Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Ken Willard's DRAKE II

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Ken Willard's DRAKE II

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
STEVEB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ken Willard's DRAKE II

Maiden flew my most recent project: Ken Willard's Drake II seaplane. Notwithstanding the first flight was an unassisted take off from our grass field, it still flew great. Have now completed a float test in my flying buddy's in-ground pool. No leaks. With the limited space of the pool, the Drake showed that it comes up quickly and will ROW as easily as it ROG in the first flight. The rudder was responsive enough given the two additional verticle fins but not overly crisp. If this is my only complaint I'm too hard to please!

I converted the glow in the original to an electric. Plenty of power, cruising at about 40% throttle with the battery pack bringing the CG to the recommended spot. The triple tail is neat looking in the fly-by.

I'm starting out with a 3S 2100 LiPo with a 1410KV outrunner. The speed controller is a 30A. Both motor and speed controller purchased at the most recent WRAM show.

Now it's time to wait for 6 Oct for a float fly in Fredericksburg, VA. Can't wait.

S. Barnett
CBRC
Arnold, MD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42766.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1799904