Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

First Float?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

First Float?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Float?

I am looking to buy a float plane, and I want to know what kind I should get. It needs to be electric, preferably a scale plane, at least somewhat aerobatic, low price,and easy to take off/ land. What do you guys think?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: First Float?

This one is outstanding

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSAG3&P=ML
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the SeaWind though t is a seaplane not a float plane. One was given to me as a thank you for working on his planes and teaching him to float fly. It was not something I would have bought myself because of the price for what you get... But if you didn't think about the price it is an excellent plane, flys very well and holds up to a lot of abuse.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 PM
JimCasey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't fault the little electric seawind. 

If you want a "FLOATPLANE" then any of the SIG Kadet series on floats will provide years of entertainment .  These require little power and respond well to electrification. 
Use foam-core  floats.  Plane FunFloats, or Seaplane Supply are great places to shop. 
Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Multiplex/Hitec Mentor with float kit. Saw the Magister (supposedly same wing and fuse) and it was a good starter for someone. Depends what you want.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM
WaffleMan

Just a question about the seawind: On realflight 5.5, the seawind model is tricky to land on water. Is it this hard to land in real life?
and also when I say electric, That could mean an ARF designed for nitro but converted. I know a guy who wants to replace the electic motor in a trainer to a nitro, which is a 40 size. I have the engine he would need and would be willing to trade, so if a 40 size float/seaplane is availible that would be nice provided it dosent need a very long stretch of water. also, for you guys reccomendig trainers on floats, I am not all that new to RC planes. Just float flying. I would prefer something a bit more aerobatic than a trainer.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Listen to Mr Casey. Starting with a Kadet type will prevent smoke on/in the water. You did say first float. Lots of fancy flying with Kadets/Protege's at float flies.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:39 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

WM,
Just about anything can be adapted to floats, one of my first was an extra 230 with a single float set up, I also has a great planes Super Decathlon,, both very aerobatic but not scale in the sense you'd see a full scale version on floats set up that way.

My question is when you say preferably a scale plane, at least somewhat aerobatic,, do you mean a scale float plane as in a true full scale float plane, or a scale model adapted to floats??

Many guys choose a Cub for a first plane, only a baby step above a trainer for sure, they are "scale" and somewhat aerobatic,, clip the wings and they are even more snappy,,

good luck
Old 01-20-2012, 05:09 AM
WaffleMan

What I mean, is that I want a scaled down version of a full scale float/seaplane that has some aerobatic capabilities. It dosent need to do full out 3d, but just some more basic stuff. However, as I say this, I will consider a sport-type plane with floats, If that is the best way to do this. In the meantime, Im gonna make floats for my ultra micro t-28
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 AM
WaffleMan

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Many guys choose a Cub for a first plane, only a baby step above a trainer for sure, they are "scale" and somewhat aerobatic
I dont think a Cub would be a step up from the tainer I learned on.... Sweet sticks are very aerobatic for what they are.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:27 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: WaffleMan

What I mean, is that I want a scaled down version of a full scale float/seaplane that has some aerobatic capabilities. It dosent need to do full out 3d, but just some more basic stuff.
There are very few planes that meet your criteria. The Japanese "RUFE" the float equipped ZERO. Supermarine put floats on both a Spitfire Mk V and Mk IX, but it never went to production.

But there is one very successfull moded model that will fill the bill. The Parkzone F-4F Wildcat on floats does a great imitation of the full scale counterpart the Wildcatfish

The model:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Articles/Ar...ArticleID=2172

The prothttp:Google search images for Wildcatfish
Old 01-20-2012, 05:45 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Having converted a [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9625739/anchors_9625739/mpage_1/key_rufe/anchor/tm.htm#9625739]GWS Zero to a Rufe [/link] and burning up 2 esc/motor combos,, IMO those little planes are a handfull when converted to water use. I wouldn't go that small again

A buddy years ago put a World Models T-34 on floats with a ys53, That plane little flew great,
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 PM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

Seawinds are tricky to land, they tend to skip and nose in. In the air they are very fast and smooth. A light acrobatic plane such as a 300 on floats is probably what you want.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:14 AM
sherman89

ORIGINAL: WaffleMan

I am looking to buy a float plane, and I want to know what kind I should get. It needs to be electric, preferably a scale plane, at least somewhat aerobatic, low price, and easy to take off/ land. What do you guys think?

The H9 1/4 scale cub with the H9 scale floats makes a very good float plane, I have one that I did electric with a P-110 Eflite motor turning a 18X6 APC prop. It make a good package and it works and it goes together quite easily and it is a proven performer. It is very difficult to find a good float plane with good water characteristics and aerobatics in the same package.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45380.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1718684  
Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 AM
chistech

I have flown a real nice 40 ARF that adapted well to floats. There is a smaller electric version that I believe would fit your bill of a electric sport plane on floats. It would be the Mini Pulse XT ARF from Horizon. You will need to pick up the proper size foam floats but I can personally tell you the 40 size Pulse with an OS 46 make a great flying, super fun, aerobatic float plane. I would think the Mini version in electric would do the same. Just my opinion. Horizon link below.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...xt-arf-EFL2375
Old 01-25-2012, 05:33 PM
fledermaus

I'll put in a vote for a SIG LT-40. I converted mine to floats after moving from basic trainer flying and it is a ton of fun. If you want e-power just set it up that way. I built my floats from scratch but you can put RTF floats on it if you want. I'd recommend putting "60-size" floats on because the LT-40 is really a 60-size airframe with a 40-size motor. The typical "40-size" floats you buy are just a bit too small and will sit too deep in the water, IMHO.

Small float planes are ok if you have really calm water but where we fly you'd have trouble with the waves if your plane was much less than about 48 inch span.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM
chistech

Here is a Pulse 25 on floats with E power ready to go for a good price. It's right here on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=814940 You can't go wrong.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 AM
JimCasey

I am building a Kadet Senior.  Not that it takes a big stretch of imagination, but it will look like a Cub when I am done. 
Elliptical stab, moved the rudder back and shaped it like a cub rudder, round wingtips.  Ailerons and flaps.
3 acres of Cub Yellow Ultracote. 

Anybody who doesn't think a KSr is Aerobatic has not bent the sticks with one.  Even the "as designed" 3-channel is a hoot and will fly inverted indefinitely. I saw a video of some old geezer flying one and he refused to roll it because it had a flat-bottom airfoil. (Insert expression of disdain and contempt here)

Cubs I have flown will drop a wing and need some altitude to recover.  Kadets I have flown are more forgiving. 

I have several "fuel" motors I might use, but I am also thinking that a 1000 watt electric setup would be about right. 

Seawind: Buddy of mine fixed his foamie electric seawind  to have pleasant water manners by moving the step aft to where it should be, and extending the drooped wingtips down to the height of the top of the step, with a slightly enlarged planing surface.  He has NO issues with instability on takeoff or porpoising on landing, now. 
Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 AM
sherman89

I guess one must define the word "aerobatic" and then apply it to the float plane world. As a full scale pilot of float planes and also aerobatic planes I can assure you that aerobatics do not apply to float planes at all. If scale flying our models does not apply then the sky is the limit, just put more power on the front until you get the performance that you want. Even then you will not get a float plane to perform aerobatics as compared to a aerobatic plane so in the end it is up to the modeler, what do I really want to do. I personally lean to the scale side and fly that way but that is my choice. I just can't bring myself to do a rolling circle with my 40% super cub on floats, if I did I would need to double the horsepower up front. As an active IMAC participant precision aerobatics belong in the aerobatic plane class that are capable of doing them well-just sayin'.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11913.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1719255  
Old 06-03-2012, 12:46 PM
WaffleMan

I hate to reawaken old threads, but I am now scared of seawinds in general. A full scale one had engine trouble and crashed into the DeLand publix. Call it superstition, but I wont have anything to do with a seawind.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Crash-RCU

Don"t confuse the small electric Seawind with the full scale or the larger glow powered GP Seawind. The epowered foam Seawind has a lot lighter wing loading and is pretty easy to land. The larger fiberglass GP seawind is a bear to fly and land with a very high wing loading. I have found takeoffs harder than landing the small ep Seawind from water, grass or snow is just hit the throttle and go.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Charlie P.

If you waved off scale models because a full-size had crashed you wouldn't have anything to fly.

For an aerobatic sport float plane I can HIGHLY recommend a Saratoga 40 on the Hanger 9 .40 size floats.   Inverted flat spins look much more interesting with the floats over the airplane.  ;-)  There is a lot more drag and the pendulum effect is noticable, but this still has a fair roll and I fly it hard.   Forget knife edge, though.

Last float fly I noted it was a bit doggy and, when I dropped the nose to land I ran out of up elevator and splunked in very ungracefully.  When I got it home I drilled a hole and drained the sealed float - and poured 10 oz (measured) of water out of that side!  When I nosed down it had all rushed to the front of the float.  The fact I got that much airborne and was able to function - mostly - speaks a lot about the reserve lift and control throw the airframe has.  Added a 3/8" drain plug and sealed the hole (it was leaking where the covering was loose over a glue-tab frame hole that hadn't been filled with glue).  Flies even better on wheels or skis.  If it happens again I'll remove the covering and glass & paint the floats.

Flies very much like the Pulse - another great float plane.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 AM
WaffleMan

Does anyone know much about the parkzone Icon A5? It seems like a pretty nice option to consider. Where I would be flying this, balsa is not much of an option. And it has to be relativley small, as well. It may not be the most aerobatic, but its more than a cub.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Charlie P.

A friend has one. Looks great. Is not especially aerobatic - but probably quite scale in performance. Ithought it flew like a small foam model (I'm not the best judge of suchthings).He listed it for sale in the next newsletter after having flown it for one day. His little foam electricMultiplex Mentor, on the other hand, was MUCHperkier and flew better in all categories (for substantially less $).