Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

water proofing electronics

I have always been a student at the school of hard knocks. I was wondering how\if you water proof you speed contol ?

I was testing my Alpha 450 to see how it behaved without a water rudder and it flipped with a very high gust got under it. (11mph wids that day).Needless to say it looks like the burned out theESC\BEC (the moter just twithches instead of turning). I am going to buy a cheep $12 30A ESC\BECto replace it but think I should probablywaterproof it. How are you guys doing this and still allowing for cooling ?

thanks

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: water proofing electronics

The motor may be bad too,,I have a few like that, try it with another ESC before you think it's just the ESC that's bad.

Guys douse them in CorrosionX with mixed results, I personally haven't tried it myself
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am worried about that as well. Since this is the only electric I have, I ordered a $12, 30 AMP, no name ESC\BEC.

I tried a few things to tet the motor without a ESC:
      [*]Measued resistance between the leads and they all have the same resistance (.6 ohms).[*]Tested each lead for a shorts against the case.[*]Spun the motor and touched the leads together and it got harder to spin.[*]Set the volt meter to measure AC voltage andspun the motor by hand.Imeassured the votage accross each lead. I got the same voltage on each (about 3 volts)[/list]
      So farthe motorlooks ok before I hook it up and burn out the new ESC. The ESCshould be here friday and I will know for sure then . I wasthinking of spraying it with that stuff I seen on TV (where they put a screen door on a boat and spray it). Is thatCorrosionX ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of our guys do use the corosionX with good results. Others take the shrink tube off and coat it with epoxy. Also good results. If is has a heat sink they remove that before the epoxy and then put it back on.
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is not corosionX
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

where do you get it?
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

True Value Hardware carries the 6 oz spray can of red CX( you want the stuff in the red can or bottle)> If not in stock they can order it from there warehouse. Empty the spray can into a jar, you need to soak ESCs and not just spray them under the shrink cover. You need to make sure every nook and cranny under the shrink gets coated and all the air is displaced while soaking. Just spraying does not work I have first hand experience with this, all is good since I now soak instead of spray. I also soak the RX but not servos or the motor. if servos quit due to water open up and let dry, they should work again and motors I just use a light oil on the bearings.
    Garry J

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The ESC was damaged. I got the new one yesterday.

I seen a video waterproofing using Liquid Electrical Tape.I have decided to give it a try. Well I dunked the birdtrying to take off (whole other issue) totaly got the interior wet and soaked the new ESC . no an issues.