Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Average Float Weight for 5.5# Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Average Float Weight for 5.5# Plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 08:31 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average Float Weight for 5.5# Plane

Just about finished with my floats for my Goldberg Falcon. The plane AUW is 5.5# and my floats without attachment struts weight 1.5#. They are 33.5" long, white foam and fiberglassed with spruce reinforcement. Is this about right or am I heavy? Just wondered if I was in the ball park, not knowing what a typical set of floats for a .40 trainer usually weighs. Hope my OS .40 will be enough power.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:46 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Average Float Weight for 5.5# Plane

My 34" balsa sheeted foam core floats are 18 oz. per pair. So if I would fiberglass them I guess they would be near 1.5 lbs, so I think you should be OK. If youy have flown your plane on wheels with enough power, you should be OK with the floats.......Seaplane
Old 09-10-2003, 09:39 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seaplane-thanks for the info-did not balsa sheet mine-went with fiberglass instead-just trying something different-looks like mine may be the "heavy" method. Will try balsa next time. Fiberglassing is not easy for me anyway, always seem to get a less than satisfactory finish. Flip
Old 09-12-2003, 06:20 AM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flip, I assume you used epoxy resin since the figerglass resin eats the foam. I've had good luck thinning the epoxy 1:1 with alcohol for the first couple coats, then adding baby powder to the mixture for the final coats. The powder sure makes sanding easier and it smells like a baby when sanding LOL. I've also tried water based polyurethane, but it is not as hard as epoxy...........Seaplane