Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cub of a different color.

I picked up an old man's plane collection and have going through them and selling them one by one. This Sig 1/4 cub w/floats and land gear needed a total recover and new power. While lots of guys love a cub lots hate the fact most are yellow or OD. I decided to cover this one in period colors but not the typical Cub colors. I had a few say I was crazy but give me your opinions. It's not quite done yet but will be soon and maiden flight before the end of this month. This cub will be for sale I think but you never know once I fly it!

Sig 1/4 cub
    OS 1.20 FS
    Sonictronics On board glow
    JR 4131 90oz. torque servos on elevator and rudder
    All Solartex covering, brand new
    Sig floats, push-pull cable driven water rudder
    All new windows
    New BUSA fiberglass cowl w/engine detail, customized to fit

Some pictures of it before covering and after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36884.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	1782449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn41877.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	1782450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc78290.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	1782451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45240.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	1782452  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Cub of a different color.

Ted,
    She looks great,,
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tom,
    How did you make out with your KF, did you get it straightened out? On the cub, I had a "purist" tell me it looks gaudy. I think it kind of looks like the old Cessnas of the same era. Of course they were aluminum and had an excuse to he half of those colors!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do they really fly, if not painted cub yellow?? LOL!!!
    Kits: F11C-2 1:4, Do-24T 1:8, P-3 1:10, Howard 500 1:5, XFY-1 1:4, SR-9 1:4, V-22 1:6, B-25J 1:4, F+W C3603 1:5, B314 1:11, DHC-4 1:10

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chistech

Hi Tom,
    How did you make out with your KF, did you get it straightened out?
    Yeah, I found another pinched line, but I could not go to that float fly a few weeks ago, it ended up raining pretty hard that morming anyways, I'll try again in two weeks if the weather cooperates.

You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good to hear you found it. Trying to get this cub done so I can maiden. Damn thing is big! Took $100 worth of Solartex to cover. Probably have some guy offer me $75 for it! LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Different, looks really nice though, I like it.
    Rich Border AMA 77727
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great, I'd take that over a yellow cub any day. The Solatex has a great sheen without gloss.
    For a kit you are, and to a kit you shall return.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks SmithCreek. It seems more like it than hate it, that's for sure. Got a little further along. Cowl has been modified, mounted, and custom brass intake made. Struts have been made up, shaped, and jury struts done. Struts and cowl gone to buddy's house for paint. Have to do the two color lightning stripe yet then glass. On board glow, fuel tank, remote filler, all servos all in. Waiting for 90 degree fitting for exhaust to route it out the back of cowl. More I work on this plane the more I think I might keep it unless I get a good offer.

Name:	Lj22328.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1784089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fb87698.jpg 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	1784090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb75993.jpg 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1784091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zt52578.jpg 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	1784092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om94253.jpg 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	1784093  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great.. Will need some registration letters/numbers to give it that extra edge .. It's too bad that a lot of the aircraft photo's from the 30's and 40's are BW.. You never really get to know some of the nice colors they had...(besides Cub yellow)
    Darren loves floatplanes... It\'\'s true
    just look at my gallery

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks CF. With it possibly being for sale I'm currently leaving the numbers off in case the new owner wants to personalize it. Some big black numbers on that "surf board" wing will really add to it. I did look at a lot of the old b&w pictures to get some ideas but also looked at some of the cubs we have down here at the local airport. Living on the coast, there are a lot of cubs with big belly tanks used for fish spotting here in New England. These pilots have their cubs painted in all different colors and configurations so they can be told from others when flying over the boats. They are also loaded with long range radio antennas. Can you imagine 5-6 yellow cubs or red and white SC's coming over! Last thing the fishermen want to do is memorize reg. numbers!
    I originally thought of dark red and aluminum as I already had the covering but my buddy thought it would look like crap. Then low and behold, Hanger 9's Tiger Moth comes out on the cover of a mag with the same damn colors and it looks real nice. Oh well, either way, red or the blue I used looks good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cowl is in primer and the struts are in resin. Have the exhaust in with a RC Specialties 90 degree fitting. Jim does super nice exhaust fittings and for $20! Got the two tone lightning stripe done so now its waiting for the cowl and struts to be final painted. Will start on the windows and windscreen tonight. Should be going up soon. Leaving for a 10 vacation with the wife next week so it might not happen for a couple weeks though.

Name:	Ig12462.jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	1785772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id96653.jpg 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1785773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz69113.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	1785774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pj18182.jpg 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	1785775  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ted,
    My wife and I were in Oshkosh on Tuesday, I saw a lot of Cubs,, None in that color combo, I did sit under a Maule during the airshow that was close.

Supposed to be a gathering of up to 75 Cubs for the 75th anniversary of the Cub on Friday. I'm not a huge Cub fan, but that would be cool to see.

p.s.
    I didn't make it to the lake, but I saw several set up as amphibians

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Tom. Maybe someday my wife and I can make it to Oshkosh(little jealous). I got an idea. Maybe I should buy a full size cub and paint it like this Sig and then there would definitely be one like it!
    On another note: I helped my buddy who has a Kolb light sport aircraft by designing/building a swing open canopy, doing some wiring, and engine work. He flew over my house yesterday about 150' to buzz us. It seems to fly really well and that Rotax though pretty loud, purred like a kitten. He has a few friends flying some other nice designs. Never know, might have a go at it. I think I'd prefer a full size 182RG though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well,
    I've flown the 182 (right seat) and if you got the $$ I say go for it. My issue is I'd never make it as a Solo pilot,, In very rare cases I get Vertigo and motion sickness.. I'm doomed to fly with my feet on the ground [:@]

Some incredible homebuilts there,, it was a sight to see

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Probably go half share with someone at first if I go that route. Maybe if I decide to really get into it I'll try and buy him out. My inlaws live in a house in central FL and with the 182 RG you can get there in 5 1/2hrs. My wife kind of likes that. Thing is I have a friend with a grass field and hanger just 2 miles from my house. He told me if I bought a plane I could keep it there free as he'd like the company. He is kind of a hermit and lives there alone. Doesn't like too many people on his land so a shared plane wouldn't work. I can fly RC there too with my brother and Gerry but that is it, nobody else. I learned to fly when I was 12 through 14 yrs old with a family friend. He was a great pilot and he had quite a history. He was originally a navigator in a bomber during the European campaign, WWII. When the pilot and co-pilot got shot he took over the controls and flew the wounded bomber back. He then was asked if he wanted to fly fighters and then volunteered. They put him in a P51 and he flew until the end of the war. Never asked any more about the action he saw. I wonder if I could look him up somewhere. He was a real short guy and another guy who passed who was in our club was one of the mechanics at his base. He said "Ernie" was a two cushion guy. He needed the extra cushions so he could see out of the canopy. He was a super nice guy and I ended up teaching HIM how to fly RC when I was 19. I used to go to his business which was next door to my parent's house and work on some of the planes he was restoring. I helped on a Cessna 190, holding the riveting anvil inside the fuse as I was the smallest (12 yrs). The next year he got a beautiful staggerwing but ended up getting a crazy offer from a guy out in the midwest so he sold it before even getting it close to flying. It had two fresh radials on stands that went with it. I learned to fly with him in his Cessna 205 and then later in his 337 Skymaster. I liked the 205 more and so did he. We had lost touch in the last 25 years but I just saw his son when he was in town and found out he is doing well in Kissimee FL. Funny thing is the FAA took his license way back in the 80's due to a small murmur or something like that and here he is still going strong. His son says he rides a bicycle and plays a little golf or tennis(can't remember).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glazing is in. The plastic Sig sells is pretty thick and really clear. Using the windshield pattern Sig supplies in the manual very little fitting was needed. I used a contact cement I have found works extremely well on our models for applying things like windscreen and plastic blisters. It is called Welder and comes in red metal tubes sold at Lowes. The metal tubes have a model cement type tip so small amounts of glue can be applied unlike most other types of contact cement it tubes. I trimmed back the covering around the windows and in the places the windscreen will make positive contact with the airframe so the glass isn't held on by the covering. I will mask the window frames off and paint when the cowl is painted. The skylight in the wing was framed up using some Plasticstruct square tubing and then using the Welder contact cement, glued in. The frame will get the same masking and paint as the rest. The struts have been glass reinforced and resined. The sanding is done and they will go to prime then finish paint. Hope to have it flying in a couple weeks. Will have the pictures of the maiden posted when it happens.

Name:	Lj22244.jpg 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	1787864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27238.jpg 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	1787865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl19046.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1787866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jd86950.jpg 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	1787867  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might want to get hold of your friend ( instructor ) for a little talk before it's to late. I heard that ww2 VETS are passing at about 11 a day.

I neglected to call someone about 2 weeks ago and got a message Friday that they had passed . I spent a lot of time on the phone Saturday with old friends but it didn't make up for the missed call . ENJOY !!! RED

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Advise well taken Red Head and I was just able to get his phone. I'm going to call him up and have a good long conversation.

Ted

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, finally got it done, all together, and ready to go. My buddy Gerry got the cowl, struts, windshield frames, wire float struts, and tail feather support wires all painted. He did a great job as usual and did a really good job matching the blue. He used a satin catalyst to match the Solartex look. Got all the electrics in foam and balanced it out perfect. It's on the chargers now and will be maiden tomorrow hopefully. I think it looks real nice. The wire grill box came out nice with the black paint on the cowl. Gerry even painted a door frame, the engine, and the exhaust pipes.

Name:	Ot47178.jpg 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	1793792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pj18418.jpg 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1793793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11053.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	1793794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf14465.jpg 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	1793795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fl18580.jpg 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1793796  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ic84375.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	1793797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq48196.jpg 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	1793790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx76714.jpg 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	1793791  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flew it yesterday and it flies very well. The solid mount float rudder makes for some hairy take offs so that will be changed with a flip up rudder. The OS 120 w/16x4 prop is an excellent combination. At half throttle it lifts right off and maintains flight with just over a third. It definitely has a "presence" in the air and the color combination adds to it. A few small items to straighten out and it will be all set. Lost the rear of the old OS muffler while flying and all the exhaust was going into the cowl making for some pretty interesting sounds and engine running characteristics. Already put a new muffler on and a couple more cooling holes in the cowl should finish it up. A fellow pilot told me he loved the "Sophia Veraga Blue" color so I decided to call the plane Sophia. I think a woman pilot is called for in this one. I might be putting up my H9 Super Cub for sale and keeping this one. We'll see.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to hear,, the plane looks great, enjoy her.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flew it again yesterday. This is a super flying plane that gets right up on step at half throttle and with the littlest amount of up it leaves the water just like a full scale. It is one of the nicest flying cubs I've ever flown. Rudder turns are super sweet and slipping it right around to flaring it down to a perfect touchdown is just great. My buddy Gerry agrees and is even tempted to get the kit and build one for himself. I will not be selling it and now will be putting on the reg numbers. One problem I am having with it is the Dubro rubber mounted aluminum motor mounts. It has twice broken my exhaust. First was an older muffler that came apart at the rear seam and second was my new 90 degree fitting from RC Specialties. I have purchased many of these fitting and never had one break. I am ordering new grommets thinking they might be tired as the mount is older and used. Hope that fixes the issue. The old OS 120 runs perfectly and with the 16x4 prop hauls this thing around with authority, just need to get the exhaust sorted out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Huh,
    I've had that mount on my Kingfisher with the ys120 for years, never had a muffler issue. Had one on other planes in the past also.

If the motor is moving around a lot when the metal inserts are all the way locked down, then yes, try new rubber inserts,, they do degrade and get softer over time. I just put new ones on mine this year too, only got 15 years out of them

Glad you're liking the plane, a good flying buddy of mine has the Sig 1/4 with a Saito 150,, it's a wonderful airframe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tom,
    Yea, I think the grommets have gone soft as I can move the motor pretty easily, up and down, side to side. I couldn't move it that much when I first mounted the engine but more so now. I have got new grommets on order. On it's flying ability. I don't really understand why it flies so much nicer than my H9 Super Cub (which flies nice). It's hard to describe the difference but it just has a more positive feel on the sticks. It doesn't seem to have the usual cub sluggishness that most have when flying scale speeds. The SC has a Saito 150 and it doesn't seem to move out any better than the Sig w/OS120. Kind of makes me want to change the prop on the Saito from a 16x6 to the same 16x4 on the OS to see if it's the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast