Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: gee bee floats

gee bee floats

I have been given new in box gee bee mark IV 33 inch floats. Before I got these, was planning on making a goldberg eagle 2 into a float plane. Would these be the correct size? Anybody familiar with them as I get the idea that they are from back a ways. But as stated, these are new and never have been used. Hardware is there also. Any help, very appreciated. Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sure, they will work, just try to make the rigging as stiff as possible, they have a tendency to be wobbly,,

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
    Sure, they will work, just try to make the rigging as stiff as possible, they have a tendency to be wobbly,,

good luck
    GB floats are favorites to pick on. They are hollow and the mounting flange flexes. They can leak. That said, they are probably about the right size for an iggle.
    See fhe FAQ section of my website for tips about how to rig them. www.smilesandwags.com/floats.html.
    Jim Casey/Seaplane Nerd
    http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floats.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I've seen guys have issues with them when trying to get them to break free of the water. They can get stuck. A couple I've seen overcome this issue with pure lift / horsepower.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    3 or 4 summers back I was testing a seaplane for a guy and, as I recall, it had plastic Gee Bee floats. I have flown several different types of floats of all kinds, foam, fiberglass, plastic, wood, and I noticed these had the worst water handling of any of them. His plane was a .46 powered trainer and it still had trouble getting off the lake. On about the 3rd weekend, one of them leaked and that side of the plane went down. In my opinion, do not count on them.
    Ed Moorman, AMA 553, Former R/C Report Fun Aerobatics Columnist. 76 and up to my old tricks!