX engines are more powerful and lighter than the FX. So engines are getting new design upgrades so they can produce more power and still be able to use smaller engine mounts. Saito is another company that's doing the same thing. My FA150GK 25cc puts out way more power than a 120, but has the same mount size.

So to me it will remain my opinion that Parkflyers and most electric planes are toyish. I know they fly like a toy the ones I've flown. A lot of meat and no potato's. But we all buy and fly what we like. I'm just strictly glow and hope to move up to gas when I feel ready.

Pete

Old 08-04-2011, 02:58 AM
scale only 4 me

Pete,
one thing for sure,,, your opinion is your opinion

You should hit an electric fly in some day,, you'll be surprised how far E-flight and Lipos have come in the last few years.
At our Warbird fly in last year a guy brought a 120" span B-17, another guy had a 100" span C-130, these things are fully detailed like any scale plane would be,, far from "toyish"
Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Thomas B

True. But I don't like Lipo's, seen a few catch fire. I too am not a fan of electric planes as seaplanes. A little moisture and poof! The thing with electric planes is the frame has to be lighter than glow or gas planes. I haven't flown one scale electric plane that handled realisticly. Plus I haven't seen electric motors be able to swing a actual scale prop either to a 1/5 to 1/4 scale and larger.

My glow Fokker DR1, Fokker DVII and 1/5 scale Extra 260 fly very realistic and has weight to it. The 260 has a 1983-1984 O.S. FS1.20 Before Surpass (Looks like a Saito) in it, I doubt a electric motor can put out the same horsepower and torque. Plus I can fly longer and I don't need a speaker to simulate engine sound.

You electric guys have to keep your batteries on charge to keep flying. Me, I just fuel up and go and I have the great 4-stroke sound to go with it. I'd rather have a seaplane that was designed for glow or gas, not designed as a electric and me converting it take a tiny glow engine. The lowest I'll go is a .40.

Same with the glow engines. Take a O.S. 55AX, it spins the same prop size as the older .60 engine. The new O.S. AX engines are more powerful and lighter than the FX. So engines are getting new design upgrades so they can produce more power and still be able to use smaller engine mounts. Saito is another company that's doing the same thing. My FA150GK 25cc puts out way more power than a 120, but has the same mount size.

So to me it will remain my opinion that Parkflyers and most electric planes are toyish. I know they fly like a toy the ones I've flown. A lot of meat and no potato's. But we all buy and fly what we like. I'm just strictly glow and hope to move up to gas when I feel ready.

Pete
Still a good lack of knowledge in what you post, there.

Yes, Lipos do catch on fire on rare occasions. I have seen as many gas model fires as I have seen Lipo fires...about 2 ever in the last 30 years. And I have seen one glow model catch fire.

We have a neat coating for electric model components that allows immedciate operation after immersion and gets rid of the "poof" when it gets wet....check out a product called Corrosion X. We coat our ESCs with it. Makes electric seaplanes simple to maintain.

With the current large lipos and large brushless, the old saw about electric models needing to be lighter than gas or glow models is no longer true, at all. Neither is the thing about not able to turn large scale props. In fact, electric is better in that catagory and allows MORE prop choices and MORe scale prop choices than glow or gas does. I currently fly a 1/5 scale Waco YMF-5 with a 1.50 class electric model that spins a 20-12 prop on 8S lipos with outstanding performance. Straight up almost accelerating straight up at full power and scale like flight at half throttle. Total power package cost with lipos of under $350. I also currently fly a Top Flite B-25 with two .50 class electrics on 15-7 props and 5S lipos in each nacelle. It outperforms both of the local glow powered TF B-25s. Ditto my H9 F6F Hellcat on 6S lipos, .60 class electric motor that spins a 15-10 prop. Every one of these models are unmodified kits designed for glow power. All fly fantastically with power systems that cost about the same as glow or gas.

And, the models all stay perfectly clean and oil free forever...

I bring two or three models to the field and fly continously, while the others charge...no problems there.

If you want a .40 size Icon A5, check out the 6 foot wingspan EPO foam one that HobbyKing sells for .35-.40 size electric motors. A decent modeler could easily glass it and convert it to .40 glow power. The only negative is that it is hard to find without the electric motor included.

Like what you like, but don't make up untrue facts or continue to espouse out-of-date attitudes based on electric's early days to support your opinion... It is fine to not like electric personally.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 AM
joebahl

My solent is my first 4 motor e seaplane i have built but i have had other multy engine nitro or gas birds before. I dont have to worry about motors quiting on me any more while in flight or while landing. With the e markit growing every year it makes sence to go this way. That does not mean i dont like my four cycle motor sounds or still flying them ,its just me getting into the 20th century with e power plane and taking advantage of their uses . joe
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 AM
joebahl

[quote]ORIGINAL: Oberst

Pete

Hi pete , with e planes getting bigger and bigger and e motors and lipos getting cheaper ,i have slowly started to learn more about e planes. My seaplane above has 4 - APC nitro 4 bladed scale props ,the brushed motors and esc cost me 150 and it weighs 8 pounds for a 100 inch wing span plane . I fugured it out i had 230 bucks plus my time in it , where can you buy 4-nitro motors and tanks and more balsa to beef it up so it can fly . If i went nitro i would have spent 4 times that amount and would end up with a very heavy plane. joe
Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Tommygun

Still a good lack of knowledge in what you post, there.

Yes, Lipos do catch on fire on rare occasions. I have seen as many gas model fires as I have seen Lipo fires...about 2 ever in the last 30 years. And I have seen one glow model catch fire.

We have a neat coating for electric model components that allows immedciate operation after immersion and gets rid of the ''poof'' when it gets wet....check out a product called Corrosion X. We coat our ESCs with it. Makes electric seaplanes simple to maintain.

With the current large lipos and large brushless, the old saw about electric models needing to be lighter than gas or glow models is no longer true, at all. Neither is the thing about not able to turn large scale props. In fact, electric is better in that catagory and allows MORE prop choices and MORe scale prop choices than glow or gas does. I currently fly a 1/5 scale Waco YMF-5 with a 1.50 class electric model that spins a 20-12 prop on 8S lipos with outstanding performance. Straight up almost accelerating straight up at full power and scale like flight at half throttle. Total power package cost with lipos of under $350. I also currently fly a Top Flite B-25 with two .50 class electrics on 15-7 props and 5S lipos in each nacelle. It outperforms both of the local glow powered TF B-25s. Ditto my H9 F6F Hellcat on 6S lipos, .60 class electric motor that spins a 15-10 prop. Every one of these models are unmodified kits designed for glow power. All fly fantastically with power systems that cost about the same as glow or gas.

And, the models all stay perfectly clean and oil free forever...

I bring two or three models to the field and fly continously, while the others charge...no problems there.

If you want a .40 size Icon A5, check out the 6 foot wingspan EPO foam one that HobbyKing sells for .35-.40 size electric motors. A decent modeler could easily glass it and convert it to .40 glow power. The only negative is that it is hard to find without the electric motor included.

Like what you like, but don't make up untrue facts or continue to espouse out-of-date attitudes based on electric's early days to support your opinion... It is fine to not like electric personally.

You're wasting type, he doesn't want to hear it no matter what. They could develop an electric tomorrow with 10 times as much horsepower as glow that weighs and costs half as much and flys for 24 hours without recharging, yet the "glow for life" crowd will still poo-poo it. He's stuck in a 1970's paradigm, unable to budge. I'm guilty of this as well with my contempt for 3D. But I agree 100%- electric is THE way to go, except for really big birds then gas is a nice option. I fly seaplanes off a boat- electric is so much more user friendly, I hated dealing with the logistics of running nitro seaplanes so much I quit flying them until some good electric options came along.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

You're wasting type, he doesn't want to hear it no matter what. They could develop an electric tomorrow with 10 times as much horsepower as glow that weighs and costs half as much and flys for 24 hours without recharging, yet the ''glow for life'' crowd will still poo-poo it. He's stuck in a 1970's paradigm, unable to budge. I'm guilty of this as well with my contempt for 3D. But I agree 100%- electric is THE way to go, except for really big birds then gas is a nice option. I fly seaplanes off a boat- electric is so much more user friendly, I hated dealing with the logistics of running nitro seaplanes so much I quit flying them until some good electric options came along.
Not typing it for his sake, as his mind is clearly made up and closed off. However, worth pointing out his errors in thinking and knowledge and making those points for other folks that are new to the hobby that are reading this thread. Doing so helps keep the new folks from being confused by his untrue statements about electric flight.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

You're wasting type, he doesn't want to hear it no matter what. They could develop an electric tomorrow with 10 times as much horsepower as glow that weighs and costs half as much and flys for 24 hours without recharging, yet the ''glow for life'' crowd will still poo-poo it. He's stuck in a 1970's paradigm, unable to budge. I'm guilty of this as well with my contempt for 3D. But I agree 100%- electric is THE way to go, except for really big birds then gas is a nice option. I fly seaplanes off a boat- electric is so much more user friendly, I hated dealing with the logistics of running nitro seaplanes so much I quit flying them until some good electric options came along.
Not typing it for his sake, as his mind is clearly made up and closed off. However, worth pointing out his errors in thinking and knowledge and making those points for other folks that are new to the hobby that are reading this thread. Doing so helps keep the new folks from being confused by his untrue statements about electric flight.
And there is your first lessom thomas ,There are guys on some of these threads who have nothing better to do except trash something about e planes or arfs or scratch built planes or cats and dogs. LOL I have flown for 35 years member of ama and clubs that long also . I flew e planes when i used a radio shack toggle switch to turn my motor off and on with a servo hooked to it. We then used rc car speed controls in our birds that had a metal arm that slid across a coil of wires. The electric planes and esc,s, motors ,lipos are getting better and better . I have as much chance of my lipo batteries catching on fire as i do getting hit by lighting. lmao I fly them ALL and i always will but electrict is the future and iam old but not stuped and wont be left behind by my own doings. Keep thinking the way you do thomas and you will go far in this hobby i love so much. joe
Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Thomas B

I am not getting a lesson, I am giving one...

I flew my first electric in 1975...Asto 05 ferrite, toggle switch, nicads, Cox 6x3 prop in a Goldberg Ranger 42 ARF. Have been flying them ever since, with more and more electrics of all sizes as part eof my fleet.

And, I have also flown glow and gas most years since 1969. It is all good, but I dont mind publicly schooling the close-minded and mis-informed to get the truth out for the silent majority reading these discussion groups.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Tommygun

Even OS has figured out the future is moving towards all electric, take a look- http://osengines.com/motors/index.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.