Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how to glue Polaris XL

bought the kit and looked and looked and trying to figure out the best glue to use and which section of the wing to glue first. I guess 30 min. expoxy with microballoons since I have so many areas of the foam to glue and line up, tape, insert carbon fiber. etc. Anyone else out there built one and got any tips. Instructions I guess assume you know which glue and technique, etc. Thanks for any feedback.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: how to glue Polaris XL

My instructions said to use medium foam safe CA and spray adhesive in other areas. Don't build it heavy. What motor are you putting on it. Did it come from model-Aero? I built the aqua-cat, 2 members have the polaris and one has the aqua-jet.
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

got some ca for some of it and one polaris how to used gorilla glue for lots of it. The XL wing is in 4 pieces and has to be lined up for the four carbon fiber spars. There are two sections you can do by themselves but the others all have to be lined up good. Not sure which motor yet. Probably the smaller of the recomended for longer flight times. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i would suggest going the other motor.  The 2 polaris's have both motors and the smaller one does not do the job.  You can always throttle back.
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finished my Polaris recently and hope to maiden her this weekend. I used Bob Smith Industries medium CA and Bob Smith kicker as well. Used 30 minute epoxy and micro-balloons on the carbon spars, alcohol to clean up the excess before it set. There are over 1200 PAGES on the Polaris on RC Groups. Go to electric planes, foamies (scratch built), and look for an entry about the Polaris. Someone writes something every day about the Polaris. You can find answers to questions you might have. Good luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks GB, will check it out. And this is an XL... 38 " wingspan with a couple more glue joints and spars to deal with.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As you read through the polaris entries, you will come across a section where the XL is being developed. The guy talks about the maiden flight of the prototype XL etc. Very interesting stuff.