Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: foam coating

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

foam coating

I want to hear from anyone who has used StyroSpray 1000 or any other foam coating on pink, blue or white foam, even balsa! I want to coat an 8' ws Beaver using foam for the fuse and wing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have not used it but did a bit of research when I came across it a while back. I am sure you probably did also. There is another product called LS (liquid sheeting) that is sold by WOWPLANES.COM I think. It is sold in a smaller package but cost per oz is greater. The stuff only has a short shelf life so buying more quantity is not always better. The liquid sheeting company has did a pretty good video of application on youtube. I never did buy it but if you need more info about the stuff, RCGroups has quite a bit of info in the forums over there. They came to the conclusion that Styro1000 and LS were one in the same.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks, I've investigated all that information on both and have samples offered from Industrial Coatings and it looks great. I think WOW is reselling the IC product! I've searched all the UT videos on it's application and safety requirements. I just hoped someone had used it on a fuselage or wing so I could hear their comments and learn from their history with the coating. The IC people gave me a bit of news in their letter, a warning that the coating works much better on white foam and not the Pink or Blue insulating foams-I had mentioned that was my plan. They warned colored foams expand and contract much more in sunlight and the coating could crack if exposed to too much heat! I sure wanted to use the pink, it's just easier to work with and much cleaner(finer closed cell) sands great. Sanding the white stuff is horrible-never a smooth finish. I may have to venture where no man has gone! I'm looking at an 8 ft. WS Otter or a newer 8 ft.Twin Otter. I will have a build thread coming soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm sorry, the samples are from Industrial Polymers Corp. located in Houston, Texas 77047 - industrialpolymers.com They were brush applied on white 1" foam and a piece of 1/4 inch plywood. The finish was surprisingly smooth and glossy! It looks promising.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'll be watching for the new build thread. Your builds are always neat.