Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Another float question

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Another float question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 PM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another float question

Hi Jim and other seaplane fanatics!
I've been bitten bad by the float plane bug! I've read so many articles on floats my head is spinning! I need some advice so I don't over-spend on new floats, and to calm me down! Lol. I'm putting floats on a couple planes, one of them being a Great Planes Giant Stik. The plane is 13-15 lbs. Powered by a OS160fx. Lots of power! I've determined I need about 52" floats (prop to rudder hinge line is 67"). My main question is: In your opinion, should I go with flat bottom or v-bottom? I've read flat bottom are better. Seaplane supply has both. I'm leaning towards Slocan floats though...any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
I have been flying an easy sport 40 with floats and an Ace Seamaster which I just love! I'm also going to put floats on my Great Planes Cherokee. Thanks again! Troy
Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another float question

The Giant Stik will be off the water so quickly that the float-bottom means little for takeoff.  I find that V-bottoms don't skip as much when landing.

I had a H9 super stik, and installed the floats with identical H9 landing gear legs.  With the level fuselage bottom, that gave me zero incidence and it was necessary to crank in a little flaperon to take off.  Moral: be sure to mount the floats with the nose drooped a little. 

Of course, in WY, Flat-bottom floats probably work better on snow and it should be snowing there in a couple of weeks..:-)
Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 PM
hy flyr

That's great advice Jim, thanks a lot! We have to deal with the wind a lot here also along with the snow.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 AM
sherman89

If you are working rough water in the wind the V bottom is the way to go, the only suspension per say with floats is the V bottom which cuts the water on contact as does the V bottom of a V hulled boat. If you have been on rough water with a flat bottom boat and then switched to a V bottom boat then you know what I mean. 15 lbs is enough weight that if you do not get the landing right or you are landing back into rough water the V bottom is the preferred configuration and a 18 degree V is preferred. The H9 1/4 scale float kit will float easily float 15lbs but they are 48" in length and may be just a bit short for your fuse.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:29 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Both preform well, the flat bottom tend to taxi better when not using a water rudder,, Only real Plus I can think of. With a Stick flat would be fine.

Here is something to think about though,,
What if you get board with the stick and want to put these float on a nice scale airframe? The V-bottoms will look a whole lot nicer

Now if it were me,
I'd build a set of Taildragger floats for that plane like these http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...imerstatic.jpg
What that configuration does for you, besides looking cool and more match the WWI theme, is allow the plane to have more rotation angle taking off and landing, I see many times on the lake guys bring these type planes with conventional floats and the plane has to go 100 mph before the wing has enough lift to fly. I had a 20 size Top Flite Elder set up this way and it was a hoot watching that tail raise up and the 2-float touch and goes. The are pretty easy to fabricate yourself out of foam blocks.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:26 PM
JimCasey

Also, Mark makes Old-Timer floats. 
Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 AM
scale only 4 me

I thought that I'd seen them there before, but I couldn't find them on his site
Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 PM
JimCasey

Hot-timers.
They are in his gallery. http://www.seaplanesupply.com/Float%...%20Ritchie.jpg

He has posted 4 or 5 pictures of planes on the Hot-timer floats.
I can't speak for mark, but an email to ask the question is not expensive (yet).

Old 08-19-2011, 05:38 PM
hy flyr

I love 'em! Great color scheme on that plane, also.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:25 AM
scale only 4 me

Edit: here it is http://seaplanesupply.com/oldtimer.htm the link is gone from the menu

On my Elder, I just sheeted them with Birch Veneer and sealed them with Spar Varnish,, I attached the only pic I can find,, fun little plane

I think the natural wood finish would look good on a Stik

Looked more like these
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39488.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1650906