Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

What size electric motor to use? Please Help

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

What size electric motor to use? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM
cnnbarker1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size electric motor to use? Please Help

Ok so if i were to put an electric motor such as the electrify rimfire, on the great planes seawind 60. size which motor would you all use?
Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What size electric motor to use? Please Help

I'm currently flying an electric Seawind and there are a lot of advantages to going that way. It's lighter, since you can use the batteries to adjust the CG (glo versions add up to 2lbs of balance weight in the nose). It takes a lot of weight off the pylon and puts it in the hull, which makes it easier to take off. Basically you need a motor/esc/battery setup capable of putting out at least 1250 watts using a 13" maximum diameter prop since about the lightest weight you can get is about 10 lbs. if you skip the landing gear. (13x8x3 prop recommended). I would recommend a motor rated for at least 1500 watts to give you a margin of safety.

I'm currently powering my Seawind with a Hyperion Zs4020-08 coupled with a castle ice 100 amp esc and a 4s 4000mah 25C battery. This allows me to get the power using a low voltage system but whatever you do, protect your electronics with CorrosionX (an oily compound that keeps water from shorting things out if they get wet). The other motor that I have used is a Scorpion 4020-12 with a 6S lipo. So if you have a 6s battery, use a motor with >540kv or if you're using a 4s battery go with a motor with >775 kv.

If you are in the process of putting your Seawind together, can you measure the incidence of the stab in relation to the wing and let me know what the angle is of your setup. If you haven't glued it together yet, you might want to consider changing the angle to -2deg. Mine is currently +3deg. and it porpoises badly on takeoff I've learned a lot since I put my Seawind together. Also, the CG needs to be moved back to 2 - 2 1/8" since you will not be burning off fuel during the flight.

Bob
Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What size electric motor to use? Please Help

The Rimfire 60 costs $110 and comes in only one Kv- 650

You can get the Turnigy G60 from hobbyking for $52, in 3, 4 and 500Kv.

I've been using Turnigy motors since December. Well made and they do what HK claims they will do. Can't say that about the Rimfires. Some of their claims are nowhere near the mark.

If you want a set of specs for that application, PM me with the expected weight of the aircraft and I'll run it on ecalc to see what it comes up with.

I have a Mikulasko Arrow flying boat that I built with a Turnigy G-46, and it howls.