Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking for plans for an HU-16 Albatross

I just aquired two almost new Magnum XL .30 four stroke engines for free. I would like to build an Albatross to fit these engines on. What size would be good for those engines and who sells plans for it? I would perfer wood builtup plans but might explore foam.

skeeter
    \"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Looking for plans for an HU-16 Albatross

Hi Skeeter,

You may wish to give Bill Price at G&P Sales a call He has an Albatross Kit that I think will work with your engines. It comes as a Fiberglass Fuselage and foam wing that is sheeted. Might be worth a look.

Carlos G
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #84

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G&P sales website shows a 81" Albatross. Way to big for a couple .30 four strokes to haul around and it only comes as a kit not plans. Maybe someone that has plans for a larger one i could downsize. I was thinkiing 55" would be a good size. What do ya think?

skeeter
    \"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.scaleplansusa.com/ You can try this guy. They are not listed on his website but I believe he has plans around 96". Henry is a really good guy to deal with. Possiably he might be willing to resize his plan for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Sheeter,
    Don't just dismiss the G&P Sales Albatross kit without taking a closer look at it. I have that kit, and I bought the scale gear strut package to go with it. The flying footage that comes with the Albatross package is of a kit powered by two K&B .40 2-stroke engines. These .40's haul the Albatross around much too fast, for scale flight anyway. I think your 4-stroke .30's would be ideal for the kit, but the G&P package is a little pricey. I'll be building mine with a pair of OS Wankel 30's because I've committed to the smaller engines too. Remember, they will have to carry the retractable gear package too. I'm making my engine choice based on what I have SEEN. Personally, I think you would be fine with the Magnums. Although the G&P kit has a span of 81", the wing chord is only about 10" or so. The total wing area of ~810 sq/in is only slightly more than that of the Top-Flite .60-size single engine warbirds.

There is another kit being made, though I have no experience with the company. Check this one out too:

http://www.ucrcs.com/qualls_aviation.htm