Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

PULSE 125 ON FLOATS

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

PULSE 125 ON FLOATS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
HK4ECG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PULSE 125 ON FLOATS

This plane flight really well. With home made floats looks awesome
http://youtu.be/TEldACgNoeQ
Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PULSE 125 ON FLOATS

Great video!!

The Pulses make great seaplanes. Mine is a 60 size, with home made Flybaby floats.

You'll bounce less on landings if you try pulling the nose up high just before touchdown. The big Pulse won't stall- it will just slow down real nice and touch real soft. Also, the Pulse doesn't like to go fast. I find that a 5" pitch prop is plenty, and it lets me slow down real nice for landings. Enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88498.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1861781  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 PM
HK4ECG

Thanks for your kind comments. Your Pulse 60 looks really beautiful with floats. The carbon fiber landing gear are awesome. If you have a video of this plane I would love to have a link to view. You are right about try  pulling the nose up high just before touchdown, however  I am not able to do this because the aircraft is tail heavy 240 grams (8.5 Oz). when I try to raise the nose a bit, the plane is still flying and  flying and flying and not able to land. Then the plane loses  speed and splash occurs. Tail overweight is due to an error in the fixing point of the floats. Will need to be moved forward until the steep is 1/2 " behind the CG (Actually 1-7/8") . This correction in the fixing point of the floats largely solve the excess weight in the tail. When I have corrected the problem, I will make a new video and share it with you so we can see the difference.

Thanks again

Carlos
Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 PM
bikerbc

I have the Pulse 125 and it is one of the nicesest flying planes I have ever flowen..I have never tried it on floats but I can see that I am going to have to give it a try...I have a OS max FS120 on the nose so I have lots of power...It is actually quite strong too..One day I was showing off how great I could land and how slow I could bring it in and I over did it and I did one of the worse bounces I have ever seen..I hit so hard I drove the landing gear into the wing on both sides...Man I really hit but other than some cracked balsa it was fine...I was so embarased ...I had done the old red neck " watch this " so everybody was looking...I got a few Did you do that on purpose ??? Nobody could believe that I would be that crappy at landing...I think I might like the 60 size better than the 125...
Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Mustang Fever

Carlos: I forgot to mention that the Pulses seem to be ok with the CG behind the rearmost recommended point. On my 60, I have the CG 1/4" to the rear of the rearmost recommended, and my 25e it's about 1/8".

Also, when I have floats on either one of them, I keep the step in front of the CG by 1/2" on the 60, and 1/4" on the 25e.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM
HK4ECG

Things like that happen to us all at some time in life. But that is no reason to be descouraged. The Pulse 125 is a great rc plane and with floats performs very well. In your particular case with FS 120 engine you are very powerful and will not have problems with floats. Go ahead and do the floats conversion.

Carlos
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM
HK4ECG

These considerations about the location of the CG and step seem very interesting especially because they are outside the design parameters normally used. I wonder if you initially put the step 1/2" behind the CG and then by trial and error was changing the location of the step (in front of the CG by 1/2" on the 60, and 1/4" on the 25e).

Thanks
Carlos
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Mustang Fever

I started out with the CG at the aft most recommended point, before putting floats on either one of them. During flight, it became apparent that they were both still nose heavy, as they required a lot of up trim for level flight, and were difficult to fly upside down. That's when I moved the CGs aft, and installed the floats. I've always placed the float steps forward of the CG by 1/4 - 1/2". Flying boats is another story. Small sport ones seem to like the step forward of the CG. Big scale ones are about impossible to do that with, you're stuck with the CG being a considerable distance forward of the step. (The 10' span Martin Mars I'm building shows the CG to be almost 4" forward of the step.) I think a little positive wing incidence (relative to the top of the float or the centerline of the flying boat hull) is more important than step/CG location. A touch of positive wing incidence makes it possible to take off with very little back pressure on the stick, which is what you want. If too much back pressure is required, the tail of the floats or the stern of the hull digs in and slows the airplane down.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM
HK4ECG

Thank you very much for your valuable comments, it shows that you are a person with good experience in floats and the development of model aircraft. I really appreciate your advice and technical considerations but especially appreciate your interest in my project. Based on your comments I have made some major changes in my pulse 125. The main change I made is about the incidence of the wing relative to the top of the floats. Before the incidence was 4 degrees, now only has 2 degrees

I've made ​​a video with the modifications already completed and a little later I will post it for you to have the opportunity to see and also to review

Thanks again for your time and your kindness

Carlos
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Mustang Fever

Thanks, Carlos. Good luck with it!!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM
HK4ECG

Here is the video.

http://youtu.be/cFZ3GnoZHzY
Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 AM
Mustang Fever

Carlos: Sweet!! Your landings are looking really, really great.

I didn't realize til now that yours is electric- what motor. prop, and battery did you use? (Mine's got an OS75AX in it)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM
HK4ECG

Thanks for your kind words.

My model setup:

Speed Control: Phoenix Ice HV 120 Extreme Air BL ESC by Castle Creations
Motor: Power 110 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 295Kv By E-Flite
Prop: APC Electric 16 x 12. This prop will be replaced with an APC 16 x 10
Power Pack: 2 x Turnigy 4 Cell 5000 mAh in Series. Total 8 Cell pack / 29.6V
Receiver Power: CC BEC 10A / 25v By Castle Set to 4.8V out and connected
through the balance terminal in orde to get only 25V