Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another aqua-star build question

I am building aHerr Engineering Aqua-star sea plane.
    I have the motor pylon finished. I am covering the plane with monokote, but am not sure if should paint the pylon or cover it.
    For those of you who have built this plane, how did you finish the motor pylon?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Another aqua-star build question

I have a couple of them.  One is painted, and the other is covered with film.  It doesn't matter as long as everything is sealed.  My electric was very heavy (before brushless came) and a Norvel .049 wouldn't leave the water, so I put in a Norvel .06, and it wouldn't idle properly. I am thinking about brushless too.  I think more floatation is needed on the front of the plane.  They both flew ok, but wouldn't take off water.  They did some weird torque rolls from a hand launch at full throttle too.  That required glue.  I am not really happy with them and don't have a great place to fly them any more. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Build the front half of the fuselage like an ACE Seamaster. Chines help, but what you really need is bouyancy. Recently built a Sig Sealane and HOB Cheapsass, both perform poorly on water, could not even get the Cheapass to get up on step. Will strip covering this winter and redesign hulls to be more like that on the Seamaster. Have built many HOB and SIG kits over the years and have been extremely happy with them, but they dropped the ball on these two kits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's the first time I ever heard anything negative about the Cheapass10 seaplane. 

Aqua-Sub, and its big brother are known to have problems.  I have never seen an Aqua-star that would ROW altho some are reported and electrics help.

Jim Casey/Seaplane Nerd
    http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floats.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Aqua Star would ROW no bother, on a Norvel .061 (which took a LOT of running in BTW)
    even then the crude carb did not allow much of an idle. If I built another it would be electric.
    A friend still has one, with a little brushless motor and it takes off and flies no bother too.

On mine I think I painted the pylon.
    After failing to seal the windshield I removed the glazing and sheeted it with balsa, then painted it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JimCasey

That's the first time I ever heard anything negative about the Cheapass10 seaplane.*

Aqua-Sub, and its big brother are known to have problems.* I have never seen an Aqua-star that would ROW altho some are reported and electrics help.

The Cheapass sits low in the water and water flows over the bow. Built it to plans and am using a OS.10LA for power and it balanced with a 4-cell battery pack in the nose. Covered with Monokote and used no fiberglass or paint.

I'm thinking this winter to modify the hull and copy the Seamaster hull and possibly adding 1 to 3 inches to the nose.