Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

fiberglassing northstar

just wanting to know if I fiberglass the entire fusealage bottom, or just before the step. Also fiberglassing the engine pod to the rear fin, should I glass the entire fin + pod or do I glass only where the pod meets the fin? do I glass the whole sponson or just the bottom? it won't see much water(maybe 1-2 times a year). thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: fiberglassing northstar

You only need to glass from the step, forward (including the step). I skipped glassing altogether and just layed a piece of thin ply over the forward area. I didn't glass the nacell either. A few pieces of tri stock between the nacell and fin was all it needed
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Glassed both of my northstar Bellys front to back. I also glassed from the center of the engine pods down to near the bottom of the fins. I added triangle stock where the pod meets the fin too. This area sees a lot of vibration and serious loads during a hard landing. If you use a lighter cloth and work at getting most of the excess epoxy off the weight you add is minimal.
    Jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95744.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	1715664  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was thinking I would glass the whole bottom but Im covering with monocote, how well will the monocote stick to the epoxy/fiberglass?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Monokoted the bottom of the northstar and every time I fly it I have to fix the Monokote. On my Mariner 120, when I re-glassed the bottom I painted it. A much better solution in my opinion. Now I use stix it (same as balsarite) on any surface anywhere near the waterline before I put on the Monokote. It really helps the monokote stay put but it is messy if it gets on your iron.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put ply on the front bottom and a couple layers of thin glass and just one layer of thin glass on the rear half. I've done some off roading with mine and it's held up very well.
    Revver #125, Pico Owners Club #3
    R/C Anonymous. My name is Evan and I have not flown for 14 hours.