Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Floated ElectroStik?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Floated ElectroStik?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floated ElectroStik?

Hi Guys,

I can't remember where I read it (but I'm pretty certain that it was on RCU) that the 52" Electrifly ElectroStik ARF ([link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=gpma7500&search=Go]Mash Here[/link]) makes a good float trainer. So I bought one. I also bought a second set of landing gear legs. I then bought a set of 34" Slimline floats from Ralph at PlaneFunFloats. (BEAUTIFUL floats, I must add!)

Since the ElectroStik is a taildragger, the maingear legs are already properly positioned for becoming the forward float attachment points. My question (and I'm hoping that someone who has already converted this particular plane chimes in) is where and how do I attach the second gear legs for the aft float attachment points? More specifically, how far aft of the forward gear legs and what kind of fuselage reinforcement is needed? Also, where did you position the step? (Keep in mind that this model will be used as a float trainer.)

And finally, is a float rudder worth the added complication?

Many thanks,

Harvey
Old 03-11-2012, 10:58 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Floated ElectroStik?

Someone else will undoubtedly respond with the how-to on attaching the struts.

You will undoubtedly get advice they you need water rudder(s) the more and the bigger-the better. It is a prevailing notion.
I have suggested that we engrave a piece of granite to say "If your motor is running, you can taxi with the air rudder. If your motor is NOT running-it doesn't matter"
I have summarized what the FAA teaches pilots about taxiing seaplanes before they issue a seaplane certificate, here:
http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floatsi...%20skills.html

If you feel the urge to have a water rudder, extend a wire straight down from the rudder, and bend it horizontal on the end. A doubled piece of tape will serve as the control surface.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM
H5487

Thanks Jim, I had hoped that you would be one of the responders. I'll take it that a water rudder is unnecessary and that'll be fine with me. What is your suggestion for the step location?

Harvey
Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
JimCasey

I am honored by your compliment. Another point I neglected to mention: your three-channel with its high wing and light weight will be ultra tippy if you try to taxi crosswind. Prudence would suggest you fly late afternoons and early mornings, in the calms of the day.

Step location is the same as for every plane-Just behind the balance point.

Since the Lite Stik has a severe undercambered airfoil, the BP may be aft of where other airfoils balance. Nevertheless: spot the balance point per the instructions, and drop a line from there, inclined 10 degrees aft of vertical. put the step there. Make sure it's still balanced.

Most important, get the floats parallel with each other in all 3 axes. Symmetrical, aligned with the fuselage when viewed from above and with the small amount of inclination I show in my sketch.

Your takeoffs and landings will just take a few feet. Ralph's floats are marvelous-I have a set I am about to install. Your plane will fly/takeoff/land so slowly you might not need to realize how great Ralph's floats are.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:48 PM
H5487

Thanks, Jim. Actually, the ElectroStik is four channel with an option to install a second aileron servo in order to produce flaperons, which I intend to experiment with.

Thanks for your inputs!

Harvey
Old 03-11-2012, 07:03 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a top flite elder years ago set up on taildrager floats,, it worked great,, actually I think it handed better that a twin float set up does,, no water rudder needed at all

Last year I picked up a nitro planes ep version of the electro stick,, I'm going to buld the same set up soon,, it's very easy to do

edit,, I found the picture of the Elder,, and started http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11011705/tm.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46969.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1737772  
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
JimCasey

OK, I was thinking of a different airplane. 

Ralph's floats will be even better on this.  I had a H9 Super-stik once.  Mounted the floats with 2 identical sets of H9 gear legs.   With the flat bottom of the fuselage, This set the incidence at zero, and it would not take off without dropping a little flaperon. 

Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Otter Guy

if flaperon is all it takes you got it made, especially the higher performing aircraft on floats, lifters like the beaver and the otter, and rockets like caravan, beech 18, even 185's, all need the flaps on the water more than on land. a loaded beaver will more than likely never be able to get off the water with flaps up. just get used to having a set configuration you always use for takeoff and landing. and flaps make it easier, slower, softer.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 AM
sherman89

Otter guy,
It is obvious that you have full scale float time, have you had kids in their boats cut up the water and make waves so you can get a loaded otter off from glassy water on a warm day? You are so correct -most "loaded" float planes would not leave the water without the use of flaps.