Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Floats on an E-flight Alpha Sport 450

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Floats on an E-flight Alpha Sport 450

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Taxus812

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floats on an E-flight Alpha Sport 450

Hi
Inew to this board. I have been wanting to fly on water since I was 8 (early 70's).Irecently got back into the hobby and I live on a resivoir (that is oh 2ft deep). Way too much temptation. I put floats on my40 size cub (10 Lbs)andwell....... things didnt go great. I throttled back to low and stalled in a turn. there was onlyminor damage and repairs are almost done ( im going to ask about this in another post).

NowI'm thinking of putting floats on my E-flight Alpha sport450 first.That bird handles fantastic and has lots of power to spare. I seen a post on u-tube but there was no information on how he mounted them. Has anyone on this board done this? Can I pick your brain on the subject ?

Well thanks for the help in advance
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Floats on an E-flight Alpha Sport 450

Welcome to the board,,

Sounds like you learn the hard way the first lesson of float planes,, they stall quick with all the drag and extra weight of the floats.

Shouldn't be hard to set up the Alpha on floats,, I don't have one, but looking at the specs a set of 30" floats should do ya fine. Plenty of knowledge here to get ya going. Jim will be along soon to recommend Foam Floats ,, Not a bad idea for that that smaller size plane,, keep it light as possible and it will do well,

Good luck
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM
SeaPlaneSupply
My Feedback: (7)

Jim must be busy, so I will recommend 30" foam floats.. Check out my web site I sell a 27" Apprentice float kit that works very well, that I can make into a 30" float.
You can check out Ralphs www.planefunfloats.com also..

Mark
www.seaplanesupply.com
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Taxus812

Awsome,

I have a couple of questions to ask related to electrics and water

waterproofing besides the reciever should I also put the ESC in a bag as well ? How about the battery ? After watching my cub floating like a bobber nose down i thinking getting the battery wet would be very bad

Also I was thinking of miking up epoxy and alchohol and basicly fuel , i mean.... water proofing the interior to cut down on water absorbsion in the balsa (concerned about weight)

Good idea ?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Taxus812

Well I fininshed. Its a lot of fun to fly. Icant wait to put floats on another airplaneI have

http://youtu.be/gUQEs4wKEFA