Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Catalina Kyosho PBY Seaplane - Advices

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Catalina Kyosho PBY Seaplane - Advices

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 AM
CptAlex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalina Kyosho PBY Seaplane - Advices

Hello everyone,
I've a Catalina PBY Seaplane (Kyosho) and I would like some advices because i can't get it off water !
So after a LOT of tries I had to stop because I broke the wood propeller with water (!) and i have some questions :
- First, as mentioned in lot of topics, when the plane takes some speed, it creates a wave that goes directly into the propeller (8*6 btw) and stops the plane. The previous owner put some "counter-wave" on the front of the plane (like a bumper), so i don't know whether it's a good solution or not but what solution could i use to reduce the wave because I'm no expert in boat
- Second, I managed to take off by pushing it with my hand so that it takes a high speed directly, but when it took off, the center of gravity was not good so i couldn't fly it. So here's the dilemma if I put too much weight on the rear the center shift to the back and if i don't put this weight i can't take off... So what about making the 2 floats on the wings with higher rods ? This way I will lower the waterline and have less water in the motor ? What do you think ?
- If someone can send me the manual ?
- Then if you have a solution
Thank you
Alexandre
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM
CptAlex

Default RE: Catalina Kyosho PBY Seaplane - Advices

So no one here got an answer ?
I have now the manual in pdf but it doesn't help with my first question... My center of gravity is too much on the rear, and when i adjust it, i will have a bigger wave...
No idea ??
Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Of course we have.
13 years ago I put togheter two of those Catalinas, one for a friend and one for myself.
Both were powered with OS .15 engines, one using FP and one LA engines, and APC 8x5 props.
Both took off from water easily and both flew (fly) exceptionally well; I still have mine.

I did some modifications to both models to have them more scale like. What I did was rasing the wing slighly to have the wing sit at a more scale like position. I raised the wing 6mm by adding plywood and 24hour epoxy/micro balloons to the wing sadle.But only to raise the front portion of the saddle.I did not put anything under the rear part of the wing saddle.

I also used only one throttle servo and replaced the heavy wooden side and elevetor wooden dowels with thinnest possible fishing steel wire (pull-pull sytem) , also took up some lightening holes on the underside of the wing to make it lighter and at the same time replaced the thick heavy wing covering with silver Oracover plast film to make the Catalina look like a version used in the Swedish marine airforce in 1951 (the one that was hot down by Russian MIG 15 in the Baltic sea).

So it is vital that you make it as light as possible! I use the original C of G position. Rasing the outer pontoons will not work!
The best I can think of is doing as I did by raising the wing up front, by making the wing sadle 6mm higher up front and replacing those 8x6 props with 8x5 APC props.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76509.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1800467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22780.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1800468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44352.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1800469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37601.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1800470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88730.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1800471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79139.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1800472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64934.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1800473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44948.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1800474  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65874.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1800475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw21189.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1800476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60590.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	1800477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv39473.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1800478  
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM
oletbird

jaka :
Please don't go away yet. I guess that I'm another lost Kyosho SQS Catalina PBY kit owner.
Your info that you posted here is really great stuff. It's nice that you have had the actual experience building and flying this kit.
I'm hoping that you can answer my question, and that is :
Access to sanctioned water oriented flying sites is extremely limited in this area.
Does any one have scale drawings or a set of landing gear for this model. I understand that some of the kits came with the landing gear frame. It may have been a poor quality but at least it would provide something to build by.
I don't want "mega bucks" equipment but just bent wire gear. I would really appreciate any info you could supply.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 AM
jaka

Hi!
My two Catalina kits did not have landing gear as the later kits had.
If you are not going to fly from water you could make your own landing gear (Semi scale) from 2-3mm piano wire that you bolt to the sides if the fuselage.Some reingforcements to the fuselage sides is necessary in that case though.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:10 AM
oletbird

Jaka: Thanks for the quick reply I was hoping I could get a drawing or, in fact, the actual landing gear from the kit. It is an old kit but I could "wish" anyway. I will take your advice and "do it myself" . I have a NIB never used FOX .60 Eagle model 26600 that I will try to trade for a couple of .15 to .19 engines, hopefully NIB? Thanks again for your help and the other PBY postings that you have made. It is a pleasure to have members like you on this site.
Eric
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 AM
jaka

Hi!
Thanks for the kind words Eric.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:59 PM
sjohns

Hey cptalex, I found one in swap meet and was wondering what power supply you decided on using. glow or electric? and if electric what motor kv, what amp esc did you use? Thanks for any advice and information.