Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Looking for plans for an HU-16 Albatross

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Looking for plans for an HU-16 Albatross

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 PM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for plans for an HU-16 Albatross

I just aquired two almost new Magnum XL .30 four stroke engines for free. I would like to build an Albatross to fit these engines on. What size would be good for those engines and who sells plans for it? I would perfer wood builtup plans but might explore foam.

skeeter
Old 05-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for plans for an HU-16 Albatross

Hi Skeeter,

You may wish to give Bill Price at G&P Sales a call He has an Albatross Kit that I think will work with your engines. It comes as a Fiberglass Fuselage and foam wing that is sheeted. Might be worth a look.

Carlos G
Old 05-20-2012, 03:11 PM
skeeter_ca

G&P sales website shows a 81" Albatross. Way to big for a couple .30 four strokes to haul around and it only comes as a kit not plans. Maybe someone that has plans for a larger one i could downsize. I was thinkiing 55" would be a good size. What do ya think?

skeeter
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

http://www.scaleplansusa.com/ You can try this guy. They are not listed on his website but I believe he has plans around 96". Henry is a really good guy to deal with. Possiably he might be willing to resize his plan for you.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:43 AM
WINDSHEAR II
My Feedback: (258)

Hey Sheeter,
Don't just dismiss the G&P Sales Albatross kit without taking a closer look at it. I have that kit, and I bought the scale gear strut package to go with it. The flying footage that comes with the Albatross package is of a kit powered by two K&B .40 2-stroke engines. These .40's haul the Albatross around much too fast, for scale flight anyway. I think your 4-stroke .30's would be ideal for the kit, but the G&P package is a little pricey. I'll be building mine with a pair of OS Wankel 30's because I've committed to the smaller engines too. Remember, they will have to carry the retractable gear package too. I'm making my engine choice based on what I have SEEN. Personally, I think you would be fine with the Magnums. Although the G&P kit has a span of 81", the wing chord is only about 10" or so. The total wing area of ~810 sq/in is only slightly more than that of the Top-Flite .60-size single engine warbirds.

There is another kit being made, though I have no experience with the company. Check this one out too:

http://www.ucrcs.com/qualls_aviation.htm