Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Aquabird by Laddie Mikulasko

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Aquabird by Laddie Mikulasko

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 08:46 PM
PureEvil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aquabird by Laddie Mikulasko

I have the plans, and was wondering if anyone here has the pleasure of building one yet. I've scoured the internet looking for reviews, tips, or concerns and find nothing. Any comments on the plane would be great.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Turbobeaver

Default RE: Aquabird by Laddie Mikulasko

The Aquabird was a rather strange looking floatplane and I don't know if it was all that popular with many of the float fly gang.All the float fly events I've ever attended and I don't think I've ever seen one on display and I know I've never seen one in the air.I will say one thing about it though.You'll be hard pressed to find a more unique looking float plane to build or to fly.Laddie is a super designer and his designs are very well known and all fly very well indeed.I'm sure this plane will also live up to those standards as well.At least they won't be saying,"Oh jeese,another J-3 on floats......how unique!" down at the ole float pond when you show up with this one in tote!Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 03-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Turbobeaver

For those not familiar with this particular aircraft,here is a link to a picture and info on the Aquabird if your interested in learning more about it.Punch in plan #1125 when you get to this web page and it will bring up the information.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...ore-plans.html
Old 03-13-2005, 08:08 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut a set of wings for one once, but I don't think the guy ever built it... The airfoil was a lot like the ones on the morris profile planes.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:24 AM
johnboyrc

I like the different look of this plane. Bought the plans and a copy of the Sept '92 mag last year, and started building the fuse and fin. Built one side of the fin on the board, and the other against the first half, came out good. Have those done and haven't touched it since. Need to get the wings cut out before I do anymore. I think I am best off sending the plans to some comapny and have them cut the cores. Wonder how much it will cost me.
I thought about making a different cowl or even just rounding off the bottom of the fuse. The stab supports could also be made of carbon fiber rods so you don't have to worry about bending them...
I have to finish a couple other projects of mine, then I could finish this, maybe. Might be a year.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:32 PM
theKM

My father had one for a long time. It's a truly excellent flying plane! A joy to fly and to watch flying.

...if I'd change anything on it, I would increase the aileron throw, or not taper the ailerons quite so much (if at all).
Old 06-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Strykaas

So what's up with your Aquabirds ? Any progress ?

Please share [&o]
Old 06-26-2005, 11:50 AM
ryanpilot
My Feedback: (4)

I would build one of these in a heart beat. Problem is I jave no way to cut the wings. If I had a wing set and the plans I would be all over this. I am out for the unique looking planes. I don't like run of the mill.

This is a gotta have for me.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:11 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are plenty of places that will cut wing cores for you. Do a Goggle search.

Jim
Old 06-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Strykaas

It's really no hassle to build your own foam cutting jig... Come on ! You'll be amazed how simple that is !
Old 06-27-2005, 09:05 AM
johnboyrc

The wing is not the easiest to cut out, especially for someone without foam cutting experience. I figure when I get a few more projects out of the way, I can worry about it. The way it's going, might be late fall if I am lucky. I have a laker to cover right now, and a northstar sitting in the box (that will probably stay there).
I really like the design of this plane, really different. I would like to see what it flys like.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:47 PM
ryanpilot
My Feedback: (4)

Just finishing a northstar now. Will be building another this winter I think. I have never worked with foam before and don't have a clue where to start. I would definitely need to get the wings cut for this plane..
Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 AM
dicknadine

why not develope your own wing rib patterns and go from there. its a good plane to learn how do your own plans. there are plenty of us guys to help you learn how we have been doing it for ever. 2 guys will do it 2 different ways, but when its covered and flying - who cares. Balsa is still the best way to go it hasn't changed since the mid 1930's/1940's when I started building the 25 cent 12 inch models just gets more expensive each week. dick attached my latest project, 1919, 60" Farman F60, Goliath. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75301.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	990374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18222.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	990375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92060.jpg
Views:	36
ID:	990376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21506.jpg
Views:	43
ID:	990377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30413.jpg
Views:	31
ID:	990378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52759.jpg
Views:	39
ID:	990379  
Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 PM
harleyguy

i had the joy of flying one of our club memebers an it flew very well pictures of it is in my gallery
Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reminds me of a Klingnon "Bird of Prey".
Old 10-27-2011, 04:11 PM
harleyguy

kinda looks like it it was one of my club members an he want me to test fly it for him an i thought to my self here's a train wreck fexing to happen plus a mad member but i was shock about as much as that was watching how good it flew an taxied .