Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Piper Super Cub is Flying!

Thanks to all that helped me with the comments on installing a water rudder and new motor. Having just moved into a quarter scale gas from a nitro plane was a big step. With the help of my LHS and comments on RC universe I made a successful maiden voyage with a DLE 30. Here's a short clip of my last landing (I'm keeping the cowl off during the break in process). The plane has flaps but I was not using them for this landing. I recently figured out how to mix the elevator and flaps on my futaba 7C. This weekend I'll test the adjustment and see if it helps with ballooning effect caused by flap engagement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGgz_au4aM
    rsdonomoore

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Piper Super Cub is Flying!

That was a beautiful landing...I could not see the balooning...I do agree though, I always mix in some down elevator with the flaps on my Cubs... I always mix in some rudder with the ailerons too...I put that on a switch that I can turn off ...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You just had one little PIO on approach- no biggie! The landing was a greaser! Nice job! Put some people in that bird, gosh durn it...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bikerbc, thanks! Yeah, it wasn't ballooning in the video because I didn't use the flaps for that landing. I tried them at altitude just to see what it would do. Since the nose came up with the flaps, I set the elev-flap mix to -6%. I'll start there and see what happens and make necessary tweaks. Definitely more of a challenge with this bigger bird, I'm really loving it!

Arup, thanks also! I'm not sure about people ;-) but I do plan to put a gopro on board and get some video of our lake. It's an active seaplane base. I don't fly if I see any of the neighbors are flying their full scales.
    rsdonomoore

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got to fly for about 30 minutes after work today. Flap-Elev mixing works great, no more "ballooning". I only tried the flaps at altitude but still getting used to taking my hand off the controls to turn the knob. I just did some touch and goes with no flaps this time. Here's a video of one of the better ones. Loving my DLE 30 so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewg9ZXVxmHU
    rsdonomoore

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very very nice . That is slicker than snot on a roster.s beak...What kind of floats do you have? I make my own from solid foam..I cover them with fiber glass and system west epoxy...It is a bit of work but you end up with a set of strong lite floats that will never leak...I am making a set rite now for my 1/4 Cub... I am debating what to power my Cub with a Z26 , A MVVS 35 , or a DLE 30 What do you think of the DLE 30 ? MyP 18 Super Cub is about 18 lbs .
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Biker! That's the bad thing about buying a used plane. The person I bought it from said he bought the floats from a friend of his and didn't know who the maker was. I can tell you that they are made of balsa. Solid foam sounds like a good idea. I'm assuming you can't hollow a part of them out to run a servo in there? In my case, I mounted a servo in the left float and ran a control rod to the hangar 9 stainless steel rudder I installed. On my nitro float plane, I used an abs plastic set of floats made by modelfly. They work awesome and have never leaked or given me any kind of problem. I ran a pull pull cable for the water rudder on that one. I'm no expert on gas engines as I'm just moving up from my nitro planes. Being a long time gear head I can tell you that I really am liking the DLE 30. I'm running a 19x8 prop on it and has tons of power so far. I can take off with just 1/4 throttle with no danger of stalling. I'm still on the break in period so I haven't given it full throttle yet. I believe that this motor prop setup will be capable of going vertical easily. I like flying scale so I don't really need all the power that this motor has to offer but it's nice that it's there. After unboxing the motor it always begins to start with full choke after three flips. When it stumbles and dies, I turn the choke off and it starts with just one or two flips. I didn't even have to play with the factory needle settings. I did richen it up just a bit during this break just to be safe. I'd highly recommend this engine so far
    rsdonomoore

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try putting your flaps on a 3 position switch and set 0) at no flap, 2) 20deg of flap, 3) at 40deg of flap mix 5deg of down elevator with the 20deg of flap and mix 10deg of down elevator and set the mix to match the flap position switch as control-then go into your servo speed control and slow the flap servos down to .7 sec so the wing does not get jerked when going to different flap positions. The 0-20-40 degree flap positions are pretty standard on full scale float planes and work very good on models. You will have to fly the plane high and get a feel for the changes in the different flap positions and you will need to adjust the elevator/flap mix to eliminate any pitching-my flap/elevator mixes are just a starting point. With the 3 position switch you do not mess with a knob and you get the flaps correct every time and you cut down on the time away from the stick in order to employ the flap switch and do not mix rudder to aileronthere will be plenty of times where you will employ the rudder and will not the ailerons involved. Let me know how it works out if you try it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sherman, that sounds like a good idea. I'll go back to this post if I can't get used to the knob. I like the idea of having a switch instead of the knob though. I also like using the rudder independent of the ailerons so I don't think I'll do any mixing of rudder/aileron. Thanks for the tips on the flaps!
    rsdonomoore

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very impressive flights/landings!! Really good camera work too. Ken, I didn't know you were a float plane guy.
    Gene
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Gray Beard! My wife did the camera work but she'd like a zoom lens to make it better. Check out my you tube channel, I just uploaded a video of my nephews gopro camera on my super cub for some on board flight video!
    rsdonomoore

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When you mix your rudder and ail on my radio the rudder still works independent of the ailerons..It is just when the ailerons are moved that the rudder moves and I like to have this on a switch so that you can shut it off when you chose too..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To the OP, what kind of super cub is that? I just bought the H9, will be going with the DLE 30