Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Northstar ailerons

Old 08-10-2013, 05:42 PM
SBOT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Northstar ailerons

I am building a Northstar; I'm thinking of leaving the ailerons full width instead of tapering them as shown on the plans. Are they tapered for any particular reason. I can't think of any reason why they should be tapered. Anyone have any thoughts.
Thanks,
Oscar
Old 08-24-2013, 09:03 AM
bikerbc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The North Star can be very fast .. I think the taper might reduce the risk of flutter .. The ailerons are very effective on the North Star.. I would keep the taper .. You need very little aileron throw . I would even consider laminating my ailerons just to make them a little stiffer . At the very least make sure your aileron stock is quite hard and dosen't flex much..
Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 PM
JimCasey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Deltas in my experience will roll faster than you can count, but they can be a little sluggish in pitch. Tapered ailerons take a little authority out of the ailerons so the plane is not too sensitive in roll. IF the Northstar used elevons, the tapered elevons would give you more pitch authority without making the roll rate too sensitive. This is sometimes referred to as "harmonized controls".
Earlier comment about flutter is also valid. I once watched an ENFORCER flutter and explode into a bazillion tiny pieces of monokote and balsa in a power dive. (The ENFORCER predated the North Star-both by Laddie)
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Bob93447

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone used dual servos, mounted back and on top of the wings, to avoid using the nyrods spec'd in the original Northstar design?

Search this Thread