Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Tri Float width?

I am setting up a tower uproar 40 on tri floats, (tail dragger, old timer, hot timer floats) and was wondering if there is a specific width that they should be. Would they be the same as normal floats? I am going to bend some aluminum gear to 16" width center to center, but don't want to get too wide. Will this be ok?
    Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tri Float width?

I have a Lazy Bee on tri-floats. The track on the floats is wider than with wheels. The inside edge of the float would touch the outside of the wheel.

Hope this Helps.
    Walt
    WT in Illinois

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've set up a couple this way, I used the same wire that would receive the wheels which would make the floats center to center the same as the wheels, that just naturally makes them a little wide because of the width of the floats, never had a problem with either plane.

Latest here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11011705/tm.htm
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

I was planning on replacing the wire gear it originaly had with some aluminum gear. I took the wire gear out of the box and it is about 13.5" wide so I guess I will just make my aluminum gear about the same. I just wasn't sure if the try floats required more or less of a spread than dual float setups. 13.5" will give me just over 25% which is the standard on most float setups. The airplanes all up weight is supposed to be 3.5-4.0 lbs. I am putting a 46 on it and the floats so I will be up in the 4.5 - 4.75 lb range. The floats are about 3.5" wide and 16" long and 2.8" tall at the step. I have not got the tail float done yet. I wanted to see just how much bouyancy I needed for the rear after I get the fronts on.