Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Seaplane recommendation.

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Seaplane recommendation.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:50 AM
ken47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Seaplane recommendation.

I am looking to purchase an easy to fly plane for use on water. I currently fly a Hobby Zone Super Cub with floats, but it is way underpowered, and not equipped with ruddering devices which makes straight take offs very tricky. Can someone recommend an RTF seaplane with plenty of power, stability in the water, rudders, and tolerence to wind. I am more than a beginner but still need an easy to fly novice level plane. Thanks for any recommendation that are out there.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

If you can handle a little speed, the Polaris is about as easy as it gets
http://modelaero.com
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

I second the polaris, however if more forgiving in what you need then get the larger polaris (XL?). It is more trianer like and a bit lighter wing loading. It will fly slower and look slower and give you more reaction time. You can fly them off water and grass, and if you protect the bottom good, any other surface.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:26 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SuperCub on floats as other conventional planes on floats are "floatplanes". They are a bit harder to get set-up properly and are a little trickier to handle for a beginner. I would stick with a "seaplane" or "flying boat" where the fuselage is the hull and the planes rudder actually sits in the water or is directly behind the prop wash to give you good steering on the water.
Seems like you want to stay electric too? Horizon is closing out the Icon seaplane for $150.00. It's a decent plane with plenty of power. The handling is OK and it would be a great step-up from the SuperCub but yet not be too much for you to handle. After that you can look at a larger floatplane or seaplane.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...a5-bnf-PKZ5880

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 09-23-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hands down Flyzone's Tidewater available through Tower Hobbies
Old 05-05-2015, 07:20 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Hobby King skipper has good reviews
Old 05-09-2015, 01:20 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

You have room carbon cub on 6 s flys so nice lands like a feather.has a lot of power
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd put in another vote for the Flyzone Tidewater. VERY accommodating seaplane and her surface handling makes water action very enjoyable. I did put a slightly larger ESC in mine (from a Hadron), but friends fly them right out of the box with no problems. We had a float fly last weekend and I finally got up the courage to try the "Tidewater Tumble" and, happily, taught myself how to enter and - more importantly - exit the tumble. Opens up a lot of fun opportunities. With a bit of rudder to enter the tumble it will also do a "knife edge" spin - which is kind of different and also entertaining.

My favorite float plane is the Carbon Z Cub. "Plenty of power" is an understatement. With a 6S 4000mAh battery it will hang on the prop, with floats, and pull up out of the torque roll. WAY more than scale power, huge control throws . . . and it tames down to a kitten when you ask it. Very wide envelope. As BladeBender says: "Lands like a feather". Takes off in two float lengths from stopped on the water into a 6 mph headwind. What a hoot!

Get one of each!

Note that in this vfirst video the wind was in my face and I'm standing on a tree-lined shore. Had to land in a 15 mph crosswind - and not perfect but pretty good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6m81Mx-fdE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efVCh4Th96g
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1430_zpsc3747d7c.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2097130  
Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

For a first time float flyer the Tidewater is as easy as they get
Old 06-23-2015, 02:01 PM
bikerbc

I am also a big fan of the Carbon Cub . Its as easy to fly as they come and has way more than enough power . I am only using the 3300mAh batteries and the only reason I can see for using bigger ones would be longer flight times . I get about 12 to 15 mins when I am flying off floats . I also really like the Flyzone dhc-2 Beaver .. Its nice if you want something that you can take to the pond fully assembled .
Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 AM
Aoci62

I'm a fan of a SPEEDY Bee

http://youtu.be/ybLixSEE7Lg