Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

fiberglassing northstar

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

fiberglassing northstar

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 AM
hotrod31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglassing northstar

just wanting to know if I fiberglass the entire fusealage bottom, or just before the step. Also fiberglassing the engine pod to the rear fin, should I glass the entire fin + pod or do I glass only where the pod meets the fin? do I glass the whole sponson or just the bottom? it won't see much water(maybe 1-2 times a year). thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: fiberglassing northstar

You only need to glass from the step, forward (including the step). I skipped glassing altogether and just layed a piece of thin ply over the forward area. I didn't glass the nacell either. A few pieces of tri stock between the nacell and fin was all it needed
Old 01-17-2012, 11:05 PM
aa1a

I Glassed both of my northstar Bellys front to back. I also glassed from the center of the engine pods down to near the bottom of the fins. I added triangle stock where the pod meets the fin too. This area sees a lot of vibration and serious loads during a hard landing. If you use a lighter cloth and work at getting most of the excess epoxy off the weight you add is minimal.
Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95744.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1715664  
Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 AM
hotrod31

I was thinking I would glass the whole bottom but Im covering with monocote, how well will the monocote stick to the epoxy/fiberglass?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 AM
aa1a

I Monokoted the bottom of the northstar and every time I fly it I have to fix the Monokote. On my Mariner 120, when I re-glassed the bottom I painted it. A much better solution in my opinion. Now I use stix it (same as balsarite) on any surface anywhere near the waterline before I put on the Monokote. It really helps the monokote stay put but it is messy if it gets on your iron.
Jim
Old 01-19-2012, 01:57 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put ply on the front bottom and a couple layers of thin glass and just one layer of thin glass on the rear half. I've done some off roading with mine and it's held up very well.