Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

EP seawind motor problems...

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

EP seawind motor problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP seawind motor problems...

Maiden flight was great. I stalled it about 10 feet above the water and nosed in. Motor got wet. everything else was corossion X'd.

ESC seems OK, one servo ( which I didnt use Corossion x on ) moves very slowly in one direction. The motor trys to turn and if I spin it with a chicken stick it will run fine. I can control the speed but if I stop it need a flip to get it started.. any options or is it toast??

Suggestion for a cheap replacement?

Thanks for any info..

Steve
Old 10-04-2011, 03:06 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: EP seawind motor problems...

Put it all in a bag of instant rice for a day or two and try it later,, it may come back to life,, works for cell phones
Old 10-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As suggested in the previous post, dry it as well as you can. Before putting power to it again, rebath it in CorrosionX. It has worked for me.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

It worked for my cell phone enough to download my info at least. Leave it a couple of days.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Popriv

ORIGINAL: Chip_Mull

It worked for my cell phone enough to download my info at least. Leave it a couple of days.

Sorry, I left out of my post the fact that I had put everything except the motor in a bag of rice as soon as I got home and it was in there for 4 days, THEN I tested everything and Its the motor thats an issue...Throttle up, one beep, throttle down, 4 beeps now motor should be armed. It wants to spin but it kind of sputters and shakes. If I give it a spin with a chicken stick it will take off and runs fine as long as I dont throttle all the way down. If it stops it wont start again unless I help it get going...
After my last post I put everything but the motor in rice again but I think the problem is the motor.

?????

Steve
Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I had one that did the same thing after getting wet,, it never came back to life so I replaced it,, you're lucky the ESC is still good
Old 10-05-2011, 03:13 PM
JimCasey

Kinda sounds like one leg of the ESC went bye-bye.  Instead of getting 3-phase current, it's just getting 2 phases and doesn't know which is lead and which is follow. 

Try a different ESC and see what happens. 
Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Chip_Mull

If you're using a new digital radio with computer controls you might try adjusting the trims.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Popriv

Maiden flight was great. I stalled it about 10 feet above the water and nosed in. Motor got wet. everything else was corossion X'd.

ESC seems OK, one servo ( which I didnt use Corossion x on ) moves very slowly in one direction. The motor trys to turn and if I spin it with a chicken stick it will run fine. I can control the speed but if I stop it need a flip to get it started.. any options or is it toast??

Suggestion for a cheap replacement?

Thanks for any info..

Steve
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=D2625027

I have had two Seawinds that I flew with this motor...works GREAT. Has about the same numbers as the Rimfire, but only 17.95. Kv is clamied to be 1000, but not enough extra to matter, even if it actually is 1000Kv.

The oly downside is that it will need some mods to fit the firewall. It is a four bolt motor and not the silly three bolt pattern that Great Planes came up with to try to force people to use their stuff on their kits.

Took me less than an hour to make a firewall adapter out of thin fiberglass sheet....about the same for my first Seawind, when I made a firewall from laminated 1/32 aircraft ply (two layers)

I think the model actually performs better on the same size APC prop instead of the stock GP prop, personally.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Bob93447

Coolhunter,

I used the same bp motor, only the 1400kv version, as the first motor on my Seawind. Since I was flying at 6200' I needed the extra RPM. It worked well all winter and spring, but one hot 4th of July day I left a beautiful smoke trail. Believe the 150 watt rating, they mean it. Otherwise, a nice motor. For a bit more power, you might consider the ST. 10 about the same price. Just don't push it to the limit.

Bob
Old 10-21-2011, 02:53 AM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

im not confident its the motor. i have had a similar problem and it was 1 leg of the 3 phase went out on the esc. i guess its possible you may of knocked some magnets loose in the motor but it would be grindy then.