Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Box tape on bottom of neptune?

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Box tape on bottom of neptune?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 AM
raile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Box tape on bottom of neptune?

would it be ok to use box tape on the bottom of neptune before covering gets to bad or just recover?if recover, Can you just go over old covering with monokote for an added layer? Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Crash-RCU

Default RE: Box tape on bottom of neptune?

If you are flying off of water I would think the tape would come off. I would just remove the covering from the bottom if that is all that is going bad and recover it. Ultracote is a better covering than Monokote, easier to use is stronger and shrinks better. The only thing wrong with two layers of covering is you will probably end up with air bubbles because of trapped air between the 2 layers and it will add unwanted weight. One layer of Ultracote on the bottom of my flying boat works fine.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Crash-RCU

double post sorry.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Box tape will be fine. Just be sure to wrap the tape over the edges of the bottom onto the sides a little. Test the tape first. I have seen at least one brand of box/shipping tape that is not waterproof.

Jim
Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 AM
wbrosen
My Feedback: (7)

I left the covering on and just used west system epoxy and some fiberglass on the inside of the front - before the step to reinforce the hull. The weight is insignificant.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:39 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you DO use tape, get the good stuff at a real shipping or office supply store. Cheepo stuff at WallyWorld has much less adhesion than the good stuff.   Start at the rear and work toward the front so any seams will be shingled appropriately.  

I was flying my Telemaster on foam floats one day, overshot the landing and hit the riprap. Granite is stronger than balsa and styrofoam. It Gashed up the bottom of one float pretty badly. But since they were foam floats and could not sink, I just taped over the damage and kept flying.