Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

seaplane color for visibility

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

seaplane color for visibility

Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 PM
kargo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seaplane color for visibility

Hey Gang, hows the building season treating you?

I purchased a Great Planes Super Decathlon 40 that has been in the hangar for a while. It needs some TLC, and some floats... I intend to strip off the covering and refurbish it. I was daydreaming of a color scheme of some shade of blue against white, using the standard Decathlon starburst pattern. And then it hit me. If I use blue won't it make it hard to see over/against the water?

Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: seaplane color for visibility

I fly two blue and white waterbirds with no problems (at least as far as visibility goes (-: ).
Walt
Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
kargo

Thanks Walt, its a load off. I was really worried I wouldn't be able to follow my daydreams. Happy flying
Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprisingly and against all logic, light blue is one of the most visible colors. 

What you really want is a contrasting scheme so that when one shade is washed out against the background, the other is visible. 
White gets lost against any overcast. 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Depends a lot on your flying environment...is the sun behind you, off to one side, or in front of you? What background will you be flying against? Crystal clear blue skies, clouds, snow, trees, rocks, concrete buidlings??? Most colors will silloette out under certain lighting conditions. Of all the available colors over the years, I have found that cub yellow is the best for most lighting / background conditions.....
Old 02-13-2012, 07:11 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this color would be one big pain,surprisingly I could tell contrast. Maybe the letters helped. Flew my T-craft with dark blue wings and white fuselage. Never again for the contrast where I fly. I think he yellow white star burst for the scout would be good. Defintilty different.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36704.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1726672