Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

how to glue Polaris XL

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

how to glue Polaris XL

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to glue Polaris XL

bought the kit and looked and looked and trying to figure out the best glue to use and which section of the wing to glue first. I guess 30 min. expoxy with microballoons since I have so many areas of the foam to glue and line up, tape, insert carbon fiber. etc. Anyone else out there built one and got any tips. Instructions I guess assume you know which glue and technique, etc. Thanks for any feedback.

Jim
Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
goirish

Default RE: how to glue Polaris XL

My instructions said to use medium foam safe CA and spray adhesive in other areas. Don't build it heavy. What motor are you putting on it. Did it come from model-Aero? I built the aqua-cat, 2 members have the polaris and one has the aqua-jet.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM
cubfloater

got some ca for some of it and one polaris how to used gorilla glue for lots of it. The XL wing is in 4 pieces and has to be lined up for the four carbon fiber spars. There are two sections you can do by themselves but the others all have to be lined up good. Not sure which motor yet. Probably the smaller of the recomended for longer flight times. Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 PM
goirish

i would suggest going the other motor.  The 2 polaris's have both motors and the smaller one does not do the job.  You can always throttle back.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
gbman
My Feedback: (4)

I finished my Polaris recently and hope to maiden her this weekend. I used Bob Smith Industries medium CA and Bob Smith kicker as well. Used 30 minute epoxy and micro-balloons on the carbon spars, alcohol to clean up the excess before it set. There are over 1200 PAGES on the Polaris on RC Groups. Go to electric planes, foamies (scratch built), and look for an entry about the Polaris. Someone writes something every day about the Polaris. You can find answers to questions you might have. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:32 PM
cubfloater

Thanks GB, will check it out. And this is an XL... 38 " wingspan with a couple more glue joints and spars to deal with.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 PM
gbman
My Feedback: (4)

As you read through the polaris entries, you will come across a section where the XL is being developed. The guy talks about the maiden flight of the prototype XL etc. Very interesting stuff.