Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

49 neptune value hobby motor to weight?

Hello, just got done building my neptune 49 inch from value hobby and am concerned about my power combo. I used this combo from grayson hobby 500 / 600 Brushless Outrunner Motor & ESC (GH2814-6 450W Series) and my flying weight is 68 oz. Am running a 9x6 prop and dont know if this is going to fly it? Any info before I try to fly on what people think would be great. Am balanced at 79 mm as suggested in manual but some how came out way more than the 3 pounds that value hobby said it should be. thank you Nick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 49 neptune value hobby motor to weight?

It seems a little heavy to me, but the basic seamaster design is very forgiving on weight. The tip floats help trap air under the wing. If you look at the Wigdon, the new GP twin, it is listed as 64-72 oz for only 375sq inches of wing. The neptune has a slightly shorter wing, but it's quite a bit wider, and at least claims to have 500sq inches of wing to the wigdon's 375.

Easiest places to save weight are in batteries, motor and servos. You didn't mention what you are using now, but anywhere you are using full sized gear, you can reduce and save weight.

If the plane is ready to fly, and you know how to fly, I would just throw it in the water and try it. You can get used to taxi, getting up on plane, doing big power slides on that flat bottom. Be sure your battery is secure and the mount is strong so it dosn't go through the hull if you bounce hard.

If you find yourself in the air, just keep your speed up untill you have a chance to get high enough to try some low power stalls, that will give you an idea where your stall speed is. Alternitivly, you can just come in for a landing, hold at about 12" off the water and just let it slow down, adding elevator untill it plops down. At that hight, even if it stalls, it will just land. The neptune will not catch a tip float, so it's a pretty safe plane to just fool around with.

Hey, just noticed you are in Wa, if you are near me, you could bring it over and fly it off the small lake I live on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lupy, thank you and I am in Washington but on the other side of the mountains from ya near neport wa and all of my lakes are froze with snow on them so was thinking of a maiden this weekend off a couple inches a snow? I fly all nitros and this is my first real electric build other than rtf crap stuff like the pby Catalina (which to me was a pile) from np. I have nitro float planes with power that makes up for my flying ability so i was just worried that I underpowered this thing. As for the gear am running metal geared micros and 3s lipo bat and had bec disabled and running external pack for servos but did away with that and went back to bec to save weight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well flew this plane today and it flew very well for the short 3 minute flight I had. Got it all trimed out and flew at about half throttle and it just shut off, glided it in for safe landing but esc was smokin hot. I can not figure out what I am doing wrong when it comes to electric. I bought the recomended combo motor and esc that is listed above in post and am running recemonded 9x6 ep prop. Have to have esc down in the plane so i guess it is not getting much cooling but it is 30 degrees out. I have no drag on motor and am running 25 c 3s lipo bats. Any advice would be great or I will just tear it out put a nitro on it. Thanks Nick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No!, don't give in to the slime side of the RC Luke! ....

Seriously, it's hard to tell what is wrong without a couple of tests. Did you lose all control? or only motor?

My first thought is a jammed servo, maybe from a frozen control surface. Most of these esc's have 1-2A bec's, but small servos can draw that much when jammed, overheating the system and causing shut down. Using a separate battery will cover, but not really solve the problem. At least on my Neptune II, the control rods were not usable, I replanced with fiberglass rods for flexibility, and made sure the elevator tube curved as smoothly as possible.

First test:
    Run the servos around smoothly while holding onto the esc, if something is binding, you should feel lots of heat in 15-20 sec. If you move the sticks a lot, the bec will heat up anyway, so be smooth.

Next:
    I would bench run it at half throttle for 3 min, not moving control surfaces, , Keep an eye on the motor, as it may get hot becuase of lack of airflow (weird with a prop, but it happens). See what the esc is doing, If it's super hot, then something is wrong with your motor setup.

It would be nice to have an amp meter on the motor and servos to see what the system is drawing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks again for reply, It burnt the esc up, had watt meter at 390 when rated for 450. These are just junk from what I can tell. Second combo from above supplier and same problem. Went to local LHS and bought eflite 25 and thunderbolt 54 esc and it rocks.11x7 prop, Vertical as long as I want and no issues. Love the plane but am done with the crap, saved 30 bucks over what I paid for new set up and it lasted 3 minutes, live and learn. Covering looks like the my only issue now? Thanks for all info,I don't post a lot but read a hell of a lot. Nick