Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hobby King Skipper

I've been flying this plane for about a week now & its been a lot of fun. It also seems to be generating quite a buzz with my club mates. I know a few have ordered one after watching me fly mine. Anyway here's a video I made...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Part 2
    I explore a few options for reinforcing the hull...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nodd, that is a copy of the Polaris which is a great airplane. I have built 2 polaris so far, one is heavy and one is light. You want to keep it light. It flys soooooo much better light. The most we usually put on the bottom of our Polaris is clear duct tape, and only from the step forward. It is durable and does not add much weight. On my light one I have only put colored packing tape on it and I really enjoy flying the light one compaired to the heavy one. It has held up quite nicely and I fly off grass alot. Don't get me wrong, a heavy Polaris will still fly well, the design is just that way, it just won't fly great. If you want some reading information on this type of airplane, look up the Polaris thread over on RCGroups.com. The designer of the model started the thread with a free design for the do it yourselfer, later a company got the rights to make a kit of the plans and then designed an arf that was later copied by other countries. There are over 1500 pages and 23000 posts and thats not a typo. It is everything you need to know about that planform and all modifications that will make it fly well. You can even learn how to build one yourself if you want to save a few bucks over the hobbyking price.
    Last edited by flybyjohn; 11-15-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hey John. Yeah as I mentioned in my video, I'm well aware this plane is a lot like the Polaris/North Star. That similarity is why I chose it.

Even with the carbon-fiber hull reinforcements, its by no means heavy. The CF only added 4% to the airframe's weight which on this already super light plane is negligible. The HK Skipper feels very light & agile in the air, flies very nicely.

Anyway thanks for the info on the Polaris. I was sorta hoping to discuss the HK Skipper here though. Its all good though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sorry Nodd, I only watched the second video because the carbon fiber bottom looked so good. Since the plane was new to you, I assumed you wanted information from others that have flown this type of plane and since the polaris was so similar, thought I would give you my experiences with it. Now after looking at the original video, I think I may have assumed wrong. Looks like you have already done the research and are giving your experiences of the plane. Sorry. The Skipper does look like a great airplane for the price and your videos are very profesional looking with a lot of great info and instruction in them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yeah don't get me wrong, I appreciated the info on your Polaris, especially the advice about keeping it light. I've tried flying my Skipper with larger LiPo packs & its just not the same experience. As with most airframes, no doubt they fly best with a light wing loading (there are exceptions to that of course). Maybe one of these days I'll pickup a "real" Polaris. Thanks again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Chris iv watched your videos , and subscribed ! also bought a skipper today,( cant wait for it to show at my door!) were do you get the carbon fiber? i cant find it around here.
    thanks for the videos keep them comming! do you think a 3s 2200kv will work in the skipper?
    FASTCRASHER: REVVER BRO#.221
    FLYEM FAST- CRASHEM HARD!!!!

Went to order mine just now & they are on backorder - dang!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTCRASHER View Post
    Chris iv watched your videos , and subscribed ! also bought a skipper today,( cant wait for it to show at my door!) were do you get the carbon fiber? i cant find it around here.
    thanks for the videos keep them comming! do you think a 3s 2200kv will work in the skipper?
    My apologies, I didn't notice your post until today. Here's a few sources for carbon fiber cloth...

A 3S 2200mAh LiPo will work but you'll have much better results with a lighter pack. I'd recommend...

• 3S 1300mAh LiPo
    • 3S 1600mAh LiPo
    • 3S 1800mAh LiPo

Quote Originally Posted by funnotcrazy View Post
    Went to order mine just now & they are on backorder - dang!
    Yeah not surprised, its a popular little plane. You should order it on backorder anyway. That way when HK gets their next shipment in you'll be first in line. Backorders take priority over new orders, its not uncommon for items to sell out in a matter of hours.