Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

float plane question please:

im new into floats and i have the great planes 40 size float kit built and set up ready to install; i will like toinstall this set on a hangar 9 ultra stick 40 arf; any advices?
    what is the proper place and measurements to install the floats?
    balancing?
    is a super tigre 45 enough to pull this plane with the floats?
    thanks and regards.
    also,one more question; i found out that for my tool box, the gallon container of glow is too tall,and need to use a smaller container; any sugestions on what can i use to store and carry glow ?
    regards.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: float plane question please:

Set up the floats so that the step is just a bit aft of the CG - perhaps about 1/2 inch or so. It isn't super-critical, but you should have about 2 inches of float in front of the propeller.

Also, you should ensure that the wing has about 2 degrees of positive incidence relative to the float datum line - that is, when the plane is sitting on the water, the wing should be angled 2 degrees up from the surface of the water.

I assume the plane is balanced with the wheels on as it is. Good. Now, mount the floats and hang the plane on your balancer. Add weights to the bow or stern of the FLOATS to get it balanced. Epoxy the weights in place once you know how much you need. Always put the weights on the floats, so that when you take the floats off the plane will still balance with its wheels.

A good 46-class engine is plenty for a 40-size plane on floats. You might want to put a different prop on, though. If you are using a 10x6 now, you might try an 11x5 for floats. Float planes are not about speed, so you kind of want "low gear" for pulling power rather than "high gear" for top speed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fledermaus

Set up the floats so that the step is just a bit aft of the CG - perhaps about 1/2 inch or so. It isn't super-critical, but you should have about 2 inches of float in front of the propeller.

Also, you should ensure that the wing has about 2 degrees of positive incidence relative to the float datum line - that is, when the plane is sitting on the water, the wing should be angled 2 degrees up from the surface of the water.

I assume the plane is balanced with the wheels on as it is. Good. Now, mount the floats and hang the plane on your balancer. Add weights to the bow or stern of the FLOATS to get it balanced. Epoxy the weights in place once you know how much you need. Always put the weights on the floats, so that when you take the floats off the plane will still balance with its wheels.

A good 46-class engine is plenty for a 40-size plane on floats. You might want to put a different prop on, though. If you are using a 10x6 now, you might try an 11x5 for floats. Float planes are not about speed, so you kind of want ''low gear'' for pulling power rather than ''high gear'' for top speed.
    So what would you do for balancing if the plane will only be on floats? I'm building a Kadet Jr with an extended wing, ailerons and no dihedral specifically for use with floats so....................................

Balance it where it says to balance it in the instructions.  Floats don't change the point where the air acts on the wing. 
    If it is meant to balance on the spar (usually true) then shift stuff around until it balances on the spar. 
    Jim Casey/Seaplane Nerd
    http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floats.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie
    So what would you do for balancing if the plane will only be on floats? I'm building a Kadet Jr with an extended wing, ailerons and no dihedral specifically for use with floats so....................................
    Shifting radio gear is always best,, but not always possible. If weight is needed usually you can use the least possible weight if you install it at the extreme ends of the airframe,,, So if you need nose weight the tips of the floats,,, If you need tail weight the rear of the fuselage.

Good luck
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??