Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seamaster throttle servo size/attachement??

I assume a small servo with the short pushrod connection is all that is needed on the Seamaster especially since it is being glued to the pylon? I've had maybe two go bad and cause a deadstick and a crash and I thought was due to vibration killing the servo. Is the best way to just use servo tape for the attachment of it? Or should you zip tie to foam somehow. Evidently most don't have that trouble like I have. I want to set it up the best that I can. Seems like I used two layers of tape last time and had no problem at least till the elevator servo went out and I lost it. I guess I need to stop using used stuff on my planes as things do wear out don't they. Thanks for any input. I'm ready to finish up the engine pod and have to decide on the servo.

Thanks,
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Seamaster throttle servo size/attachement??

Had a Diamond Dust once, ans when it bellied in it would strip the throttle servo's gears.  I learned to kill the engine, and then to land at half-throttle so the flex would not bottom out the gears. 

Never heard of a mention of the Seamaster having throttle servo problems.   Use a cable, not a rigid pushrod. 
    Make sure the motor is firmly bolted to the mount. 
    The car guys use servo savers on the steering.  Not a bad use of a few bucks. 
    Jim Casey/Seaplane Nerd
    http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floats.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Seamaster throttle servo size/attachement??

I was assuming it was due to the servo being attached directlly to the pylon which the motor mount is connected to which that much and that close vibration was what was killing my servos. At least one of them died I know but not sure about the first one. I really should have checked to be sure. They both happend on one flight. Now after getting a smaller servo I actaully have room to mount it on posts like you do on a plate in the wing for aileron serovs. So I could do that on rubber mounts. I guess the servo tape serves the same purpose and as well? I guess I'll try and see how it works this time and be ready for a dead stick. I know now they won't glide like a trainer and if on water I"ll have plenty of room to come in but at the field maybe not. Aint this stuff fun? Going to watch a new fiberglass 26 lb gas engine Zero take it's maiden today! 66 degrees outside!

Jim