Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool show on PBS

I was channel surfing and came across this on PBS tonight,, Just so happens I have the plans from RCM for the Seiran,, Cool story, makes me want to build it more

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/epis...l-episode/591/

You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

RE: Cool show on PBS

Darn, and I wasted that hour watching the Science channel where they had an "Anvil-Shooting contest" where they put two anvils belly-to-belly, with the cavities packed with gunpowder, and blew one of the anvils 500' into the air.  Contestants were scored on altitude and the distance from the launch point to the impact was subtracted.  Oddly, tequila was not involved.  It was a big civic event, including the High-School band. 

Then there was a competition of the High-Power Dangerous Rocket League (HDRL) where they had a TFR in place and drag-raced each other to 10,000 feet.  Mach 2, straight up.  Imagine pocket patriot missiles. 
    Jim Casey/Seaplane Nerd
    http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floats.html

I noticed on our PBS 2 that the second season of "The Aviators" is now running. The first show featured a Cessna 195, various pilot licenses or ratings, and a little bio on the various presenters. Note that this is PBS2 or for us NET2 so those of you on cable might not get it. Seems with the digital conversion PBS is now split into three actual channels. I am only on antenna; not cable or Sat.[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I was channel surfing and came across this on PBS tonight,, Just so happens I have the plans from RCM for the Seiran,, Cool story, makes me want to build it more

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/epis...l-episode/591/

The Achi Seiran is a very good looking aircraft. I visited the Air and Space museum twice during the restoration of the Seiran (out at the silver hill facility) and really enjoyed seeing that world class restoration in progress. The final result is out at the Udvar Hazy facility and it is perfect.
    As I recall, that was one of the last of the RCM plans, before they went out of business.
    Electric Coolhunter

>>As I recall, that was one of the last of the RCM plans, before they went out of business. <<
    The Magazine died with Dewey, but his heirs still run the plans service. 
    Jim Casey/Seaplane Nerd
    http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floats.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah,
    It's kinda a strange build, I think it was one of the last one Ed Westwood did For RCM. it uses a Foam Core wing and tail feathers, but the fuse is built out of 3/16 foam sheeting instead of balsa/ply,, I guess one could use Depron.. I wish I'd read the construction article before I ordered and had the plans blown up to 70" span,, I also wish RCM plans service offered the construction articles as a download like the AMA plans service does for some plans,, not just included with your order. Their little description never says much

It is a cool bird,, I'll just have to re draw some thing so it'd built out of balsa/ply

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...na0f8hcea590q1

You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JimCasey

>>As I recall, that was one of the last of the RCM plans, before they went out of business. <<
    The Magazine died with Dewey, but his heirs still run the plans service.*

What I mean was that is was one of the last plans published in the mag before RCM went away.

I double checked and the plan number for the Seiran was 1295 and the last plan published was 1344....so, not exactly one of the last plans published, but not far from the end
    Electric Coolhunter