Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Goldberg cub question

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Goldberg cub question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goldberg cub question

I am finally starting to finish an anniversary Goldberg cub, I am thinking about having the option for floats for it in the future, so I am wondering on the best way to do that before covering. I assume most people use the main gear and add some towards the back of the cabin area??? Does anyone have pictures of what they have done?

Thanks

Jon
Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Goldberg cub question

Double the floor in the aft part of the cabin to accept anchor points for the rear gear legs. 
After that, it's just a matter of how scale-like you want to make it. 
Google "Brown's Seaplane Base" for some really good photos of REAL cubs on floats. 
You can use these to fab your float struts as scale-like as you wish. 

Foam-cored floats from Seaplane Supply or PlaneFun floats.com are excellent choices and adequately close to scale. 
SeaCommander floats make true scale EDO floats of Fibergl***** but have been INOP recently
Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Minnreefer

Thanks Jim, I have ordered from Seaplane supply before and have been very happy with their service.

I will check out those sites, I am not looking for very scale, but I want it to look good.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
I_Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Goldberg Anivesey Cub on Great Planes floats (60 size).   They work well.   The stock mounting location for the main gear on the float and cub provide good alignment to position the float step in the correct place.  You are correct that the rear mount can be attached to lower rear cabin area on the fuse.  Simply angle the rear support to get the correct height/angle of attack.   I used the supplied nylon straps and some small wood blocks in the back of the cabin floor.  The float kit comes with an extra rear dorsal tail.   I never mounted it and never needed it.  Changing from floats to wheels is less than a 10min task.   It's a great flying plane off floats or wheels, you will enjoy it.