Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Sig Sealane CG and control throws?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Sig Sealane CG and control throws?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 AM
aa1a
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Sealane CG and control throws?

Hi All,
I recently bought a Sealane at an estate sale. I need to find out the throws and CG location. Sig has the instruction book online but it refers to the plans for the throws and CG location.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Jim
Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM
wetbird
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Sig Sealane CG and control throws?

Hi Jim
I can try helping you, but first we need to know what kinda seaplane you have? I know it's a Sig, is it a flying boat type or a float plane?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Lamoilleriver

Looked down in the basement and determined that the plans must be up in the shed, will look later for you. Just an FYI, the SIG Sealane will need "chines" installed to aid in getting it up on "plane", without it is a real dog to get it off the water. Installed chines on mine this winter and hope to test them out soon.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Lamoilleriver

Would have been back sooner, tackled by the wife for a couple of "honey do " things.

Airlerons - 7/16" up/down

Elevator - 1/2" up/down

Rudder - 1-1/4" left/right

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 AM
aa1a

Thank you Lamoilleriver. I appreciate the help. Do you know where the CG is supposed to be? I've read several posts that recomend adding the chines. I was going to try to fly it once then decide what I needed to do. I was planning to do something similar to my Lanier Mariner to make the belly wider and deflect the spray.
Thanks again for the help,
Jim
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 AM
aa1a

Hi Wetbird,
That was SeaLane not SeaPLane. But thanks for the response and the offer to help.
Jim

Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Lamoilleriver

ORIGINAL: aa1a

Thank you Lamoilleriver. I appreciate the help. Do you know where the CG is supposed to be? I've read several posts that recomend adding the chines. I was going to try to fly it once then decide what I needed to do. I was planning to do something similar to my Lanier Mariner to make the belly wider and deflect the spray.
Thanks again for the help,
Jim
Back up in the shed in the morning and I will take a peek at the plans again, pretty sure it is right on the main spar, but will get you an exact measurement.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Lamoilleriver

The CG is 3 - 1/4" from the leading edge, which is exactly the center of the spar.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
aa1a

Thanks Lamoilleriver, Just what I needed. I'm going to fly it this weekend, or at least try.
Jim
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Lamoilleriver

ORIGINAL: aa1a

Thanks Lamoilleriver, Just what I needed. I'm going to fly it this weekend, or at least try.
Jim

Waiting for the report.[8D]
Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
aa1a

I flew it last weekend. It flew great. It needed quite a bit of down trim. I need to recheck the CG. I may have got it foreword a little too far. Hanging upside down on the CG machine with the engine pod down, it takes a lot of weight just to get it to rock a little.
On the water, the lake was fairly smooth but not glassy. With the 46FX and a 3 blade prop (10-7) it climbed right up on step and jumped off the water. Once it was trimmed it flew great with no bad habits. Landing was a piece of cake. It did not want to bury the nose in the water like many sea planes I've seen. I held full up elevator until it got up on step, relaxed the elevator to pick up speed, then a little up to fly it off. I'm not ready to modify the bottom yet until I try it on choppier water. The kit is 103 bucks from Sig. Seems like a good deal. I'd build one.
Jim