Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Post Seaplane recommendation.

I am looking to purchase an easy to fly plane for use on water. I currently fly a Hobby Zone Super Cub with floats, but it is way underpowered, and not equipped with ruddering devices which makes straight take offs very tricky. Can someone recommend an RTF seaplane with plenty of power, stability in the water, rudders, and tolerence to wind. I am more than a beginner but still need an easy to fly novice level plane. Thanks for any recommendation that are out there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you can handle a little speed, the Polaris is about as easy as it gets
    http://modelaero.com
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I second the polaris, however if more forgiving in what you need then get the larger polaris (XL?). It is more trianer like and a bit lighter wing loading. It will fly slower and look slower and give you more reaction time. You can fly them off water and grass, and if you protect the bottom good, any other surface.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The SuperCub on floats as other conventional planes on floats are "floatplanes". They are a bit harder to get set-up properly and are a little trickier to handle for a beginner. I would stick with a "seaplane" or "flying boat" where the fuselage is the hull and the planes rudder actually sits in the water or is directly behind the prop wash to give you good steering on the water.
    Seems like you want to stay electric too? Horizon is closing out the Icon seaplane for $150.00. It's a decent plane with plenty of power. The handling is OK and it would be a great step-up from the SuperCub but yet not be too much for you to handle. After that you can look at a larger floatplane or seaplane.
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...a5-bnf-PKZ5880
    Last edited by flyinwalenda; 09-23-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Brian Ray