Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

floats for gp tiger moth

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

floats for gp tiger moth

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 04:45 PM
rvwise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default floats for gp tiger moth

can some one help me with the size and style of floats to build for the gp tiger moth bi plane? the plane ways 11# has a ws of 71" and is 60" long. for a scale look do i need three floats, two mains and a tail float or just two? what should they look like? thanks for any and all input. rv wise
Old 09-13-2003, 07:52 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: floats for gp tiger moth

2 floats.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2003, 10:02 AM
rvwise

thanks JIM , your reply has got me going down the right path. i like the idea of two floats more than three. is there a way to figure out the the size? i do not have any info on this. is the picture of the plane you posted yours? thanks alot for your reply, rv wise
Old 09-13-2003, 07:38 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not my plane.

I did a Google image search for Tiger Moth. I found Bajillions of pictures, more planes than bugs, but even a couple of pictures of a pedigreed dog named tigermoth.
This was the only picture of a tiger moth on floats.

Sizing floats: Length of floats is 75-80% of the propeller washer to rudder hinge-line distance. So if it's 53" use 40" floats (typically called .60 size). Your 60" overall length probably includes the rudder and the spinner, so I subtracted a bit.....

Step of the float should be just slightly behind the balance point...1/2" or so.

Wing incidence should be 3-4 degrees positive relative to the top surface of the float. Since you have a bipe and the wings have different incidences, use the average.

I am a big proponent of foam floats. Built-up floats make a good place to store water. So do fiberglas ones, but at least they don't rot. Blow-molded plastic is for detergent bottles, not floats.

Jim
Old 09-13-2003, 08:25 PM
rvwise

thanks Jim. your info has been great! now all i have to do is build a set and maybe i can have a water baby to play with. thanks again for taking the time to help me out. rvwise