Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Tri Float width?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Tri Float width?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri Float width?

I am setting up a tower uproar 40 on tri floats, (tail dragger, old timer, hot timer floats) and was wondering if there is a specific width that they should be. Would they be the same as normal floats? I am going to bend some aluminum gear to 16" width center to center, but don't want to get too wide. Will this be ok?
Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Tri Float width?

I have a Lazy Bee on tri-floats. The track on the floats is wider than with wheels. The inside edge of the float would touch the outside of the wheel.

Hope this Helps.
Walt
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I've set up a couple this way, I used the same wire that would receive the wheels which would make the floats center to center the same as the wheels, that just naturally makes them a little wide because of the width of the floats, never had a problem with either plane.

Latest here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11011705/tm.htm
Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

I was planning on replacing the wire gear it originaly had with some aluminum gear. I took the wire gear out of the box and it is about 13.5" wide so I guess I will just make my aluminum gear about the same. I just wasn't sure if the try floats required more or less of a spread than dual float setups. 13.5" will give me just over 25% which is the standard on most float setups. The airplanes all up weight is supposed to be 3.5-4.0 lbs. I am putting a 46 on it and the floats so I will be up in the 4.5 - 4.75 lb range. The floats are about 3.5" wide and 16" long and 2.8" tall at the step. I have not got the tail float done yet. I wanted to see just how much bouyancy I needed for the rear after I get the fronts on.